2015 - Sony PHA - 1A Portable Hi-Res DAC/Headphone Amplifier
May 17, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #182 of 430
  no ...of course not ... as long as the voltage remains 5 volts ... the extra amperage don't harm  ... i charge my walkman with the usb hub 500 mA .. external charger 1.2 and 2 A without any harm 

the recommended  charger by sony for this amp is 5volt 1A 

Ok, my bad 
tongue.gif

May 18, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #184 of 430
With the A-17 do you use the digital cable that comes with the PHA-1 and does the battery life of both Sony items then take a dive?

I do use the cable that came with the PHA-1A and I am not having any battery issues.

May 18, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #185 of 430
I know that my Etymotics are not the earphones de jour and that some of you like the bass thump that seems unnatural to me. I love my music as flat as it comes. That being said, I have to say that I am really coming to love the way this setup sounds. It has become very engaging over time.

May 18, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #187 of 430
I do use the cable that came with the PHA-1A and I am not having any battery issues.

Same here.   I would imagine that the A17 being hooked up to the pha-1a would use less of it's battery as it's no longer using it's internal amp to power headphones.   I used up the battery on the 1a in around 6 hrs, yet the meter on the a17 was still reading 3 bars after a full charge.  

May 18, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #188 of 430
I know that my Etymotics are not the earphones de jour and that some of you like the bass thump that seems unnatural to me. I love my music as flat as it comes. That being said, I have to say that I am really coming to love the way this setup sounds. It has become very engaging over time.

I have had my Etymotic ER4s for 15 years and they are still making me very happy, especially as the rest of my equipment improves.  Just alone with the NW-ZX2 they are great.

May 18, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #189 of 430
I have had my Etymotic ER4s for 15 years and they are still making me very happy, especially as the rest of my equipment improves.  Just alone with the NW-ZX2 they are great.

I use my custom earpieces on mine and it does make a noticeable difference.

May 19, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #190 of 430
So.....it seems like this questions hasn't yet been answered:

How does the PHA-1A compare to the Oppo HA-2??
Not considering the bass boost on the HA-2, that is.

May 20, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #191 of 430
The 20% off coupon for select headphones in the official sony store also works for this amp, I'm not sure what the rules on posting codes are but a quick google search will take care of that. Needless to say ive got one on the way, after shipping and tax it was about $260. :wink:

May 20, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #192 of 430
So I received my replacement and the treble and brightness are less with this one. I agree with the poster who said the first one I had maybe defective. I also tried my Audio Technica M50 32 ohms with the replacement and it sounds darn good, the bass is there, heard and felt. I think that my Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 Ohms was aiding with the brightness and not helping. I wish I could find a headphone just as comfortable as the DT770. I could try and get the DT770 80 Ohms since I read that they have bass that the 250 ohms version lacks or get the M50X.

May 21, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #193 of 430
  So.....it seems like this questions hasn't yet been answered:

How does the PHA-1A compare to the Oppo HA-2??
Not considering the bass boost on the HA-2, that is.

I was about to get the ha-2 (I'm a unashamed Oppo fan boy) but changed my mind when I saw the cables needed to use the ha-2 and the a17 together.  Sonys solution was much simpler with their 'proprietary'  cable included.   Sorry Fizban, I can't answer how the sound differences  are between the two amps but can say I am completely satisfied with the pha-1a.   After a week with it, the sound is opening up to where I don't care what other amps sound like, it's a very good match with the a17. Color me saaatisfied 
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #194 of 430
The 20% off coupon for select headphones in the official sony store also works for this amp, I'm not sure what the rules on posting codes are but a quick google search will take care of that. Needless to say ive got one on the way, after shipping and tax it was about $260.
wink.gif

I can't find the coupon!

May 21, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #195 of 430

I was about to get the ha-2 (I'm a unashamed Oppo fan boy) but changed my mind when I saw the cables needed to use the ha-2 and the a17 together.  Sonys solution was much simpler with their 'proprietary'  cable included.   Sorry Fizban, I can't answer how the sound differences  are between the two amps but can say I am completely satisfied with the pha-1.   After a week with it, the sound is opening up to where I don't care what other amps sound like, it's a very good match with the a17. Color me saaatisfied 
biggrin.gif

It's alright!
You're not obliged to do the comparison so no need to apologize! haha

AAAAAND we're back at square one *sad*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back