1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

2014 tube amp rankings

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by kokushu, Sep 1, 2014.
  1. kokushu
    I remember back in the day skylab did a really good ranking of all tube/hybrid amp.  Unfortunately that threads have been closed.  So I want to do another list for people who doing research could look into it.  I am currently myself looking for a tube amp.  It would be nice if it was integrated but definitely the headphone section is the most important.  Here is some of the canidate

Within my budget: basically around $2k and below

Schiit Vahalla 2
    Schiit Lyr 2
    Apex Peak/Volcano
    RWA Cassabria
    DNA Sonett 2
    Eddie Current Super 7 (if somehow I could get one)
    Woo Audio 22
    RSA The Raptor
    Little Dot MK VIII
    Decware Taboo MKIII

Out of my budget: currently
    Eddie Current BA
    Eddie Current 445
    Eddie Current ZD
    Woo Audio 5
    DNA Stratus
    ALO Studio Six
    Leben CS 300 or 600
    Cavalli Audio Liquid Glass

There might be other I might forget but these are the one I did the most research at.  There are certain one I kind of prefer but most of them I really hadn't audition for an extended period of time.  This will open all kind of worms but I eventually want to do a tier list for tube amp so people who are in my position could have a decent starting guide.

2. Nympho
    Schiit Vahalla 2 or Woo Audio 22 would take my vote.

3. kokushu
    Forget to mention the leben cs 300.  That is the one I want the most right now if it come at under 2k price.  I remember hearing it and it sound really good but hadn't able to try it again for such a long time.

4. kokushu
    Even thought I am looking at Cavalli I can't believe I forget to include them.  The Cavalli Liquid Glass is what I am most interested in.

5. Nhubley
    WA 22 is great. I heard the Liquid Fire with the HD800 and dammm what an amp. 

6. hodgjy
    Get yourself a Trafomatic Head One and call it a day.

7. gradofans
    I just got a raptor recently ,it is pretty good for me to drive HD600 even with the original tubes .Cheers 

8. AnalogSavior