2014 Model SMSL SAP-5 Portable Headphone Amplifer Introduction / Impressions
Aug 17, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #106 of 206
@ClieOS Thank you. Very educational for us amateurs.

Aug 17, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #107 of 206
Pleasing results with Shure SRH940 and SMSL SAP-5 atm, plenty of power on tap and impressive soundstage. Running the amp from Aune T1's line out I'm much preferring the SMSL amp over Aune's headphone out for this pairing. I really think SMSL are onto a winner, from the iPod Video pairing to Aune line out, it continues to create more than satisfactory results.  

Aug 17, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #108 of 206
Pleasing results with Shure SRH940 and SMSL SAP-5 atm, plenty of power on tap and impressive soundstage. Running the amp from Aune T1's line out I'm much preferring the SMSL amp over Aune's headphone out for this pairing. I really think SMSL are onto a winner, from the iPod Video pairing to Aune line out, it continues to create more than satisfactory results.  

Choo..chooooooo :D

Aug 17, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #109 of 206
Choo..chooooooo
biggrin.gif

Having my own little personal rave party. 
tongue.gif

I can't go for too long though, I have flashbacks of the late 90's,  really freaks me out.

Aug 17, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #111 of 206
So the moniker " Uncle H20" do apply in this case ....muahahhhaaaaaaa

One thing SAP-5 has over NX1 is mid-range samples seem to separate more precisely, so you'll make out background instruments easier, though atm with SHR940 results using bass heavy music is really pleasing, even at higher volumes. (bass-boost) off. There's no clipping the bass is tight, it's quite a detailed, clean, little amp for the price.

Really look forward to your impressions, be interesting to get your thoughts next to NX1. I think for me SAP-5 is my choice. 

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #112 of 206
Will post me impression when they arrive ...though me not so well versed in sound terminology ....simpleton like me ...muahahhaaaaaa....

Cant wait for it to arrive ...

Cheers.

Aug 18, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #115 of 206
@H20Fidelity & @bhazard

Me listen to lotsa blues music ...which would be your choice ( NX1 and Sap-5s) if this sort of track were used to ...

Thanks
wink.gif
. The track actually starts at 1.43 ...

The amp won't matter. The headphone will dictate the sound, and your Havi will be great with it.

Aug 18, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #116 of 206
I can't decide between the NX1 or sAP-5 either. Both are great, and both seem flat/neutral (which I like). The sAP seems less prone to EMI, which may be the deciding factor.

Then again, Its been 2 months and I still haven't had to charge the NX1. Crazy.

Do you hear the slight colouration with SAP-5? I notice from memory it sounds smoother than NX1. 

I know one thing for certain, the C&C BH amp I have here on loan is being used very little atm. 

Aug 18, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #117 of 206
Think I'm going to pass on both the NX1 and SAP-5 for the moment and wait and see how the Fiio E-11k fairs with reviewers.  A little more expensive, but it seems like you get what you pay for most of the time in this hobby (or should I say addiction).

Aug 18, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #118 of 206

Will post me impression when they arrive ...though me not so well versed in sound terminology ....simpleton like me ...muahahhaaaaaa....

Cant wait for it to arrive ...

Cheers.

I'm still on the fence as to either get the nx1 or sap5..
I'll be waiting on your input.
rolleyes.gif

I can't decide between the NX1 or sAP-5 either. Both are great, and both seem flat/neutral (which I like). The sAP seems less prone to EMI, which may be the deciding factor.

Then again, Its been 2 months and I still haven't had to charge the NX1. 
So both work well with the b3? In terms of soundstage and imaging and clarity, are both pretty much equal?

@H20Fidelity rockboxed the iPod video and it made using it a lot better. Sound seems to have improved as well.. Maybe this part's placebo.. But I definitely appreciate that now I can load up my flac files. Will try to rockbox the IPC next. Lol
Thanks!
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back