2014 Model SMSL SAP-5 Portable Headphone Amplifer Introduction / Impressions
Aug 12, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #46 of 206
I ...wouldn't go there, Wokei. That's dangerous territory, and will only make your audio hobby much more difficult. Believe me, you don't want to try.

Yup ...me think so tooooooo.....sad though ..the last we had a wee bit tiff ...she took me FIIO X3 ...for her own use and now me left with me Zip Clip .....she also check me Veeza card monthly statement ...me already applied for a new card and billing address to me office ...muahaaaaaaahaaaaaaaa.....

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #47 of 206
Yup ...me think so tooooooo.....sad though ..the last we had a wee bit tiff ...she took me FIIO X3 ...for her own use and now me left with me Zip Clip .....she also check me Veeza card monthly statement ...me already applied for a new card and billing address to me office ...muahaaaaaaahaaaaaaaa.....

You're doing it wrong. Don't buy a new pair of IEMs or headphones, or even an amp. Buy her a new pair of shoes, and mention how much you miss your Fiio X3. Then you get your Fiio X3 back, AND she's happy.

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #49 of 206
Btw ..did you enjoy Portishead ?

Sure, I'm ordering some of their albums to check out...

Some more photo's of SAP-5 with iPod Video, featuring the included SMSL cable. Keep in mind I have a DX50 & DX90 units here though have been sticking to the iPod for the time being. It seems to offer quite an improvement from the iPod alone, especially in that refinement I mentioned previously and soundstage width.

I have compared with FiiO L9 and much prefer the sound of their included  SMSL cable (non cable believers need not apply)

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #52 of 206

Better than the NX1?

I think so yes, for the extra $10 it's worth the sound improvement, the only thing SAP-5 hasn't got over NX1 is gain switch and I haven't tested many full-size headphones yet, SAP-5 is marketed to run IEM's though. It was however driving Shure SRH440 quite easily earlier today. As we know Topping could drive DT880 (250ohm) to at least satisfactory levels in high gain. With SAP-5 having a set gain it might not be so lucky. Sadly, my Beyer aren't here to test any longer. But I am enjoying the sound of SAP-5 more so than NX1 during the first day, yes. 

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #53 of 206
I think so yes, for the extra $10 it's worth the sound improvement, the only thing SAP-5 hasn't got over NX1 is gain switch and I haven't tested many full-size headphones yet, SAP-5 is marketed to run IEM's though. It was however driving Shure SRH440 quite easily earlier today. As we know Topping could drive DT880 (250ohm) to at least satisfactory levels in high gain. With SAP-5 having a set gain it might not be so lucky. Sadly, my Beyer aren't here to test any longer. But I am enjoying the sound of SAP-5 more so than NX1 during the first day, yes. 

Better sounding? Elaborate please... :/

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #54 of 206
Better sounding? Elaborate please... :/

I'll know more in a few days, as I only put about 4-5 hours in, but the noticeable differences over NX1 are better refinement around the mid-range, it sounds a little more advanced than NX1 with that slight coloration and clarity mixing together, plus the soundstage with iPod video is really impressive, (at least using T-Peos H-300).

I think once I spend a few days with SAP I can say more as I must learn what the amp is trying to tell me. Though the C&C BH amp I loaned for comparisons is getting very little run time and sounds blurry or foggy compared to SAP. The battery on SAP-5 arrived with who knows how much charge? I've probably put 5 hours on it already. I can't even tell anyone the quoted run times so about to contact my seller and ask.

Here's one final photo before I go with the SAP next to C&C BH.

Aug 13, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #57 of 206
Two eBay sellers have informed me SAP-5 is good for 40+ hours a charge. Keeping in mind 3-4 hours to complete a full charge. 

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #59 of 206
  Is the USB just for charging or can it be used to play audio from a computer like an external soundcard?
Also, does it work while charging?

Hi,

USB is just for charging.

SAP-5 is only a portable amplifier and doesn't have a DAC, however SMSL recently released another product.

SMSL M2 dac/amp. Basically identical to SAP-5 in apperarence though for the purpose you're asking with a DAC  section.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2014-NEW-SMSL-M2-Portable-headphone-amplifier-external-DAC-decoder-sound-card-/251536310050?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var&hash=item3a90bb7f22&_uhb=1

Keep in mind this product can only be used from a laptop / PC, not from portable sources such as iPod.

Regarding SAP-5 being using whilst charging, I haven't tested the unit yet, though assume so.

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #60 of 206

Hmm, wonder how powerful this amp can be without gain switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back