2013 Bay Area Headphone Meet & Headmasters (CAS4) Impressions Thread (8/9~8/11)
Aug 12, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #32 of 300
Okay, finally I have some time for this.

The rest of my photos are still processing, so I'll upload them once I'm done.

Here are all I have of the Audeze closed-back prototype. I'm sure I've captured most (if not all) of the faces that got to put them on.

Liu Tim should sign up to be a model for Audeze!

Classic!

Here's another potential model:

And wolfetan, this should be your Facebook profile photo!

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #34 of 300
I'll put that as my avatar on here soon. Warren and hifiguy suggested I do that..

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #36 of 300
Holy crap. If headphones can make me smile like that... I obviously need a job in the industry.

L3000.gif

BTW... nice photos!

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #37 of 300
Quote:
I'm definitely in for next year!

+1.  I am for sure as well.  Just say when.  Now, I have a year to acquire more gears. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #38 of 300
Aug 12, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #39 of 300
Man I can't believe I wasn't in the room to hear the closed Audeze's.  So sad now.  But amazing photos.  
beerchug.gif

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #40 of 300
I was very impressed by The Abyss (though I've love their design to begin to focus on human heads), however I'm not sure I'd walk away with solid impressions of a 009 v. Abyss comparison with the Cavalli amp. Nothing against it, just I've heard the 009 sound better (say about 15 feet to its left). 

The below were all impressive:
Reel + Blue Hawaii + 009s
PWD + Liquid Gold + The Abyss 
Gungnir + Mjolnir + HD800

Know I'm late to the game, but the bang for buck of the Gungnir + Mjolnir would probably be my target if I was starting over again. 

Least impressive: 
Alpha Dog

Haven't been following the buzz, though it seems like it's out there. Reminds me of the Grado mods of years ago. People made substantial improvements, but in the end they were a little wonky and never really matched the quality of other phones (even Grados) of their resulting mod costs. The Alpha Dog certainly has quite an extended horizontal soundstage so kudos to them for the accomplishment, but the result is still a $600 hallow/cavey closed can (with Gungnir + Mjolnir at least).   

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #41 of 300
Quote:
I wish I was able to do the entire show.  There were so... much to see and hear.  Getting to hear this and hanging with these guys was definitely the highlight of the show for me.  I think those who were there would agree. 
biggrin.gif

That IS the new prototype Audeze closed-back!  And I was honored and proud to have my dear friend Mr. Alex Rosson come and share the musical goodies
with us at the meet!  I was also VERY lucky that I got to use my MacBook/Amarra rig with the Woo WA7 (thanks to @warrenpchi) to drive them!

GREAT times

Quote:
Is that...the newest prototype of the closed LCDs?

Quote:
Well, we are up nice and early on a Sunday. I had a great time. It's always nice catching up with online friends.

Highlights - the headmaster room was really nice and wide open, with lots of chairs and rigs, so it was never hard to find something to listen to. Frank and Constantine, if you are looking in, take note - in my opinion, the nice big vendor room was really nice.

The Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs were a big hit with me, and are will be my next upgrade.

The Woo Audio 7 Fireflies is a wonderful amp! A great size, built in DAC, and sounds stunning. There was a WA 22 and a WES 6. The little fireflies fared well in the comparison.

Cavalli Audio - beautiful pretty much covers it.

Abyss - ugly and expensive, but at least it's uncomfortable...

LCD2 - a lovely headphone, but not one I aspire to own.

LCD3 - a brilliant headphone.

HE500 - I had 2 different pairs in my hand, and no listen. Again. I'm such a bonehead.

Schiit Gugnir and Mjolnir stack - big, but really nice. I want one.

Denon D7000 - I still love them...

HD800 - I need to hear these away from a meet. So far, they just don't move me.

That's all I've got - nice meet, great vendor show, and a world class 2 channel stereo show right next door!

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #42 of 300
My avatar is for you, Warren.

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #44 of 300
guys, you don't have to wait till next August for the next show. There's CanJam 2013 in Oct. and L.A. meet in March 2014. http://www.head-fi.org/t/669567/2013-canjam-rmaf-oct-11-13-2013-one-of-the-worlds-finest-headphone-audio-shows http://www.head-fi.org/t/675120/ic-la-socal-regional-spring-meet-march-8-2014

Aug 12, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #45 of 300
Quote:
guys, you don't have to wait till next August for the next show. There's CanJam 2013 in Oct. and L.A. meet in March 2014. http://www.head-fi.org/t/669567/2013-canjam-rmaf-oct-11-13-2013-one-of-the-worlds-finest-headphone-audio-shows http://www.head-fi.org/t/675120/ic-la-socal-regional-spring-meet-march-8-2014

Damn. That would be so cool to go to either, but I cannot:frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back