2012 Best DAC & AMP for Sennheiser HD650
Jun 5, 2012 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

rajivranjan

New Head-Fier
I am planning to upgrade to more serious listening. For headphones I have always been big fan of Sennheisers hence finalised on HD650. Looking forward to use the cans for

Use 1 - On chair entertainment
  Source : Apple MacBook Pro
  Amp : ??
  DAC : ??
  Headphone : Sennheiser HD650

Use 2 - Little mobile in-home entertainment
  Source : Apple iPod touch
  Amp : ??
  DAC : ??
  Headphone : Sennheiser HD650

I read lot of discussions and articles to choose the best of Amp & DAC to fit the 2 uses. I have around £200.00 to £300.00 to invest on best Amp + DAC. Waiting for response. Thanks :)

Jun 5, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 28
the Nuforce iCon iDo, Fiio E17 + E9, Nuforce iCon HDP, Matrix Mini i and iBasso D7 are pretty good sounding for the price will power the HD650 well.

Jun 5, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 28
Thanks Mutnat. I tried finding ways to get these amp in UK. Which doesn't look straight forward. Do you know any alternative?

Thanks Zarim for your suggestions. I was reading another discussion on head-fi @
http://www.head-fi.org/t/599568/need-desktop-amp-dac-for-my-sennheiser-hd-650-under-250/15

There wasn't any conclusion on the best amp + dac combination.
Other head-fier preferred money spending on AMP rather on DAC. What is your opinion? Apart from
1. NuForce iCon iDo
2. Fiio E17 + E9
3. NuForce iCon HDP
4. Matrix mini
5. iBasso D7

What do you suggest about schiit asgard? Is it advisable to just buy Asgard without investing on DAC?

Jun 9, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 28
I've got an asgard paired with my HD650. My setup is currently onboard MOBO soundcard -> asgard->hd650. 
In terms of the amp performance, it does make a hell lot of different than just running it through my pc's audio jack. I dont have first hand experience on a dac tho, planning to get a bifrost but open to suggestions.

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 28
Well, after some research I think either of below should help Senn hd650 sound it's best in the price range of under £400.

1. NuForce Icon HDP
2. Maverick AudionTubemagic D1

Really confused between the two; hence looking for headfiers to share some experience here.

Jun 10, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #7 of 28
Go with the TubeMagic since you have way more features. And it is made for the HD650, in fact they always use the HD650 to test the amp!
And for portable, PA2V2, CMoyBB or Graham Slee Voyager

Jun 18, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #10 of 28
I personally think the Schiit Bifrost and Asgard make one hell of a combo. Shoot, that combo could probably drive 600ohm cans easily!

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #12 of 28
Sunninho I have a laptop as my source of digital files and planning to take USB output to drive the DAC and Headphone amp. Xonar will not help me there. Do you suggest "NuForce Icon HDP" is better than "Schiit Bifrost and Asgard together" ? 

BTW I have bought Sennheiser HD650 and am really amazed with the quality of sound being produced. Currently I playing songs directly from iPod straight to HD650. I'm sure if I bring in a DAC+Headamp combo in between; will bring a new dimension to the sound to these 300 ohm cans. What say?

Jun 18, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #13 of 28
From what I understand, and forgive me for not having tried any of them and going only from specs, the HDP and Xonar both require A/C power as they are not "portable" amps that run solely on battery power.  It seems, though, based on popularity and reviews that the Icon HDP is the way to go when compared with the Asus Xonar Essence One. 

As for portability, if you're planning on using an iPod a lot, I'd just go with the Schiit Bitfrost/Asgard combo.  From your considered list, that's probably the best all-in-one solution for both PC and iPod.

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #14 of 28
Hi,

I have the NuForce icon HDP and the Asgard as well as a Valhalla. I don't have the hd650 though but the hd598. The Asgard and HDP will both open new soundscapes on your headphones, richer, roomier, fuller sound.

I mostly use the HDP as DAC connected to the Asgard.

Whatever way you are going, it will be an improvement. The HDP is closest to being sort of portable, compared to the Schiits, which are certainly no devices you want to travel with. However even the HDP will need a power socket.

I am very happy with both of them, but if you ask me for a recommendation it would be Bifrost with Asgard. That combo is future proof and amazing bang for your buck. I doubt you would ever need anything else as, they are the perfect companions for Senns.

Cheers,
K

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #15 of 28
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back