2011 College Football Thread
Nov 12, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #361 of 564
Looks like Stanford may also be going down...

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #364 of 564
Wow - what a Saturday!

I thought Stanford would have trouble with the Ducks, but thought it would be a lot closer and expected Stanford to pull it off. But you are not going to win with five turnovers. Big props to the Ducks' D. Oregon got 22 points off turnovers. Take that away and there's only one point of difference. Still, the Ducks deserved that one. I'm nervous about next week - I don't think 'SC can beat Oregon. But I do think 'SC will keep it closer than Stanford did.

Also interesting to see Boise State go down. I thought they'd go undefeated.

And I took some pleasure in UCLA falling to the Utes. They could manage only two field goals. UCLA faces Colorado next week - that should be interesting. I sort of hope they win because that will mean a bowl. Though 'SC is going to flatten them. With seven wins and a bowl thre will be significant drama in Westwood over whether to give Neuheisel another year.

Edit: Forgot to mention that my Linfield College Wildcats (Division III) swept their season handily, finished 9-0 and are ranked no. 5. They should do well in the playoffs and I'm hoping for them to get to the Stagg Bowl. Also, Linfield just finished their 56th winning season - no other NCAA team in any sport has had as many winning seasons.

Now I'll just have to find a way to get degrees at the dominant division I-AA and II schools. :D

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #365 of 564
Well, there goes UT Austin's rank...  Too bad, I thought they had a good amount of momentum going on.

Nov 14, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #366 of 564
Where is Viro?  After all the smack talk this year about cheating in the SEC, I am waiting for him to address the latest news out of Norman.  Let's hear it dude.  Something about improper benefits to a player.  Is that not pay for play?

Nov 14, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #367 of 564
Man, it is getting mighty interesting.
Right now, there's a part of me that would love to see Okie State get beat, and for Arkansas to upset LSU.
Just to throw the whole sh'bang into chaos.

Try figgerin' that one out, voters!!!

After my Tigers were caught on the outside in 2004, I've been for a playoff system of some sort.
Having about 6 or 7 one-loss teams this year would make for a pretty strong argument for reform.

However, knowing the way things go, the Crimson Slime would end up ranked #1 or #2.
And so there's a part of me praying for OSU and LSU to go all the way... 
tongue.gif

Nov 14, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #368 of 564

Quote:
Man, it is getting mighty interesting.
Right now, there's a part of me that would love to see Okie State get beat, and for Arkansas to upset LSU.
Just to throw the whole sh'bang into chaos.

Try figgerin' that one out, voters!!!

OMG that WOULD throw things into complete chaos.  Hadn't even considered that scenario.  Wow.  And this is CFB - something else crazy will happen!

Nov 14, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #369 of 564
yep.
as kirk herbstreit pointed out, everyone seems to think that LSU is sitting in the clubhouse, waiting to see who they're gonna play in the NC.
but, they still have to play Arkansas.
eek.gif

Nov 14, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #370 of 564
And Akransas is playing very well, and Georgia seems to be improving.

Nov 14, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #371 of 564
ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Where is Viro?

Don't check Head-Fi much anymore, but it's good to see I'm missed. Riff on OU as much as you like. Won't hurt my feelers. Hell, I might check back more often.

The SEC does cheat but leave it to friggin' Penn State to one up that dirty league! Are you kidding me? The land of JoePa! My goodness, it's a scandal so dirty I have to wait to make a joke about it. It's just too soon and unsavory. 

Here is something I thought about recently. Why has Mark Richt not won an SEC championship since 05. Maybe it's because he's an honorable man whom doesn't cheat. For example, check out UGA's last four signing classes. The Dawgs are within scholarship limits. Nicky Satan and Bobby Petrol must think that guy is crazy. Those two bring in as many as possible, then thin the herd.

Let's see what else has been going on...

Every year the talking heads freak out come October about multiple undefeated's. And damn if most of the time the thing doesn't sort out. Your's truly said earlier this thread that it felt like a year with two one loss teams in the one game. There's still a chance.. Don't ask me about my Alabama title pick though. One fun thing about CF, the kickers are much more shaky than their pro counterparts. So why didn't Nicky Satan punt more that game instead of giving the Hat short field? If you're strength is D, play to it. Not that I've given up on the Tide. There's still football left!

Stanford was kind of who I thought they were - great O shaky D that has been aided by  a breezy sched.

Has the Acc or B!G been more fun to watch this year? Every week there are great games everywhere in those conferences. Skylab you were right about Ohio State. I have thrown in the towel on that pick.

I loathe the idea of a title game rematch involving anyone. The BcS lovers often site that the regular season is a playoff. If so, then Oregon and Bama should be eliminated unless LSU loses.

Nov 14, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #372 of 564
I didn't see any of the tOSU - Purdue game, but that was a BAD loss for the Bucks. 

At this point the BiG is still up for grabs.  I think PSU will lose out (and not just due to the scandal, the tough part of their schedule started last week). I think the Nittanies will get absolutely crushed by the Badgers, So that puts Wisco back in the B10 title game, and unless MSU trips, they will be the opponent, in a re-match of one of the most exciting games of the year.  But since Northwestern was the team that dropped Nebraska to two losses, maybe we can beat MSU in the last game of the year to put Nebraska back in it.  My Wildcats are playing much better ball now.

Nov 14, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #373 of 564
Nov. 25 - the day that LSU goes down to Arkansas. Then on Dec. 3, OSU gets pounced on by the Sooners; it could happen.

Of course if Alabama had a decent kicker this whole conversation would be moot.

Nov 14, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #374 of 564
Wabash destroyed Depaw in the Monon Bell Classic again this year, and appears to be headed into Div III playoffs.  

And *that* is the extent of what I know about college football. :D

Nov 14, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #375 of 564

Quote:
Stanford was kind of who I thought they were - great O shaky D that has been aided by  a breezy sched.

And a running game that enables Andrew Luck to be considered God's gift to professional QB prospects. He has all the tools but none of the intangibles. For the adulation he gets he should be able to carry his team once in a while. Yeah I know, "it's his receivers". Not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back