2011 College Football Thread
Nov 1, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #301 of 564
I think things are simple for OU. Stanford needs to lose, plus OkSU remain undefeated up till Bedlam. Should those two things happen, the Sooners will go if they win out of course. OU will jump OU in the end even if both OU's don't lose again.

Ha!

--

Well the week is finally upon us. It's the biggest game since Christ. My pick is the same as it was in August. Gimme Bamar. I think they're the more sound football team. Plus home field should tip them over. The Tigers play a bit like their HC. The least mistakes will prevail In what should be the most physical matchup since the Huns vs Romans. 

Nov 2, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #302 of 564

Quote:
Well the week is finally upon us. It's the biggest game since Christ. My pick is the same as it was in August. Gimme Bamar. I think they're the more sound football team. Plus home field should tip them over. The Tigers play a bit like their HC. The least mistakes will prevail In what should be the most physical matchup since the Huns vs Romans. 

Agree with your "least mistakes" comment.   However, I'll take LSU.  I think they are little more battle tested than Bama right now.  Plus, Les Miles is the luckiest SOB on the planet.

Nov 3, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #303 of 564
I went to my first game last Saturday, UCLA vs Cal - crazy good tailgate, stadium was packed, UCLA won, it was a great experience!

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #304 of 564
Yeah, there is nothing quite like going to a major college football game.  Been doing it since I was in school in the mid 80's, and still love going 4-5 times a year.  Great atmosphere.

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #306 of 564
I don't really have a dog in that hunt, so I am going to go with my B10 homer instinct are root for Bama, since Bama winning would be good for Penn State, whose only loss currently is to the Tide.

anyone here think KState can bounce back from their Sooner trouncing and bounce OK State from the ranks of the undefeated? Their defense looked bad last week but had been quite good prior to that.  I guess we will see...

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #307 of 564
You know, Rob.  That's kind of interesting to me.
I just can't imagine not having a "dog in that hunt".

Down here in the Heart of Dixie, you lose that right by age three.  At this age of reckoning, you are asked to swear allegiance to "The Capstone" - The University of Alabama Crimson Tide. 
And, if you cannot swear allegiance to Alabama, you are then asked to plea insanity, whereby you are allowed to root for "the cow college down the road" (to quote Bear Bryant).

Growing up a Barner - er, I mean, an Auburn fan - and graduating from that fine institution, I swore an undying oath to pull for Auburn and whatever team suits up against Alabama - every day of the week, and twice on Saturdays. 

Most of you guys know it, but in case you didn't - It has been an intense couple years here in Alabama.
Bama won their "13th" National Championship in January of 2010.  And no sooner had they coronated themselves the all time greatest everythings of everywhere, then they were forced stand by and watch as Auburn snatched victory from them in epic fashion the following season - in their own stadium no less.  And with $cam Newton, and a bunch of paid thugs.  Cheaters, all of them. 

And they were so enraged. 

And so, one fine morning, one of their foot soliders was dispatched to Auburn to poison our landmark - the Toomer's Corner trees.

And the battle has since reached feverish proportions. 
Every single day the local papers, news shows, talk radio, and other media fuel the fire.  And the trailer park football fans call in and spout their vitriol.
And, with bellies full of venom, the Saban Nation have sworn that this year they will exact their revenge...

And so, this weekend, everyone down here has a dog in the hunt.
I want Alabama to win about as much as I want a hole in the head.

So I will be pulling for Tigers of a different stripe -  LSU.
As will every self-respecting Auburn fan.
That's just how it is down here.  As someone once called it:  Good ol' fashioned hate.

College Football in the SEC.

Nov 3, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #308 of 564
Yup, the difference is you live in SEC country and went to an SEC school, and I live in Big Ten country and went to a Big Ten school.  We view SEC football purely with an eye on the bowls and NCG.

Nov 3, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #309 of 564
right.  wasn't trying to say that everyone should care about sec football like we do. 
i guess i was just musing on the subject for a moment there.

it's just hard for me to imagine not hating alabama. 
tongue_smile.gif

hahahahahaha.

Nov 3, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #310 of 564
Oh I understand you completely.  Remember I grew up in Tennessee and my first live CFB game was in the 100,000+ sea of orange at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville.  Pretty amazing scene.  Can only imagine what an Iron Bowl must be like.  I will go to one someday.  When I retire I plan to hit all the biggies - Michigan - tOSU, Bedlam, The Civil War, the Big Game, Iron Bowl, etc etc.

Nov 3, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #311 of 564
Yeah.  Obnoxville.  Hahaha
I gotta admit that big stadium by the river is a pretty outta sight place to watch a football game.
In the upper deck, you can actually feel the stadium shake a little when Rocky Top starts playing...  man...

The Iron Bowl is pretty special, no doubt.
And most years, the on-the-field competition lives up to the legend.
There have been some amazing ones - Bo over the top, Punt Bama Punt, The Comeback, etc.

This year, however, it will be a trouncing. 
frown.gif

Nov 3, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #312 of 564
The thing about those big rivalry games, though, is there have been plenty of underdog wins.  Even when the underdog was WAY under in terms of talent level - sometimes they just play out of their minds.

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #313 of 564

Quote:
right.  wasn't trying to say that everyone should care about sec football like we do. 
i guess i was just musing on the subject for a moment there.

it's just hard for me to imagine not hating alabama. 
tongue_smile.gif

hahahahahaha.

No where you are coming from.  As a Razorback fan, I will be pulling for LSU.  We hate Bama just a hair less than you Auburn fans do.  Plus we want LSU to be undefeated when we play them for  Golden Boot on black friday. 

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #314 of 564

Quote:
The thing about those big rivalry games, though, is there have been plenty of underdog wins.  Even when the underdog was WAY under in terms of talent level - sometimes they just play out of their minds.

Wuss is probably right this year.  Auburn is way to much of an underdog this year.  It could get ugly fast.  Saben is not bad about running up scores usually, but in this one he will not call off the hounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back