2011 College Football Thread
Sep 5, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #76 of 564
Then there also that little problem about scoring on Alabama. 

That will be the bigger issue for PSU. They also are still playing two relatively inexperienced QBs, although both played last year. Sure, they put up 41 in Indiana State, but so could most of the teams in ISU's own FCS league. And one of PSU's scores was a KR TD. If there is to be an upset, it will need to be like 13-7 PSU as the final.

Sep 5, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #77 of 564
Quote:
There are reports of a potential PAC 20 in the pipeline. Which I think would be stupid. And, to be fair, it's not like those are all powerhouses. 

I hope you're not referring to that bleacherreport article as authoritative, as those guys are about as credible as The Onion.  Maybe a 20 team conference is in the future for the PAC, but Larry Scott's made it pretty clear he doesn't like rushing into things, and a 14-16 team expansion is the next step.

With how revenue driven college football is (and with more and more burden placed on football and basketball every year, thanks for Title IX) and the worsening financial situation in higher education (eg, staff/support employment numbers doubling over the last decade, while faculty barely ticks upwards), the superconference consolidation seems inevitable.

Sep 5, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #78 of 564
So Texas is going to the ACC now. . .? This is partially why I wanted OU to go to the SEC or Big 10 (won't happen): to be done with Texas and the tricks it plays. This whole thing is getting really messy and confusing. 

On the plus OU will breeze in its division in the PAC without Texas (assuming it's east/west). We'd still have to play 'em in non-conference, though. But probably OU and Tex will stay in the same conference and the Texas-to-ACC stuff is just Texas' way of psyching out OU/PAC in order to gain leverage in staying in the big 12/ moving to the PAC and getting an exception for its LHN. I wonder if it will work.  Nope, J W, this whole conference realignment stuff has devolved into political maneuvering, motioning. Now that I figured this out, I can focus my attention on other stuff.

The Arizona/OK State game oughta be good on Thursday. I hope it's not a blow out like last year's Alamo Bowl.  Wonder if Brandon Weeden isn't having problems because of the change in O-coordinators. He's a big boy, though. Zona apparently has new additions all across both sides of the line. I'll pick little brother (sorry Mike) by 14. 

East Carolina put a bunch of points on USC last week. They get Hokies at home. Could be close.

I always like Air Force. I think they'll beat TCU. 

I'm almost afraid to pick against Auburn. Gonna do it. Give me muddo...bulldogs. 

Hope BYU throttles Texas. Picking that, too.

Finally, give me Vanderbilt, Alabama, and NIU. 

Edit: Also give me Cincinnati Bearcats to upset Vols. 

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #80 of 564
I read a few articles about a Pac-16. Might be interesting and I'd love some more big schools in the conference.

It might happen - there's a heap of money in broadcast rights and possibly a lot more for grabbing more BCS bowls. I'd support it.

It'd give me good reason to travel to more USC games, too. I've been to games at all of the Pac-10 schools. :)

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #81 of 564
Great game between the Hurricanes and the Terrapins last night, but seriously, who started the trend of playing in horrible, garish, makes-you-want-to rip-your-flesh-off-and-eat-it-raw uniforms???  Maryland's were the worst yet.  I'm all for throwback uni's, but what UM had on yesterday was so bad someone has to pay the price.  I just wish I knew who.

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #82 of 564

Quote:
Great game between the Hurricanes and the Terrapins last night, but seriously, who started the trend of playing in horrible, garish, makes-you-want-to rip-your-flesh-off-and-eat-it-raw uniforms???  Maryland's were the worst yet.  I'm all for throwback uni's, but what UM had on yesterday was so bad someone has to pay the price.  I just wish I knew who.

Watch OKlahoma STate on Thursday. Talk about ugly uniforms. Grey and White when your colors are orange and black. Speaking of which, I remember when there was an OK State fan who posted here. Wish he'd come back.

Notre Dame is supposed to start Rees this week. Huh, big surprise. Crist is a tragic character in the ND melodrama. I actually think Rees gives them a chance to be good. Kid seems like a winner.

Edited out the remark about OK STate and Halloween. Uncalled for.

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #83 of 564
If the Ducks gets bit by the Wolfpack they could all of a sudden be looking at how to salvage their season and maybe catch Stanford if they're lucky. So Nevada should be pumped for their opener even if the books are not. Auburn has a puncher's chance at home, and Georgia could redeem themselves. Dangerous game for Arizona State Friday night. BYU vs Texas looks interesting.

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #84 of 564
Here are my picks of games of any interest:

MSST over Auburn
BYU over Texas
Rainbows over Huskies
Gamecocks over GA Dawgs
Utah over USC
Michigan over ND by 21pts plus
Vols over Bearcats
Nittanies over Crimson Elephants (yep, I'm calling for the upset, they're ripe for the picking!)

Sep 7, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #85 of 564
I'm on chalk this week in the big matchups, notably I like Nicky Satan's Fighting Five Stars over the Joe Pa's, mark down the Southern California Professionals to sneak past the secular Utah school, and the T. Booners for trip 'zona. I've got one upset so far. It's mild, but I like Mizzou over the Devils. 

Oh, and I can't forget book God's team over bye. 

Sep 8, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #86 of 564

Quote:
I'm on chalk this week in the big matchups, notably I like Nicky Satan's Fighting Five Stars over the Joe Pa's, mark down the Southern California Professionals to sneak past the secular Utah school, and the T. Booners for trip 'zona. I've got one upset so far. It's mild, but I like Mizzou over the Devils. 

Oh, and I can't forget book God's team over bye. 

Mizzou over my Devils? How dare you! How can it be an upset when Mizzou is ranked higher? Anyway, not goin to happen!  The Devils are going to be jacked debuting their new black unis with the black-out crowd behind them. Mizzou is pretty banged up, they didn't really blow the doors off Miami(OH) either, and their new QB struggled. How is he going to react to Burfict being in his grill all night? I'll be there as usual throwin my decibels at the Tigers! Sparky shall prevail!
evil_smiley.gif

I'm going to be intently watching that USC-Utah game, they look to be ASU's primary comp for the 12-Pac South belt.

Oh and all this non-stop conference talk is nauseating!

Haven't been on this board in a while! Sup fellas!

Sep 8, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #87 of 564
Heh, I had a feeling that pick would draw out Pitchfork Floyd. ASU is a -7 in Vegas, so that is where I get the upset. Vegas is much more accurate than polls. For example last week the Ducks were ranked higher in both polls, yet the odds makers had them as three point dogs. 

Anyway, think I'm back on the Devils. The Tigers lost Kendial Lawrence to injury. That's a bad break. I don't know how they can hope to score now. The offense already appeared anemic. 

Sep 8, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #88 of 564
Utah/USC should be a really interesting game.  I hope Utah pulls it out, though I'm not familiar with their team this year.  They impressed me two years ago, but that might have been partly due to the PAC-10 implosion these last few years.

ASU's got a tough game ahead of them but they usually compete pretty well OOC.  I hope they represent the PAC well, and I think they'll have a much easier time with their game this week than Arizona or Oregon State.

Do the ASU players get that pumped up with new unis?  Oregon would be #1 every year with how much Nike spends on designing their gear
devil_face.gif
  Like you said, Vegas odds are a lot better than what you'll see from writers, but at least it's a home game and ASU fans are among the best in the southwest.

Lol front page Yahoo Sports
"Baylor's Kenneth Starr is trying to block Texas A&M's move to the SEC in an effort to stay relevant and in the money."
"A&M cleared for SEC, Baylor may sue"

I'm glad we don't have Baylor in our conference, and it better stay that way.  I've never seen a small school work so hard to stay relevant.

(stolen from Shaggybevo)

Sep 8, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #90 of 564
I think what Baylor is doing makes perfect sense...for Baylor.  If the Big 12 dissolves, they will find themselves in a Non AQ conference like CUSA or Mtn West.  And they will lose a TON of money.  Why would they go quietly?

When Northwestern was in the dark era of its football program in the 80's, there were people who knew nothing about football who would say "we should leave the Big Ten and join the Ivy League".  Well, aside from the fact that the Ivy League wasn't offering an invitation that I am aware of, Northwestern would have less than no interest in that.  Football and Basketball are huge revenue generators not just in terms of the share we get of the TV revenue, but in terms of Alumni giving (esp football).  Do you think anyone University of Chicago alumni give money specifically to see the Maroons play D3 football?  Not much.  And U of C was a founding member of the Big Ten.  It's just that they left before football was so much about the money.

Conference re-alignment is ALL about money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back