2011 College Football Thread
Aug 31, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #46 of 564
Viro, your posts always make me cackle.  Good stuff.

Only two Big Ten teams are playing other BCS schools this weekend: Northwestern is playing at Boston College, and Minny is playing at USC.  Those are actually also the ONLY matchups between ANY BCS conference schools during the DAY on Saturday - then of course we get two games between top 25 teams at night...

Sep 1, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #47 of 564
I know UNLV is nobody...but you can't tell me Wisconsin doesn't look scary good on offense.

Sep 2, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #49 of 564

Quote:
I want to know why Wisconsin/UNLV was the ESPN Thursday night game and not Syracuse and Wake Forest.

Well, Syracuse - Wake Forest ended up being the better game, but come on - Wisco is a top-15 ranked team.  The Orange and the Demon Dekes are not.  Maybe a better question is why that game wasn't on ESPNU, where we got Louisville - McNeese State.

Sep 2, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #50 of 564

Quote:
Well, Syracuse - Wake Forest ended up being the better game, but come on - Wisco is a top-15 ranked team.  The Orange and the Demon Dekes are not.  Maybe a better question is why that game wasn't on ESPNU, where we got Louisville - McNeese State.

Agreed. Cuse and WF are from BCS conferences. The game should have been televised nationally.

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #51 of 564
Wow, the Pac12 looks bad this year.  On the bright side, we have a good chance to make a bowl game in a rebuilding year.  Next season will be a lot of fun, though.

Chip Kelly still needs to be able to close the deal in top-tier games.  This is Stanford's last bowl game year before they sink back to sub-mediocrity.

And Texas is knocking on Larry Scott's door again...
popcorn.gif

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #52 of 564
Yipes, this does not look good for the Pac-12.  Maybe this is just early season jitters, but who knows.

It might be a long season for 'SC if the offense keeps playing like that.

Sep 4, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #53 of 564
The only things Lane Kiffin have going for him are his remarkable ability to somehow improve his stature with every failure and his wife.  Lucky for him, SC will never perform poorly from lack of talent.

The conference looks pretty similar to recent years.  Oregon State did its beginning-of-season ritual of losing a game it had no business losing, and will start picking up steam to overachieve its way to a bowl game.  The only teams which are remotely BCS competitive are Oregon and Stanford (probably only Oregon).  None of the other schools look that remarkable, and Coug fans get sand kicked in their face again.

Probably the most exciting news this season would be if Oklahoma and Texas join.  If they do, I wonder if we don't have to take Oklahoma State and Texas Tech, purely from a viewership and revenue standpoint.  The other Texas schools just bring too much baggage, like the stunt Baylor pulled during summer 2010 with the Texas legislature.

Sep 4, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #54 of 564
interesting first Saturday, for sure. First of all, big congrats to my NU Cats for beating BC on the road without our starting QB. Nice job there, and with 230 yards rushing against last year's top FBS rushing D. Nice win to start the year.

Other random comments:

Auburn - LUCKY to be alive. And to an extent so is my SEC pick South Carolina.

Notre Dame - I'm just glad they were exposed early, so I don't have to listen to a bunch of BS Irish Hype for weeks.

OK, I admit it, I was WRONG about both Oregon And LSU. Congrats to the Bayou Bengals. I doubt that suspended QB ever gets his job back, and they don't need him. At least my other NCG pick Sooners looked good.

Boise State, ballsy move to play Georgia in Atlanta, but it paid off. Hopefully the Bulldogs will retire those horrid unis.

PAC-12 - OUCH. OrST loses to WHO? USC struggled big time with a BAD Minnesota team. Stanford will have to prop up the rest of the league I guess, although they beat up on a pretty hapless SJST team.

Lots of other teams Played nobodies. Mostly they came through OK. There was one other FCS win over an BS team but I don't recall who just now. I know KSTate only beat some mediocre FCS team by 3.

OH MAN...thank god CFB is back!

Sep 4, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #55 of 564
Quote:
Auburn - LUCKY to be alive.

my wife and i left our seats.  along with about 30,000 other people.  and watched the last three minutes from the exit ramp.
in a way, i feel ashamed that i let the team down and gave up.  but, on the other hand, their performance left little hope that they could get it done.

after yesterday's performance, i've modified my season prediction a bit.
now instead of 7-5, i think we'll be lucky to go 6-6.

Sep 4, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #56 of 564

Quote:
They're lucky to have Kiffin, if anyone can recruit good new talent there during the sanctions it's him.

But can he do it without screwing ove the rest of the conference?

Quote:
well.  the greatest conference in football will be seeking it's 6th consecutive title. 
blink.gif

i don't think my defending champ tigers will have anything to do with that, however.
i just hope it's not a team wearing crimson... 
wink.gif

I'm thinking more like yellow and purple

Quote:
Ahhh it must be that time of year again. Well my avy switch, was the real first clue. You know CF is close when a god's team member resides next to my username. 

As aside, I'm so glad the pay for play guys (I mean the NFL, not USC and half the SEC) got it together. For a bit I was worried my Fall Sunday's might be spent on honey do's instead of Joe Buck and Troy Aikman. That would have made me as restless as a Texas A&M Aggie.

BTW, aTm to the SEC is all swell, but FSU? Geesh, I've always joked the SEC should crown its own National Champion. Hell, if they somehow added the Noles and Oklahoma, that joke would turn serious. Let the B1G and Pac play for their Rose Bowl. The real No .1 team would be whomever made it through that tar pit.

On the subject of real No. 1. It's Bama. Let's see, they have the best D in the nation, the best O-line in the nation, and the best running back. The QB may be green, kind of like a couple of years ago when McElroy was only required to hand off and throw play action to the tight end. Oh I heard NIcky Saban can coach and recruit too. The Tide is loaded with NFL talent. 

Oh you want dark horses for the big trophy? I'll give you MIssouri and Arizona State. Both have experienced D's and playmakers on offense. Missouri especially might really be a top ten team hiding in the 20's. 

Now please excuse me. I have to go iron my 100 dollar bills for handshakes and devise new ways to protect the quarterback in college football. 

Hey Viro.  Please don't tell me that you think the Sooners, Horns, and Pokes are running a sqeaky  clean program.  I would bet my left nut that any successful program with a large booster pool has got something going on.
You have to believe that the NCAA only catches a percentage of the infractions.  Just because they haven't been caught, don't mean they are not doing it.

Quote:
     Quote:

I don't know, allegedly the SEC said no to A&M. And FSU? A shell of its former self. I went to grad school at UGA, and love them. But I have lived in SEC country for a while now, and I am so SICK of SEC fans that think the conference is god's gift to college football. They have been dominant for a few years, yes. But anyone that knows anything about the history of college football knows that it goes in ebbs and swells. When a conference gets too many teams that are really good, the talent pool starts to spread thin. Teams start knocking each other off, preventing them from being able to win a N.C., and recruits start to look elsewhere. That or you have a really big team that gets the death sentence from the NCAA (SWC). Sorry for the diatribe. SEC fans are just the most annoying I have ever run in to.

And the best for last.  This is the one that really inspired me to post.  When I read this post all I could come up with was the title to the old Mac Davis song, "Oh Lord It's Hard To Be Humble".  Dude, if you are that sick of us have you ever thought about moving.

Sep 4, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #57 of 564

Quote:
Lots of key people to replace at both SEC schools in AL. Very hard to see how things will go. You know it's not your average SEC season when lots of people are picking South Carolina to win it...

Hey Skylab, Who are these "lots of people"  Hope they aren't the same ones that saying that the Ducks were going to handle the Tigers last night.  By the end of the 3rd quarter those guys didn't know what had hit them.  I say it's is either Bama or LSU with me leaning to LSU.  Wish my Hogs didn't have to play them on the road but those are the breaks.  I am hoping we squeak by with only 1 or 2 losses (LSU/Bama) this year.

Sep 4, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #58 of 564

Quote:
my wife and i left our seats.  along with about 30,000 other people.  and watched the last three minutes from the exit ramp.
in a way, i feel ashamed that i let the team down and gave up.  but, on the other hand, their performance left little hope that they could get it done.

after yesterday's performance, i've modified my season prediction a bit.
now instead of 7-5, i think we'll be lucky to go 6-6.

Would have to agree.  Gonna be a long year for ya'll in the west.  Woo Pig Sooee!

Sep 4, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #59 of 564
Hey Skylab, Who are these "lots of people"  Hope they aren't the same ones that saying that the Ducks were going to handle the Tigers last night.  By the end of the 3rd quarter those guys didn't know what had hit them.  I say it's is either Bama or LSU with me leaning to LSU.  Wish my Hogs didn't have to play them on the road but those are the breaks.  I am hoping we squeak by with only 1 or 2 losses (LSU/Bama) this year.

Well I have already apologized for underestimating LSU. They have my utmost respect for beating what I still think is a good Oregon team, with some key players suspended. that was an impressive win yesterday.

I'm still not sold on Bama being as good as the last few years, but what do I know. I think Penn State has an improved squad from last year but will still be a second tier big ten team. So it will be instructive to see how The Tide handle the Nittanies this year.

Sep 4, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #60 of 564
I wish I felt the same about Bama not being as good but I am afraid that as long as Nick is there, they are always going to have the players.  I don't see them having a true "rebuilding" season for a long time.  Same with Les at LSU. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back