2011 Atlanta Meet on March 19
Mar 21, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #46 of 78
Besides all of the cool gear at the meet, I have to thank Kevin for the tip to some excellent sounding CD's. I found MA Recordings on the web just like you said, and will be ordering some discs soon. Great find. Thanks.

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #47 of 78
Yes, I was impressed with Purk's Sony SACD.  My HD800s never sounded better.  I spent a few hours looking at SACD Sunday night.  There are a couple of Marantz SACD on the For Sale forum, one relatively cheap.  There seems to be disagreement whether hi quality audio is going to jump to Blue-ray, or SACD is the best option for the next few years.  I need to do some more research.

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #48 of 78

Quote:
Yes, I was impressed with Purk's Sony SACD.  My HD800s never sounded better.  I spent a few hours looking at SACD Sunday night.  There are a couple of Marantz SACD on the For Sale forum, one relatively cheap.  There seems to be disagreement whether hi quality audio is going to jump to Blue-ray, or SACD is the best option for the next few years.  I need to do some more research.

The Sony player is the  SCD-XA5400ES.  The HD800 in balanced mode in my system is nearly 15% better than in SE configuration.  I was having a problem during meet running the system balanced so it was all SE configuration at the meet.  The Gilmore Reference Balanced/Headamp GSX running in balanced mode sounds excellent and I wish every one get to hear it.      

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #49 of 78
Purk,
U r tempting me to look into a balanced amp.  My DAC is balanced, as is my HE-6.  HD-800 easily converts to balance.  I don't see how I can give up my B22 unless I can upgrade to a balanced B22, hum.

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #50 of 78
Purk always alllowed me to audition the gear I could only dream of...always a treat!  Another treat was listening to TomB's amps, IMHO you haven't heard Grado or the 701's until mated with his superb lil powerplants...resolution,speed,decay was superb...Sounds like you guys had a good time, excellent!

Mar 22, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #51 of 78

Quote:
Purk always alllowed me to audition the gear I could only dream of...always a treat!  Another treat was listening to TomB's amps, IMHO you haven't heard Grado or the 701's until mated with his superb lil powerplants...resolution,speed,decay was superb...Sounds like you guys had a good time, excellent!

Trav,

We really miss you there man.  Hopefully, you can give us another Atlanta Meet soon!

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #53 of 78
I was asked a couple of times during the meet to compare the HE-6 to the T1.  I though about it some after the meet:

HE-6 vs. T1 in my opinion.  I find the HE-6 and T1 are similar, but different.  Both are great headphones.  The HE-6 has slightly more extension, low and high.  The T1 has slightly stronger mids which are noticeable with tenor singers, i.e., the HE-6 is slightly thin with male voices.  The HE-6 is slightly bright, but really shines with female vocals.  It is my go to headphone for female singers.  Individual instruments are slightly easier to pick out with the HE-6.  The T1 is more musical with rock.  The T1 is prone to sibilance; the HE-6 is not.    Sometimes I think the T1 has a slightly larger sound stage, other times I think they are the same.  The T1 is lighter and much more comfortable, particularly noticeable after a couple of hours of listening.  The HE-6 is much more power hungry.  Both look great.  

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #55 of 78
I have not really done a lot of A/B'ing with the HD800s, but here is what I think.  The HD800 is another great headphone.  While the HE-6 and T1 have similar sound with many small differences, the HD800's soundstage is significantly larger than the other two.  I love a large soundstage and the 800s have it.  The 800 has very slightly more upper and lower extension than the T1 and very slightly less upper and lower extension than the HE-6.  The 800 is between the T1 and HE-6 in warmth, although it is closer to the T1.  Like the HE-6, I do not find the HD800 to be as musical as the T1, more on the analytical side.  The T1 is best with rock.  I listen to a lot of rock so the T1 gets the most head time.  Like the HE-6, the HD800 is better with jazz than the T1.  Like the T1, it is better with male voices than the HE-6, but weaker with female voices than the HE-6.  Unlike the T1, I rarely hear sibilance with the 800, although it does have more than the HE-6.  The 800 is slightly easiest to drive than the T1, but still will not work well from an ipod or computer without an amp.  The HD800 is much more comfortable than the HE-6, but only slightly more comfortable than the T1.  The 800 is unnecessarily large to the extend that I sometimes feel self conscious when I wear them. 

Mar 23, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #56 of 78

Quote:
I have not really done a lot of A/B'ing with the HD800s, but here is what I think.  The HD800 is another great headphone.  While the HE-6 and T1 have similar sound with many small differences, the HD800's soundstage is significantly larger than the other two.  I love a large soundstage and the 800s have it.  The 800 has very slightly more upper and lower extension than the T1 and very slightly less upper and lower extension than the HE-6.  The 800 is between the T1 and HE-6 in warmth, although it is closer to the T1.  Like the HE-6, I do not find the HD800 to be as musical as the T1, more on the analytical side.  The T1 is best with rock.  I listen to a lot of rock so the T1 gets the most head time.  Like the HE-6, the HD800 is better with jazz than the T1.  Like the T1, it is better with male voices than the HE-6, but weaker with female voices than the HE-6.  Unlike the T1, I rarely hear sibilance with the 800, although it does have more than the HE-6.  The 800 is slightly easiest to drive than the T1, but still will not work well from an ipod or computer without an amp.  The HD800 is much more comfortable than the HE-6, but only slightly more comfortable than the T1.  The 800 is unnecessarily large to the extend that I sometimes feel self conscious when I wear them. 

Or you can just get the HD800 balanced and upgrade to Beta22 balanced and be done
wink_face.gif

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #59 of 78

Quote:

Done for how long?  My wife will put on my tomb stone, "May he rest in peace and finally stop upgrading his sound system."

If you have a strong will, you can be done at any time.  Still, a source upgrade is a must and will benefit all your gears.  
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back