2010 College Football Thread
Dec 7, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #646 of 928
Makes you appreciate Sam Bradford's 50/8 performance in 2008.

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #647 of 928
Looks like OK's offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson is going to become Indiana's next head coach.  Wilson was offensive coordinator at Northwestern before going to Oklahoma, and he was the architect behind our 2000 team's innovative run-oriented spread, which at that time was something new.  Pretty sure that offense still holds our school records for points and yards in a season.  Wilson is a good OC - will be interesting to see how good a HC he is.

Dec 9, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #648 of 928
Tonight, ESPN stands for Extra Special Player Newton!!!

Tonight was a sweep for Cam.  The Davey O'Brien Award, The Walter Camp All-American Award, and The Maxwell Award.
And assuredly the Heisman will be his on Saturday night...

So, regardless of what folks think of the off-the-field mess, they haven't denied him the honors for his accomplishments on the field.

Dec 9, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #649 of 928
Congrats to Newton, but I wonder if he's going to pick up the championship. :)

I read an article today where Newton has the same amount of touchdowns and yards per carry as Darron Thomas does. Nothing against Newton - he is a great player - but he will be going up against someone with frighteningly similar numbers in a tougher conference.

By the way, the New York Times ran a great article on the hurry-up style of the Ducks. I have a feeling that after the Ducks win, we're going to see more teams take this approach. Oregon wins games and gains momentum towards the end because the other teams are damned tired. When the defense is exhausted, the Ducks tear right through them.

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #650 of 928
Uncle Erik:
 I have a feeling that after the Ducks win, we're going to see more teams take this approach. Oregon wins games and gains momentum towards the end because the other teams are damned tired. When the defense is exhausted, the Ducks tear right through them.

Half the Big 12 has been running no huddle for years. Sam Bradford was mentioned above. That 2008 OU offense was all no huddle, up tempo. Stick your head outside West Coast homer land every once in a while. 

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #651 of 928

Quote:
Congrats to Newton, but I wonder if he's going to pick up the championship.
smily_headphones1.gif

I read an article today where Newton has the same amount of touchdowns and yards per carry as Darron Thomas does. Nothing against Newton - he is a great player - but he will be going up against someone with frighteningly similar numbers in a tougher conference.

By the way, the New York Times ran a great article on the hurry-up style of the Ducks. I have a feeling that after the Ducks win, we're going to see more teams take this approach. Oregon wins games and gains momentum towards the end because the other teams are damned tired. When the defense is exhausted, the Ducks tear right through them.

well....  their numbers might be close to same.
but, newton achieved his numbers against some of the best defenses in the country.  and against no less than SIX ranked opponents.
how many ranked opponents has oregon played?
stanford..... and.......  ????

also...  speed is one thing.  and size is another.
oregon's defensive line is small.  our o-line guys like ryan pugh and lee ziemba...  are all at least 50 pounds larger than oregon's d-line.

sorry, erik.  it's not going to be pretty. 
wink.gif

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #652 of 928

Quote:
Uncle Erik:
 I have a feeling that after the Ducks win, we're going to see more teams take this approach. Oregon wins games and gains momentum towards the end because the other teams are damned tired. When the defense is exhausted, the Ducks tear right through them.

Half the Big 12 has been running no huddle for years. Sam Bradford was mentioned above. That 2008 OU offense was all no huddle, up tempo. Stick your head outside West Coast homer land every once in a while. 

Northwestern was running the up-tempo, no huddle spread in 2000! It was Kevin Wilson's offense.   I agree, the Ducks are Johnny-come-lately to this.  They do have some nice athletes to run it with, though.

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #653 of 928

Quote:
Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

well....  their numbers might be close to same.
but, newton achieved his numbers against some of the best defenses in the country.  and against no less than SIX ranked apponents.
how many ranked apponents has oregon played?
stanford..... and.......  ????

also...  speed is one thing.  and size is another.
oregon's defensive line is small.  our o-line guys like ryan pugh and lee ziemba...  are all at least 50 pounds larger than oregon's d-line.

sorry, erik.  it's not going to be pretty. 
wink.gif

i think you're going to be surprised....we've got more depth at defense than almost any other team in college football. our guys wont be getting tired like yours will be. and they may be a bit smaller, but they're fast.

USC was ranked when we played them, so was arizona

not to mention the fact that auburn only played 4 away games, oregon played 6, and dont say that doesnt make a difference.

Dec 10, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #654 of 928

Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry to come across as an SEC fanboy but I could not let this pass.  "frighteninly similar numbers in a tougher conference".  Are you on drugs?  SEC West has 5 of its six teams in the BCS top 25 plus 1 from the SEC East.  Pac 10 has 2.  How did you come up with the Pac 10 being a tougher conference. I myself would rate them at best number 4 behind the Big 12 this year with the Big 10 being number 2.

Dec 10, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #655 of 928

Agreed, sorry Erik but the SEC is tougher IMO.
Quote:
Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry to come across as an SEC fanboy but I could not let this pass.  "frighteninly similar numbers in a tougher conference".  Are you on drugs?  SEC West has 5 of its six teams in the BCS top 25 plus 1 from the SEC East.  Pac 10 has 2.  How did you come up with the Pac 10 being a tougher conference. I myself would rate them at best number 4 behind the Big 12 this year with the Big 10 being number 2.

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #656 of 928
Yeah, can't agree the Pac 10 is a tougher conference than the SEC...and I'm not a fanboy of either conference.

Dec 10, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #657 of 928
Yes,I am an unashamed fan of the S.E.C. And although I am an Alabama fan,as I have lived here in Lower Alabama for 33 years since the Army first brought me here,I will be pulling for Auburn in the championship game...I can't believe I just typed that,Anyhow,here is a S.E.C. fan site with some overall bowl records for those who may be interested: http://www.secsportsfan.com/top-college-football-bowl-conference.html There is also a good school right up the road from me called Troy State and those boys play some dang good football too.
atsmile.gif

Dec 10, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #658 of 928

Quote:
Agreed, sorry Erik but the SEC is tougher IMO.
Quote:
Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

The Pac overall had a better out-of-conference record than any other conference did in 2010.

"No other conference did as well — a 10-4 record — in nonconference games against BCS conference opponents, including seven in the final BCS rankings (TCU, Wisconsin, Boise State, Oklahoma State, Nevada, Nebraska and Hawaii) and bowl-bound teams of Iowa, Notre Dame, Kansas State, BYU and Tennessee."

"“You don't necessarily get to schedule wins (in the Pac-10) like everyone else does in the country,” said UCLA coach Rick Neuheisel, whose Bruins didn’t go for the cupcake victories when his Bruins (4-8) played Kansas State, Houston and Texas.

“What you’ll see is a trend of schools starting to schedule (non-conference) games they can win to give them a little cushion when it comes to league play,” said Washington coach Steve Sarkisian, who knows how the Pac-10 played a combined seven games against FCS opponents in 2010 while the ACC and the SEC cakewalked through 13 and 11 FCS teams, respectively."
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/bowl-279086-conference-postseason.html

It's just going to be that much sweeter when the Ducks take the championship 
devil_face.gif

And like I said Thomas has good wheels as well as being poised in the pocket. That was a great article, here's the link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/05/magazine/05Football-t.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=oregon%20ducks&st=cs

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #659 of 928
I"m surprised no one has brought up SOS. One team in the BcSmNCG has a SOS ranking of 76, one spot lower than TCU btw. The other has a SOS ranking of 4. 

The SOS edge has to be firmly in the No. 4's corner. To me, it's all just homer spin outside of that, where SOS Is concerned. 

--

Good point Skylab, I'll go even deeper. How about those great Leavy Bills teams of the early 90's! They ran no huddle, up tempo with Jim Kelly and that whole crew. 

Dec 10, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #660 of 928

Quote:

"“You don't necessarily get to schedule wins (in the Pac-10) like everyone else does in the country,” said UCLA coach Rick Neuheisel, whose Bruins didn’t go for the cupcake victories when his Bruins (4-8) played Kansas State, Houston and Texas.

“What you’ll see is a trend of schools starting to schedule (non-conference) games they can win to give them a little cushion when it comes to league play,” said Washington coach Steve Sarkisian, who knows how the Pac-10 played a combined seven games against FCS opponents in 2010 while the ACC and the SEC cakewalked through 13 and 11 FCS teams, respectively."
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/bowl-279086-conference-postseason.html

It's just going to be that much sweeter when the Ducks take the championship 
devil_face.gif

And like I said Thomas has good wheels as well as being poised in the pocket. That was a great article, here's the link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/05/magazine/05Football-t.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=oregon%20ducks&st=cs

Dude, your non-conference schedule has the appearence of being tougher because for the most part your conference schedule is a cake walk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back