2009 Spitfire Dac . . .
Apr 14, 2009 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

roker

Headphoneus Supremus
Was checking out the specs for the cute and came across this:

2009 Spitfire 24 Bit DAC

Quote:

The 2009 Spitfire 24 Bit DAC has arrived!
Enjoy your 24 Bit / 96 KHz High Def music downloads at full resolution!
Firestone Audio has just released the 2009 Spitfire 24 Bit - 96 KHz DAC.

The new Spitfire has a revised circuit design that now includes the LM4562 OpAmp for even better sound.

An outstanding upgrade for your CD and DVD player. Also makes an excellent upgrade for the many components currently available with a digital output.

Features a new face plate design with an elegant, professional appearance.
Available in your choice of Black or Silver.

also, the Fubar III is getting a refresh:

Fubar III USB DAC / Headphone Amplifier

Quote:

Important Note on Fubar III availability:

April 1, 2009

The Fubar III is in the final stages of a product upgrade and facelift at Firestone Audio. We expect to start shipping the new model later this month. (No firm release date yet)

If you'd like to take a peek at the "new look" check out the Spitfire 24 Bit DAC. The Fubar III will have a similar look with a choice of Black or Silver for the face plate.

We'll post photos of the new model soon!

All orders received after April 1st are for the new model. Your order will ship as soon as the new Fubar III arrives, first in, first out.

We welcome your questions. Please send to support@AudiophileProducts.com

Thank You!
AudiophileProducts.com

Apr 14, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #2 of 15
interesting.
thks for the info.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 15
^ I'm not sure as I haven't heard the new spitfire dac. But it doesn't have balanced outs (which is an important feature of the dac magic for many). Also the Dac Magic has dual dacs (one for each channel), where as the spitfire appear to be using one dac for both channels. Though this means little without hearing both for yourself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I'm not sure as I haven't heard the new spitfire dac. But it doesn't have balanced outs (which is an important feature of the dac magic for many). Also the Dac Magic has dual dacs (one for each channel), where as the spitfire appear to be using one dac for both channels. Though this means little without hearing both for yourself.
smily_headphones1.gif

beyersmile.png

always gd to see some constructive and objective post rather than some fanboy speak.

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #10 of 15
I had the previous Spitfire, it was op amp rollable, and very good for the price.

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #11 of 15
ok, sounds good! I'm sure it'll be killer w/ two AD797BR as DAC LPF on the discrete linear PSU, fed w/ optical to kill any groundloop from the computer
smily_headphones1.gif

I need an uncolored source because it will be fed to a Burson HA-160, which is definitely not bright or thin sounding by a long shot.

anyway, I've just sent the payment so it's too late for regrets
biggrin.gif

I've checked on google, everyone seems to love it(even the old version w/ the stock OPA2604) and the 2009 version has an improved layout and a stock LM4562...I found one guy saying that the Buffalo32 was killing it, but he wasn't using the discrete linear PSU I think...anyway, it should crush any internal soundcard I've heard so far.

Feb 25, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #12 of 15
so far I like it!

my cd1k is so dead easy to drive that I've simply plugged it to the line-out, and the SQ is actually pretty darn good(LM4562 shouldn't be under-estimated on a proper PSU, low end bass is amazing and so is SS)...I cannot go over 4% volume in uLilith.

I've assigned 2 hotkeys for uLilith's volume control over ASIO to my Griffin Powermate..it's really handy
images

and I'm feeding it w/ toslink, so ground loops from the PC can go to hell!
zozobar.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #13 of 15
Should I use coax or optical with this unit? My source is Auzentech Prelude sound card.

Thanks.

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #14 of 15
try both? coax has a supposedly better jitter, but toslink is immune to EMI/RFI and doesn't require pulse transformers to offer a galvanic isolation.

Apr 16, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #15 of 15
Well in that case I'll use toslink. I already have 1 cheap toslink cable and I just ordered another good quality one.

Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back