2009 College Football Thread
Dec 15, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #841 of 1,108
That makes sense about not needed the DFW market - but who would the B12 go for if they suddenly needed to replace Mizzou? I admittedly highly, highly doubt that will happen - just curious.

Dec 15, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #842 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That makes sense about not needed the DFW market - but who would the B12 go for if they suddenly needed to replace Mizzou? I admittedly highly, highly doubt that will happen - just curious.

Okay I'm a little slow after lunch. Help moe out here. Why would they not be interested in DFW market?

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #843 of 1,108
^ Dallas/Fort Worth

Quote:

but who would the B12 go for if they suddenly needed to replace Mizzou? I admittedly highly, highly doubt that will happen - just curious.

No worries man, I don't get hung up over conference as much as you guys.
tongue.gif

Here is what I've heard around the years. First the Big 12 would go after Arkansas. Now before ronnie spits out his afternoon latte, that ain't going to happen. Next, attention would turn to its left flank. Colorado has often been considered a weak link, so Colorado State could be an option to secure that region, or the conference might go as far west as Utah.

TCU could happen, but the league would work through other options first. Take that for all it's worth, not like I'm a Big 12 insider for anything.

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #844 of 1,108
Nor am I a Big Ten insider - just a rumor-monger
biggrin.gif

Actually though, Colorado State makes GREAT sense. Instead of a 5th Texas team, which TCU would be, to add to the Colorado presence. Make sense.

This is why I like Pitt in the Big Ten - makes 2 PA schools. That would make 2 each in PA, MI, IN, and IL. Plus of course Pitt is strong in FBall and Hoops, which is a plus.

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #845 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Dallas/Fort Worth

No worries man, I don't get hung up over conference as much as you guys.
tongue.gif

Here is what I've heard around the years. First the Big 12 would go after Arkansas. Now before ronnie spits out his afternoon latte, that ain't going to happen. Next, attention would turn to its left flank. Colorado has often been considered a weak link, so Colorado State could be an option to secure that region, or the conference might go as far west as Utah.

TCU could happen, but the league would work through other options first. Take that for all it's worth, not like I'm a Big 12 insider for anything.

It wasn't latte, it was Diet Coke and I am still trying to get it off my screen.

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #846 of 1,108
Texas Longhorns have money to burn...........

Can somone explain the twisted logic why Mack Brown gets a 2 million raise?
There is 0 chance he is going anywhere else, who is the genius that decided to give that money away?

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #847 of 1,108
Cincy goes back to the well again.....

Groundhog day lives as Bearcats hire Central Mich coach Butch Jones to replace Kelly, runs same offense system as Kelly, feel sorry for Chippewas being used as "stepping stone" for Cincy two times now
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cincy is getting killed by this Kelly stab in the back, many highly sought after recruits were lined up to for Cincy and are now going elsewhere, no love lost for him in Cincy..........

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #848 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cincy goes back to the well again.....

Groundhog day lives as Bearcats hire Central Mich coach Butch Jones to replace Kelly, runs same offense system as Kelly, feel sorry for Chippewas being used as "stepping stone" for Cincy two times now
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cincy is getting killed by this Kelly stab in the back, many highly sought after recruits were lined up to for Cincy and are now going elsewhere, no love lost for him in Cincy..........

Sheesh DA...he didn't stab anyone in the back. You act like he was bound by blood to Cincy. He earned and was hired for a better job. That simple.

Dec 16, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #849 of 1,108
I think that's a good hire for Cincy. Should provide as smooth a transition as possible, and will give them a head coach for the bowl.

Dec 16, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #850 of 1,108
Quote:

I think that's a good hire for Cincy. Should provide as smooth a transition as possible, and will give them a head coach for the bowl.

Yes I think he is good fit for the Cincy program he will inherit, Collaros has tremendous QB talent and most of offense will return......first job is to try to keep as many recruits as possible from defecting and upgrade defense next year

Butch Jones had better record than Kelly at Central Mich and had two years offensive coach at West Va for Big East exposure......will get nice facility upgrade with bubble dome all year practice field under construction (Kelly demand from Cincy)

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #851 of 1,108
Is Quinn still going to prepare the Bearcats for Florida?

I did some digging into the Cincinatti program since a couple of Oklahoma guys were mentioned for the job. It is amazing what has been accomplished there. Put it this way, Sumlin wouldn't even interview for the job for good reason. Houston is a better situation than Cincinatti. Good to hear they're building a dedicated practice facility. That is a good step.

Dec 16, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #852 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is Quinn still going to prepare the Bearcats for Florida?

Unless we hear otherwise......
I would like to see Butch Jones step right up and assume coaching job immediately

Not sure why Houston coach Sumlin stayed put, salary upgrade and gets team that last 2 years went to Orange bowl & Sugar Bowl........how do you top that? Stay in conference USA?

Still I think Cincy made best of bad situation in record time with Jones

As an ironic twist I heard rumor that Quinn is now interested in the Central Mich head coach job

Dec 16, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #853 of 1,108
Quote:

I would like to see Butch Jones step right up and assume coaching job immediately

I agree - he should. However, CMU is in their own Bowl. When is Jones leaving?

Dec 16, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #854 of 1,108
Quote:

I agree - he should. However, CMU is in their own Bowl. When is Jones leaving?

Still awaiting official news release, sources say 5yr deal with Cincy, CMU confirms Jones is negotiating contract with Cincy

CMU plays in GMAC bowl 1/6/10 against Troy (Sugar bowl vs Gators nice upgrade)

ESPN Story

Dec 16, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #855 of 1,108
I'll take the opposite viewpoint. Jones should take over recruiting and more of the administrative side. However, where the bowl game is concerned, Quinn should stay to prepare and coach during the game. First, he is familiar with the team and how to prepare it. Second, he is familiar with the scheme and implement it. Third, he has operated in this situation before. Fourth, he is hungry and would tackle another opportunity to prove his worth as the head man.

Quote:

Not sure why Houston coach Sumlin stayed put, salary upgrade and gets team that last 2 years went to Orange bowl & Sugar Bowl........how do you top that? Stay in conference USA

Don't shoot the messenger, but he has chosen to sew more seeds and wait for a better opportunity. Houston is one of the better mid jobs in the country. Because of how fertile the Houston are is, he will be able to bring in the same caliber athlete, if not better, as Cincinatti.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back