2009 College Football Thread
Dec 11, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #812 of 1,108
Brian Kelly move leaves bad taste in my mouth.........extremely bad timing

Cincy team hung out to dry before biggest bowl game in school history, Kelly called all plays from sideline, Cincy has been gutted extremely unfair to players and fans with tickets to Sugar Bowl, 2nd time in 4 yrs they had head coach hired away by bigger school

This should not be allowed to happen in college football, no jumping teams by coach until after bowl games especially when team is in top 3 bowl game!

This team was 1 second away from playing in national championship game........this is bad example for college football, surprised at Kelly's handling of the situation

Dec 11, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #813 of 1,108
Watching local Cincy news......
Kelly attends team awards banquet, then from banquet goes on ESPN to accept coach of the year award, then calls team into private room for 2 minutes and tells them he is gone.........players tell Kelly to leave and then have private team players meeting

Players very upset with Kelly's timing before big game, hung them out to dry, also his comments to key players right before Pitt game

Mardy Gilyard especially upset as detailed here:
Gilyard

Dec 11, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #815 of 1,108
Well what the heck are you GOING to tell them? if you say "I'm leaving" or even "I'm thinking of leaving", that just leaves them with more questions and things to think about during the next day's game, and if you don't answer, it's even worse.

Dec 11, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #817 of 1,108
Well obviously Kelly didn't feel any real concern for his team players or killing Cincy's biggest bowl game ever..........he took care of himself

But college football should not allow this unjustice to happen!
It is extremely unfair to #3 BCS team and is a blackeye for college FB on top of BCS mess. Kelly not only is coach but calls all offensive plays, Cincy is toast for bowl game

There should be no stealing away head coaches before all games have been played that season by school they are under contract to.

Could you imagine the reverse happening and ND coach jumping ship before school's biggest bowl game, there would be national outrage and Lou Holtz ESPN would want federal investigation

Dec 11, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #818 of 1,108
Yeah, it does make a mess. Maybe they should prohibit coaching changes until after the NCG.

It's been obvious to me this was coming for weeks. But I do agree it's a bummer for Cincy.

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #819 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, it does make a mess. Maybe they should prohibit coaching changes until after the NCG.

This has been going on forever and as bad as it seems, it really is best for a coach to leave as soon as he excepts another job. Would you want a coach whom you are paying working for the competition on your dime. This guy would be recruiting players for ND while Cinn is paying his salary. Cinn needs to get a new coach so they don't disrupt their recruiting anymore than it has been. Besides, if he were to go to the Sugar Bowl and win it would benefit ND far more in the future (recruits) than it would Cinn.

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #820 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kelly not only is coach but calls all offensive plays, Cincy is toast for bowl game

Like I inferred, so did Rich Rod for WVU in 2007. You're obviously angry but to write off the whole enterprise at this point, would be presumptuous to me.

The coaching carousel will naturally fire up at this time every year. All this is noting new, and yet another reason I refuse to put stock in bowl results. Outside of the banquet circuit, no news is good news in December.

Dec 11, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #821 of 1,108
It's more unusual for moving head coaches to stay at their former employer for a bowl game than it is to leave for their new job. Don't blame Chip Kelly for being good enough to get a new job. Notre Dame is Notre Dame, regardless of where the program is or his chances of success thereof.

And Arianach is correct: what is he supposed to do or say? It's a no win situation for the coach as far as PR is concerned.

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #823 of 1,108
Seems they voted on who the winner of the big game would be. Same thing happened in 2005. Hope the horns respond the same way they did then. USC took home the heisman but UT took home the pretty crystal football.

Dec 13, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #824 of 1,108
I guess I hoped Suh or Gerhardt would win, since I think they've had the most impact on their TEAMS, and I wish the Heisman would stop going to "the best player on the best team", but to the best PLAYER. I'm not convinced Ingram, as good as he is, is as important to his team as either Suh or Gerhardt.

Dec 13, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #825 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I hoped Suh or Gerhardt would win, since I think they've had the most impact on their TEAMS, and I wish the Heisman would stop going to "the best player on the best team", but to the best PLAYER. I'm not convinced Ingram, as good as he is, is as important to his team as either Suh or Gerhardt.

When Richardson puts up identical numbers in a few years, you'll be vindicated. Ingram was a great back, but not the best player in the country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back