2009 College Football Thread
Nov 28, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #601 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woof Woof. Ole Miss just got their ass kicked and it looks like OSU is getting It even worse.

Ole Miss
Frickin cowbells do a number on Rebels, 4 turnovers never good...........that will cost the school money in lower bowl selection

Sooners
Very impressive complete beat down of Cowboys, only 109 total yards offense & 6 first downs!
Strong Sooner finish gives hope for next year to be better

Nov 29, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #603 of 1,108
Virginia Tech vs. Virginia

I almost felt bad for UVA towards the end... almost. If they hadn't gotten cocky and acted like complete b*****s at the beginning of the game and during the time they were actually winning, that is. UVA really just amazes me at how poorly they do football at their college... their way of going about things does not help them at all and only makes them look worse once they lose. Having tailgate recipes flashing on the jumbotron is just one small reminder that nobody seems to be 100% into the game.

That being said, I think this could be the beginning of a better future for Virginia...basically, it seems to me like they're going to get rid of Groh one way or another. I do kinda feel bad for Groh himself but certainly not bad for their fans or football team. They need someone to come in and rip that program apart and rebuild it as far as I'm concerned.

And shame on both teams for getting in that fight towards the end. I hate to see that.

Nov 29, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #605 of 1,108
Quote:

Top two teams in the ACC got beat by two unranked teams in the SEC east. Good day for the SEC today.

Rivalry week...you can throw out the rankings. Sad to see college football mostly over. Seems like the season just started.

Nov 29, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #607 of 1,108
Quote:

Well that sucks the big one. That is the second time this year where a field goal has killed us. I will say one thing about our defence also. They made LSU's offense look awsome.

Ronnie
Your hogs came very close to taming the bayou tiger, also could have beaten the gators at the swamp this year if not for some questionable referee calls.......remember those refs were suspended by SEC after game!

Also SEC had very impressive win with Georgia beating best team in ACC Ga Tech, almost no passing just ran them off the field with about 350 yds rushing, perhaps SEC is still king
smile.gif

Nov 29, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #608 of 1,108
Gators, Bama
Gators were impressive beating weak Seminoles, 545 yds offense with 311 rushing. Bama struggled against tougher opponent and won. Up until 2 weeks ago I would take Bama over Gators in SEC Championship, but Gators are peaking at right time and I slightly favor them to beat Bama, I always go with team that has played best last couple games but I don't feel strongly about this call

I think Bama is held back with only average QB play, Gators have an edge here and Tebow's ability to run will cause defensive headaches, next week is mother of all college FB weekends:

Gators vs Bama
Texas vs Nebraska
Cincy vs Pitt
Oregon vs Oregon St

Only way for TCU to get in national championship is for Nebraska to upset Texas, also Cincy may sneak ahead of TCU if they beat Pitt in BCS final standings.......but TCU with stronger defense is better than Cincy

Nov 29, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #609 of 1,108
I feel really bad for you Ronnie - you guys played well, and had your kicker let you down. That sucks.

Was glad to see ND lose to Stanford - that was a crazy game though. That Gerhart is a BEAST - wow. However, I thought Stanford should have been more impressive in victory than they were. ND could very easily have won that game, and this is a team that couldn't beat Navy or UConn. Admittedly, the Irish have been in every game they played, but still...

Some great finishes yesterday - the battle for Utah, the Border War between UT and UK, and the AR-LSU game - all great finishes.

Viro, congrats on an impressive win in the Bedlam game. Wow.

Looking forward to next week's - starting with the Civil War on Thursday, we get one more great weekend of CFB games next weekend!

Nov 29, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #610 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WVU, Pitt
Montaineers pull off the upset and drop Pitt to 9-2,

I bow to your picking prowess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that could be a problem for the Bearcats in their BCS game.

Yeah as much as I would love for a buster to get in there. Cincy would be a bad team to do it. It has long been my opinion that bowl games, with their long layoff, favor good defense over offense even more than usual.

Quote:

Originally Posted by woof37 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, how did everyone like the new Nike Combat unis? I finally found something to like about LSU.

I thought they were pretty sweet for a one game situation, especially the cleaner looks. To me, Virginia Tech's were extra cool. Missouri's tuxedo look was nice as well. Heck, I thought most of them worked save TCU's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Viro, congrats on an impressive win in the Bedlam game. Wow.

Hey thanks to everyone who gave the Sooners a little stroke. It was nice to watch them finish the regular season on a high note. OU's offense has been steamrolled by injury this year. I've never seen anything like it.

Word around here, is that OU is really going to push for the Alamo bowl over the Sun. Who do you think is going to rep the Big Ten?

--

Man, what a great batch of games! My heart sank a little for our resident Hog after that heartbreaker. He has experienced his fare share this year.

For me the best moment was saved for last, when Slick Rick and Petey played a game of one-upmanship. SC @ UCLA will be required viewing next year.

I haven't dug into much next week but will say Florida is my pick. They were my pick for the whole enchilada, and I'll ride that bus until it stalls.

Nov 29, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #611 of 1,108
The worst thing about this weekend was every game except one went the way I hoped it would. Thursday Texas beats A&M, Friday Bam wins. Then Saturday things really get rolling. Bullgogs beat Ole Miss, Gamecocks win, Sooners win, Georgia and Florida win. And then my hogs loose.

All the "experts" keep talking about how great this QB is but sometimes I just don't see it. He is a damn good passer but he just isn't all that aggressive when it comes to running the ball. I wonder how we would do if he would just stay on his feet and try to gain a few more yards. I know I have seen him hit the ground to avoid contact at least a dozen times this year when he is only a couple of yards shy of a first down. I guess when I see a QB as physically big as he is I expect him to be a little more aggressive. You didn't see Matt Jones pulling that crap. He got the first down.

Oh well, there is always next year.

Nov 29, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #612 of 1,108
Quote:

All the "experts" keep talking about how great this QB is but sometimes I just don't see it. He is a damn good passer but he just isn't all that aggressive when it comes to running the ball. I wonder how we would do if he would just stay on his feet and try to gain a few more yards. I know I have seen him hit the ground to avoid contact at least a dozen times this year when he is only a couple of yards shy of a first down. I guess when I see a QB as physically big as he is I expect him to be a little more aggressive. You didn't see Matt Jones pulling that crap. He got the first down.

Let the evidence state for the record, or something along those lines: Sam Bradford.

Nov 29, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #613 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Word around here, is that OU is really going to push for the Alamo bowl over the Sun. Who do you think is going to rep the Big Ten?

It really depends on whether the B10 gets a second BCS team (almost certainly Penn State if so).

If PSU does get a BCS at large, then I think you would will get Michigan State. If they do not, then you will get either Wisconsin or Northwestern, but I think Wisconsin. Northwestern is going to push VERY hard to go to the Champs Sports (assuming no 2nd BCS team), since we just went to the Alamo last year, since we beat Wisco head-to-head, and since Wisco has been to Orlando like 6 years in a row. I think Wisco would even favor this. So if you go Alamo, I think you will most likely get Wisconsin, but maybe MSU or NU.

Nov 29, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #614 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me the best moment was saved for last, when Slick Rick and Petey played a game of one-upmanship. SC @ UCLA will be required viewing next year.

It wasn't quite what some made it out to be - I was there last night.

'SC lined up in the victory formation and took a knee. That's always a clear indication that the game is over and that there is no intent to run up the score. When Carroll tells the team to take a knee, that's an olive branch and there's never any attempt to move the ball after that. Everyone expected UCLA to let the clock run out.

But Neuheisel took a time out, indicating that he still wanted to play. 'SC got out of the victory formation and lined up indicating that they were going to throw a pass.

Which is what they did.

It was obvious they were calling a pass. Receivers were out. Everyone in the stands knew a pass was coming. Why Neuheisel and his defensive staff didn't read the obvious and defend against it, I have no idea. If they had covered the play, they might have interrupted it, and an incomplete pass would have left time on the clock.

Also, the UCLA players behaved like children after the play. One of them threw a ref to the ground. I've never seen anything like it. For whatever reason, they didn't have any penalties or ejections.

As for next year... well, it's not like UCLA ever loved USC in the first place. The rivalry has been nasty every year of the 37 years I've been following it. Which is why every football fan should put this game on their "must watch" list. There's always a lot of passion and the games tend to be unpredictable, no matter the rankings or how each school has done in the season.

Nov 29, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #615 of 1,108
Quote:

If PSU does get a BCS at large, then I think you would will get Michigan State.

God I hope not. Both the last 2 years MSU has had to play opponents (Boston College, Georgia) who deserved a higher bowl than they got. Oklahoma would be more of the same, and would not be an enjoyable game (for MSU people) to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back