2009 College Football Thread
Nov 26, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #572 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it is very possible for Arkansas to take out LSU. We have been a lot weaker team in the past 2 years and have beaten them. I don't know why, but we can sometimes be a problem for LSU. Even when they were #1 in 2007, we beat them.

After more research I also am now leaning towards Arkansas taking out LSU, they do have some quality wins and close games with top teams........LSU still banged up from Ole Miss loss, LSU was rated too high in top 10 recently

Also I will repeat there is a good chance West Virginia can upset Pitt friday, they played Cincy very tough recently and they have home field, Pitt did not look very impressive against weak Notre Dame team IMO.........Cincy would not mind Pitt getting wind taken out of thier sails before Big East showdown

If my theory that Pac 10 is top conference is true, I want to see Notre Dame get spanked by Stanford this weekend.........

Nov 26, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #573 of 1,108
You've really hooked your wagon up to that Pitt @ WVU game.

I think Pitt is about the team you would want to play WVU. Under Wannstedt, they've never been really flashy but have played with discipline and fielded as solid D. I think that can get it done on the road even as daunting as M. Town can be. This version of the 'neers read option game isn't one of their better either. There is no doubt that Devine and Brown can be explosive. However, Stull is one of the most underrated qb's in the country and fourth in passing efficiency. I doubt a road game rattles that particular senior.

Perhaps most telling for me in TO margin. Teams that cough it up tend to fare worse on the road. I said Pitt is disciplined and the stat reflects that. They're no. 8, WVU is 79.

I like Pitt here. It'll be fun to see who's right!

Nov 27, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #574 of 1,108
TO margin is such a huge deal, and it often gets overlooked.

Perfect example is Penn State and Ohio State. Penn State ranks higher in BOTH total offense AND total defense than Ohio State. The difference? Ohio State is a whopping PLUS 16 in TO margin. PSU is all of +3.

Nov 27, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #576 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've really hooked your wagon up to that Pitt @ WVU game.

I like Pitt here. It'll be fun to see who's right!

Stats are important background info and on paper Pitt should win, but I put most emphasis how a team has played last couple games........WVU just played best game of the year and nearly beat a very fired up Cincy team on the road, if that same Mountaineer team shows up Friday at home I like thier chances to upset Pitt.........the backyard brawl

Nov 27, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #577 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it is very possible for Arkansas to take out LSU. We have been a lot weaker team in the past 2 years and have beaten them. I don't know why, but we can sometimes be a problem for LSU. Even when they were #1 in 2007, we beat them.

Possible? shewwwww I think it's a near lock, given how the two schools have been playing lately. Throw in the absolute and utter skewering of Les Miles this last week by every talk show host & online sports pundit...I don't see any way the swamp kitties keep their composure. The line opened at -6 LSU...I'm not a gambling degenerate, but if I was...lots o' dough on U-BBQ to cover.

Nov 27, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #578 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perfect example is Penn State and Ohio State. Penn State ranks higher in BOTH total offense AND total defense than Ohio State. The difference? Ohio State is a whopping PLUS 16 in TO margin. PSU is all of +3.

Man, that's a sweet example SkyLab. I love to look at TO margin, especially in games between equally matched teams.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
,but I put most emphasis how a team has played last couple games.

I rarely do. It's all about matchups for me, although only an idiot would discount the ebb and flow of a season. So by no means would I ever judge a person who adheres to that philosophy.

It's all in fun. Do it long enough, and I think few could be arrogant. You'll be hot. You'll be cold. Ride the wave and find what works for you.

Nov 27, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #579 of 1,108
That was a pretty entertaining game between the Horns and the Aggies last night. I have not seen A&M play at all this year, but that Jerrod Johnson looks like the real deal at QB. I really thought they were going to pull it out. That kick-return TD was an absolute back-breaker, though.

Nov 27, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #580 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was a pretty entertaining game between the Horns and the Aggies last night. I have not seen A&M play at all this year, but that Jerrod Johnson looks like the real deal at QB. I really thought they were going to pull it out. That kick-return TD was an absolute back-breaker, though.

Texas rolls with another impresssive offensive show........I wonder if there is any concern about Colt McCoy doing so many running plays, always the risk of injury to QB........Texas kick return was the dagger, tough defense coming up with Cornhuskers

I know you can't extrapolate from common opponents, but Oklahoma destroyed Aggies 65-10 couple weeks ago
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 27, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #581 of 1,108
Cincy
I am scratching my head as to why coach Kelly is going to start QB Tony Pike over Zach Collaros.......in the 4 wins by Collaros he has surpassed every QB rating measure vs Pike and has a staggering overall QB rating of 195 and only 1 pick

Add to that the fact he is extremely hard to sack and is a serious running threat (like Colt McCoy). If Cincy looses any of remaing games Kelly has some explaining to do!
confused.gif

Nov 27, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #582 of 1,108
Man the Aggies were ready for a game last night. They played a lot better last night than when we beat them earlier in the season. Of course that is their main game every year. Doesn't matter about the rest of the season. Thanksgiving night it's game on.

Just about time for Bama/Auburn game. Hope it's another good one like last night.

Would love to see Illinois pull out a win today.

Nov 27, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #583 of 1,108
Quote:

Cincy
I am scratching my head as to why coach Kelly is going to start QB Tony Pike over Zach Collaros.......in the 4 wins by Collaros he has surpassed every QB rating measure vs Pike and has a staggering overall QB rating of 195 and only 1 pick

Add to that the fact he is extremely hard to sack and is a serious running threat (like Colt McCoy). If Cincy looses any of remaing games Kelly has some explaining to do!
confused.gif

Cincy rolls on, a very unusual team with possibly best offense in the country combined to weak defense that gives up points very easily, lost 10 starters from defense last year so they are shakey here.......Pike steps in after 4 weeks off and puts up 6 TDs and 400 yds passing (not too shabby), Kelly looks smart for now but he is giving up QB running game/speed by Collaros

Nov 27, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #584 of 1,108
Quote:

Cincy rolls on, a very unusual team with possibly best offense in the country combined to weak defense that gives up points very easily, lost 10 starters from defense last year so they are shakey here.......Pike steps in after 4 weeks off and puts up 6 TDs and 400 yds passing (not too shabby), Kelly looks smart for now but he is giving up QB running game/speed by Collaros

Didn't the backup Cincy QB have a bad game the previous week? It changes things for a young backup knowing his predecessor is ready to step in if he screws up.

Nov 27, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #585 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof37 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't the backup Cincy QB have a bad game the previous week? It changes things for a young backup knowing his predecessor is ready to step in if he screws up.

Well against WVU he cooled off a bit but still 17/24 for 205 yds, Cincy had over 200 yds rushing that game so it was a different offensive balance, still his QB rating is off the charts at 195 for 4 games..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back