2009 College Football Thread
Nov 17, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #451 of 1,108
Sheesh, has it been 5 full years already???

Nov 18, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #452 of 1,108
Amazingly enough, yes. Weis' first year was my Freshman year in College. I graduated last year, although I never Redshirted.
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #453 of 1,108
Mangion is done at Kansas. For those that didn't know, there has been a pretty big stink rising over the last couple of weeks that emitted from his treatment of players. The Jayhawks' 0-5 stretch can't help. KU is a tough job. It will be interesting to see who they can get.

Who else is looking at the hook?

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #454 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One would think Vandy's coach but I guess sports are not that high up on their list. Kind of refreshing in a way. Somebody out their might actually care about educating student athletes.

Nov 19, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #456 of 1,108
Quote:

Mangion is done at Kansas. For those that didn't know, there has been a pretty big stink rising over the last couple of weeks that emitted from his treatment of players. The Jayhawks' 0-5 stretch can't help. KU is a tough job. It will be interesting to see who they can get.

Oh no! He poked a player in the chest and pulled on the facemask of another player!

Not saying he doesn't deserve to be fired, but surely other coaches have done much worse. Honestly, I wonder if his weight doesn't have anything to do with his getting fired. Maybe we'll see a lawsuit.

Mike Sherman has to be sitting in a hot bath down at Texas AM. Though, the aggies may have too much money tied up to do anything just yet.

Nov 20, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #458 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by J W /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mike Sherman has to be sitting in a hot bath down at Texas AM. Though, the aggies may have too much money tied up to do anything just yet.

This is the issue with a lot of these big-time coaching deals - Universities who are hiking tuition payments have a hard time justifying to their boards writing a check for $2M to the head coach they want to fire. They can build a dorm for that.

Nov 20, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #459 of 1,108
^ I'm not quite following your stance there. Do you think coaches should be paid less, or the buyouts are just a risk associated with big contracts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW

Man they're bad, but since it's only his second year and his first two recruiting classes were good to very good, I bet he has a couple of more years slack on the rope.

Did you hear the Leach to Louisville rumor? I would hate to see Leach go. I love the guy, but you have to wonder if he shouldn't move on - if someone would take him, not like he hasn't tried! - and has achieved about all that can be achieved at Tech.

Nov 20, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #460 of 1,108
For a lesson on buyouts gone bad research the Razorbacks/Hoston Nutt fiasco. Nutt gets large no-strings check which allows him to move to Ole Miss which is in the same conference division (SEC West), take most of the coaching staff, and end up with most of the new recruits that he recruited to Arkansas. What an f'n joke. Our AD should have been hung on the campus in front of Old Main.

Nov 20, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #461 of 1,108
Quote:

^ I'm not quite following your stance there. Do you think coaches should be paid less, or the buyouts are just a risk associated with big contracts?

More the latter, and while I have no issue with the coaches getting paid a lot, I do HATE guarantees - in anything. I hate them in pro sport player contracts too. It should be reasonable salaries, with big incentives for performance. And no buyout clauses. This will make coaches think twice about making needless moves - which I think is good.

I am a huge believer in getting paid handsomely for outstanding performance - and also in NOT getting paid a lot for doing a crap job.

Nov 20, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #462 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the issue with a lot of these big-time coaching deals - Universities who are hiking tuition payments have a hard time justifying to their boards writing a check for $2M to the head coach they want to fire. They can build a dorm for that.

30% tuition increase at California college causing student protests.......you wonder how long some sports programs will survive under these circumstances

University of California students protest 32 percent tuition increase - CNN.com

Nov 20, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #463 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawg
What an f'n joke. Our AD should have been hung on the campus in front of Old Main.

biggrin.gif
I'd be bitter too.

--

I actually thought of old Skylab a little today. This is the last weekend of Big Ten footbal. I'm sure it's a bittersweet moment. As I say every year, I'm going to miss my early Saturday Big Ten matchups while I nurse my hangover to the smooth sounds of Pam Ward.

The big game for me this week is Oregon @ Arizona. First in the Pac in on the line, and I'ma going to be rooting for them Wildcats.

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #464 of 1,108
Quote:

I actually thought of old Skylab a little today. This is the last weekend of Big Ten footbal. I'm sure it's a bittersweet moment. As I say every year, I'm going to miss my early Saturday Big Ten matchups while I nurse my hangover to the smooth sounds of Pam Ward.

Indeed - I can't believe it's already here. Wow.

I'm going up to the NU - Wisco game, of course - supposed to be 55 and sunny tomorrow - pretty nice for late November in Chicago. NU and UW are 5-5 in the last 10 games, and we haven't played them since '06.

Means I will miss the second half of the tOSU-Mich game, but it'll be over by then.

One of the other two OSU's really struggled last night without Robinson - I guess with a concussion it's hard to say when he'll return.

I will also be routing for the Wildcats from Arizona - been a while for them as Pac 10 camps, I believe
wink.gif

(IIRC, they have never won an outright title, and only shared it once)

Nov 20, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #465 of 1,108
Right you are. The magical internet has told me their only Pac title came in 93 and was shared. My own rusty memory can say that was a golden era for Wildcat football and their "desert storm" monikered defenses. That's about it for my Arizona football knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back