2007 Awards for Headphones and Amps
Dec 31, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #46 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by blem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sony SA5000 and ATH-AD2000 are not, imo, in the same class as the HD650 AKG K701 and DT-880.

They are OK, but the sound is just not as natural as the other three. The ATH-AD2000 has too much highs, a weak bass - the presentation is just "off". The Sony does have a lot of detail, but it also has a metallic cavernous sound which to my ears is just unbearable - I was very disappointed.

Both of these heaphones are way overpriced, considering you can get a new AKG K701 for less than 300$, or even an an HD600 for 250$...

That's just your personal opinion.

I rate SA5000 on par with 880, above 650 and AD2000 and way above K701.

Dec 31, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #47 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoustic Chef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where's the cables award?

Lol, I was contemplating awards for CDPs and interconnects but decided against it since I don't think I have enough experience with either.

The best interconnects I heard in 2007 were/are definitely the VH Audio Spectrum Ag. Incredibly smooth sounding for something with silver in it. I can't make any detailed comments on it though until I get my new amp.

The best power cord I heard in 2007 was the Black Sand Violet Z1. It added all kinds of dimensionality and blackness. Nicely purple and flexible too. A smasher of a power cord!

The best solid-state CDP I heard was/is the Accuphase DP-500, with the Arcam FMJ CD33 a close second. Both very detailed players that do more things right than they do wrong.

I heard only 1 tube CDP but it was damned impressive, the Audio Aero Prima. Just because I didn't personally like it didn't mean it sounded bad. It made me want to hear more tube CDPs.

Dec 31, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #49 of 58
Er, I heard only stock and Equinox. Now if all those companies could loan me a set of their HD650 cables...
biggrin.gif

Equinox is a definite improvement over stock for whatever that's worth. Makes the HD650 sound less "veiled."

Dec 31, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #50 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are other closed headphones that I haven't heard that I might suggest researching and auditioning if possible: Denon AH-D5000 & AH-D2000, Ultrasone PROline 2500 or 750, Ultrasone Edition 9.

very good effort for the write up..... but aren't these above (and the dx1000) possibly some of the most talked about phones of the last year???

Dec 31, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #51 of 58
I didn't hear any of those (well except for the Edition 9 but only for 5-10 minutes), but that's why I mentioned them, because they were among the most-talked about headphones.
wink.gif

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #52 of 58
Quote:

I didn't hear any of those (well except for the Edition 9 but only for 5-10 minutes), but that's why I mentioned them, because they were among the most-talked about headphones.
wink.gif

possibly the most talked about because many consider them the current cream of the crop? ...going by the thousands of posts anyway...

hopefully both of us can grab more of a listen in 08
wink.gif

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #53 of 58
Quote:

Lol, I was contemplating awards for CDPs and interconnects but decided against it since I don't think I have enough experience with either.

The best interconnects I heard in 2007 were/are definitely the VH Audio Spectrum Ag. Incredibly smooth sounding for something with silver in it. I can't make any detailed comments on it though until I get my new amp.

The best power cord I heard in 2007 was the Black Sand Violet Z1. It added all kinds of dimensionality and blackness. Nicely purple and flexible too. A smasher of a power cord!

The best solid-state CDP I heard was/is the Accuphase DP-500, with the Arcam FMJ CD33 a close second. Both very detailed players that do more things right than they do wrong.

I heard only 1 tube CDP but it was damned impressive, the Audio Aero Prima. Just because I didn't personally like it didn't mean it sounded bad. It made me want to hear more tube CDPs.

Sounds like we're going to have to get you a VD cable to play with.
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #54 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's just your personal opinion.

I rate SA5000 on par with 880, above 650 and AD2000 and way above K701.

Of course its my personal experience !

Since you had me doubting, I read through ASR's AD2000 loaner program thread, and I was reassured to see that some other "respected" head-fi'ers also agreed that the AD2000 ranked below such phones as the 650 and 701. Anyway, I don't want to start a war. ASR did invite everyone to express their opinions, which I did.

By the way, I would give Asr my vote for Head-fier of the year for starting these loaner programs ! I wish they were more.

Happy new year !

Jan 1, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #55 of 58
AD2000, 2006 DT880-250, HD650, K701, RS-1, SA5000

To make those a 6 -way equal tie and not to include the Ergo 2 is folly. Folly say I!

Consider this post my glowering condemnation!

HAPPY NEW YEAR
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #57 of 58
Very nicely thought out post and well written too. I would only add the Sennheiser HD565 to your "Discontinued Phones" list. It may not have been a flagship, but it was one of the best balanced and most satisfying phones ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back