2007 Awards for Headphones and Amps
Dec 30, 2007 at 11:46 AM Post #31 of 58
The Sony SA5000 and ATH-AD2000 are not, imo, in the same class as the HD650 AKG K701 and DT-880.

They are OK, but the sound is just not as natural as the other three. The ATH-AD2000 has too much highs, a weak bass - the presentation is just "off". The Sony does have a lot of detail, but it also has a metallic cavernous sound which to my ears is just unbearable - I was very disappointed.

Both of these heaphones are way overpriced, considering you can get a new AKG K701 for less than 300$, or even an an HD600 for 250$...

Dec 30, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #32 of 58
Great Ears. Followed by great observations ASR. The Proline 2500's are open however. And are worth hearing when the opportunity knock's. The Audio Technica AD 2k's are on the Radar. I should recable the K701's. Now that I'm thinking about it. I second Boomana's nomination. 2008 should be the "Year of the portable AMP/DAC combo's".

Dec 30, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #33 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by blem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ATH-AD2000 has too much highs, a weak bass - the presentation is just "off".

I would actually say the ad2000 lacks highs and has a lot of bass if I were to nitpick

Dec 30, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #34 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would actually say the ad2000 lacks highs and has a lot of bass if I were to nitpick

Shows how different every persons ears are and how differently they react to different headphones.
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #35 of 58
I found the K701 and AD2000 to be similar in terms of such traits as neutrality, transparency, accuracy, and so on. That is - far more natural than the others mentioned, which not as dry and each tend to have a unique coloration.

Dec 30, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #36 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shows how different every persons ears are and how differently they react to different headphones.
biggrin.gif

well, compared to the px100, the bass volume might seem less and the treble might seem bright but the px100 is not exactly a basis for neutrality ain't it
biggrin.gif
hehehe. The bass impact, extension and control is more than the px100 though.

Dec 30, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #37 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, compared to the px100, the bass volume might seem less and the treble might seem bright but the px100 is not exactly a basis for neutrality ain't it
biggrin.gif
hehehe. The bass impact, extension and control is more than the px100 though.

Why are you bringing the px100 up ?

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #40 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard only the K340 (extensively) and the Stax Omega II SR-007 (for about 5 minutes) amped by the HeadAmp KGSS DX. I have to say that I wasn't immediately impressed by the OII and I feel now I should've given it a fairer chance.

I owned the K340 and as good a headphone as the beast is, I don't think it gives an honest taste of the electrostatic sound. Granted, I've only heard/owned the Sony ECR-500 (which is an electret), that thing sounds so much more effortless and detailed at low volumes. And, no pun intended, I found the ECR-500 to be gobs more dynamic.

If I were you I'd look around for a cheaper pair of Stax electrostatic's to at least get a taste. By some of your comments (especially those surrounding the AD2000, and even parts of the DT880) I honestly think you'd be pleasantly surprised by what you heard. The hardest thing for you to overcome, I'd imagine, would be to let go of the specific coloration your favored dynamic cans possess.

khbaur

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #41 of 58
Oooh...controversy! And on a list almost orchestrated to do the opposite. I don't think I'm reading too much into the review, but Asr is offers a succinct set of reviews, realizing that everybody has their own taste. E.g., I sold my AD-2000 and am still listening to my K701 - and it's entirely taste.

Asr - great article, as usual.

Dec 31, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #43 of 58
my short year in review, or what i think a good home setup is for dynamics.

1. buy only top model headphones (less upgrading).

2. recable and balance them (so buy a balanced amp as well)

3. ditch the cpu and get a good cd player (playback is not just the DAC).

4. stop agonizing over the cable debate and just buy one good IC and PC and never think about it again.

press play. the end

Users who are viewing this thread

Back