2006 jeep wrangler
Apr 22, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #16 of 36
wait untill gas goes up over the summer. then the delarships will be HURTING to give the jeeps away.

if you are looking for a functional off-road-vehicle, used may be better. some of hte older jeeps had some sweet parts that the newer ones dont offer.

the new toyota mildly resembles the old one. a civic with a "skirt" and a wing mildly resembels a fast car.... enough said.

Apr 22, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #17 of 36
Wranglers are awful in snow, and get really crapty mileage. That being said they can climb rocks like nobodys business (with another 8 grand in mods) and they can tow stuff fairly well.

You'll also want to invest in a solid-top & doors if it snows in your neck of the woods. Don't waste money on a stereo since they're so noisy you won't hear any benfits.

With the exception of the 1% (outlaw climber gangs!) of Wrangler buyers who actually rock-climb, its a really bad vehicle that should have stayed in WW2. I don't suggest buying one as your only ride.

Apr 22, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #18 of 36
My mom bought a 2005 Solar Flare Yellow Wrangler last year and she liked it for about 6 months, but I think she's now starting to regret it.. The road noise is bearable at first but after a while it becomes pretty bothersome.. Especially long trips. As far as gas mileage I think hers gets in the neighborhood of 16 miles to the gallon on a good day. On long road trips you can get tired driving one of these things pretty quick. You feel every bump in the road and on a windy day you'll get blown all over the road. They look cool in the summer and I'm sure they're great for a short drive with the top down, but I really couldn't see myself using one of these as a daily driver and wouldn't recommend one a daily driver to anyone else.

Apr 22, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

I am not 100% sure but I believe the 06s still come with the 4.0L six instead of the Liberty's 3.7 V6 and that the 4L straight has been the most reliable engine of all time. Hence earning the moniker "Bulletproof". Buy now if this is true because as of 07 the body style is changing and the engine is being replaced with the 3.7 used in the Liberty and the Pacifica. Not that it's a bad engine but the 4 has stood the test of time, lasting since the AMC days(like over 30 years)!

The cast iron pushrod... ?

gas guzzling and innefficient are two words that come to mind.

I personally don't like jeeps. So many purchase just for the poseur factor. I have an old Suzuki Sierra and from what has been described, it's just as rough as the jeep. Yet it costs about 10% of the price and would use about 1/4 of the fuel. Both are excellent off road. Both have massive potential for modificationg. Both are soft top. For me it was an easy choice because I didn't need to look cool while getting a latte...
tongue.gif

If you're gonna get a jeep and actually use it off-road then that's a valid purchase. Theres not much else going around thats a soft top anyway so a wrangler is pretty much your only choice if you want a new vehicle. It's a shame Suzuki softened up and dropped their open tops.

Quote:

the new toyota mildly resembles the old one. a civic with a "skirt" and a wing mildly resembels a fast car.... enough said.

Don't doubt the Tojo. I've heard some good things about the FJs off roading ability. It uses the 120 series Landcruiser chassis and has better articulation than some of the 120 versions. Can't be that bad then.

I just had a look at some footage of one trying a bit of fairly difficult crawling for a stock vehicle. Did fairly well, round about what I'd expect from a Disco or Rangie.

Apr 22, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #21 of 36
update..i will be waiting for the new 5 door wrangler to come out..and then will pounce!

Apr 23, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by splaz
The cast iron pushrod... ?

gas guzzling and innefficient are two words that come to mind.

I personally don't like jeeps. So many purchase just for the poseur factor. I have an old Suzuki Sierra and from what has been described, it's just as rough as the jeep. Yet it costs about 10% of the price and would use about 1/4 of the fuel. Both are excellent off road. Both have massive potential for modificationg. Both are soft top. For me it was an easy choice because I didn't need to look cool while getting a latte...
tongue.gif

If you're gonna get a jeep and actually use it off-road then that's a valid purchase. Theres not much else going around thats a soft top anyway so a wrangler is pretty much your only choice if you want a new vehicle. It's a shame Suzuki softened up and dropped their open tops.

Don't doubt the Tojo. I've heard some good things about the FJs off roading ability. It uses the 120 series Landcruiser chassis and has better articulation than some of the 120 versions. Can't be that bad then.

I just had a look at some footage of one trying a bit of fairly difficult crawling for a stock vehicle. Did fairly well, round about what I'd expect from a Disco or Rangie.

actually I love offroading, I haven't joined a club or taken real trails, but I like to play in the mud. I am driving a 91 Toyota 4runner, but can't do any mods to it, because its my dads truck. I want a jeep because they seem like a real easy vehicle to mod, I could settle for any type of cheap truck with offroading potential. I've even looked at those little geo trackers. The biggest appeal of a jeep is the ease of adding a rollcage, and the solid front axle.

Sep 14, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #23 of 36
Sorry to bump this thread but...I have been looking for the past few weeks for a used 1998-2000 TJ but have been unsuccessful so far. They seem to hold their value well and 1998's are still around $8000-10,000 Canadian. This is party because I have been picky and want a good body with low km's.

Anyway, My wife and I have pretty well decided to lease a brand new 06 TJ. With my uncles employee discount I can get the payments down to around $390-400 month over 48.

What I'm looking for is info any Jeep owners have about a few things. I have heard that the bodies rot and rust easily. Is this still the case with the newer vehicles? I have no problems taking care of the car, but if early rust is inevitable it's an issue to me. How's the reliability? and also what are you seeing as far as fuel consumption goes?

Other than that, feel free to chime in with any pros and cons you may have with your jeep...

Thanks guys...

Sep 14, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
What I'm looking for is info any Jeep owners have about a few things. I have heard that the bodies rot and rust easily. Is this still the case with the newer vehicles? I have no problems taking care of the car, but if early rust is inevitable it's an issue to me. How's the reliability? and also what are you seeing as far as fuel consumption goes?

Other than that, feel free to chime in with any pros and cons you may have with your jeep...

Thanks guys...

The TJ's don't have any real rust issues. The only way you can get in trouble is leaving the top off and letting water sit in the floors. The tubs are much better than before...

The '06 TJ is about as good as you can get with respect to reliability in the sense that most if not all issues have been worked out. The I6 (the last year) is a tried and true design that should get 200k miles plus.

You're not going to get much with respect to mileage. The TJ's aerodynamics, while better than CJ's & YJ's, are still pretty close to a box on wheels. So you won't get much better mileage with the 4 cyl. Get the 6... the 4 is a dog. With aerodynamics like that, the engine doesn't make much of a difference.

Sep 14, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4
The TJ's don't have any real rust issues. The only way you can get in trouble is leaving the top off and letting water sit in the floors. The tubs are much better than before...

The '06 TJ is about as good as you can get with respect to reliability in the sense that most if not all issues have been worked out. The I6 (the last year) is a tried and true design that should get 200k miles plus.

You're not going to get much with respect to mileage. The TJ's aerodynamics, while better than CJ's & YJ's, are still pretty close to a box on wheels. So you won't get much better mileage with the 4 cyl. Get the 6... the 4 is a dog. With aerodynamics like that, the engine doesn't make much of a difference.

Cool thanks. I am looking at the inline 6 TJ Sport. The mileage I figured wouldn't be great, but like you said, what can you expect from a box on wheels. I don't think people should complain about gas prices when they choose to buy an SUV, and I won't...

I have heard mixed reviews about Jeep bodies, but have also heard that newer ones are much better. When I was looking around for 98-2000's I noticed that the hinges on the windshield seemed to be the worst culprit for rusting. How has yours been?

Sep 14, 2006 at 11:46 AM Post #26 of 36
In the late 90's it seemed like the majority of my friends and Co workers either owned Wranglers or Grand Cherokees. Everyone of them had major issues before the vehicles were 3 years old, and most of them only drove them on the highway, no off road stuff. Hopefully the quality has gotten better since then, but based on my experience with the big 3, I wouldnt count on it.

Sep 20, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #28 of 36
So I went to the dealership today and spoke with a salesman about my options. Anyway, The payments were $400/month, but I would have to pay the $800 gas tax, $100 AC tax and the $1050 freight. Due on signing would be about $2600 after tax. If I wanted to the roll the charges into the lease it would bring the payment to $454 monthly. The lease rate is 1.9 percent, so I figured it would be better to roll the charges into the lease payment. The $54/month would work out to be pretty well the same after 4 years as paying it all up front, plus it means I don't need to have $2600 right away.

Does anyone (in Canada particularly, but anywhere is fine too) have any experience leasing a jeep. I have never owned or leased a brand new vehicle before so I'm not sure if there is anything else I need to know.

Thanks...

Sep 20, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911
yeah....i am so tempted..it is only the reliability part that is getting me...makes me want to lease rather than buy

I had a 1983 jeep truck with the 4.0L inline six that managed 338,000 mostly trouble free miles before I decide to pass it on. When I gave it away the engine was running as smoothly as ever.
eek.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #30 of 36
Wranglers are all fun and no practicality. Buy one if you want a toy, not something to commute in. Nothing worse than having to stop, pull over, and struggle putting up that annoying soft-top while you and your passengers and/or other precious cargo get rained on. Others have already mentioned the rough ride, generally uncomfortable seats, gas mileage, and tire noise.

I had a '94 model, so in addition to those previously mentioned issues, the soft top itself didn't seal too well, and the windows sealed only with a zipper. This meant the cabin temperature was especially prone to matching that of the arctic winter climate around it. It was slow to heat and poor at retaining that heat as well.

Plastic windows get dirtier and are harder to clean. Unzipping them to pay tolls is a minor nuisance, but one you'll notice every time. Those thin plastic window flaps also make the vehicle particularly vulnarable to break-ins: My friend had his whole back seat stolen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back