~$2000 Speaker Budget (Considering a B&W 600 Series, thoughts?)
Dec 1, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #31 of 45
Monitor Audio > B&W, no question. I know you have your choices narrowed down pretty well, but you really should consider two-way monitor in that price range. Stand mount two-ways work brilliantly in small to medium spaces, especially problematic spaces where planars and electrostats fall flat. The NOLA Boxer sells for $1500 last I checked, and sounds very good. The Merlin TSM is one of my favorites, but you'd need to find one used.

You should also seriously consider the Vapor Sound Breeze. The Cirrus is arguably the best monitor under $10K, and if the Breeze is even half as good at $1250, it's a steal.

Dec 2, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #32 of 45
The biggest issue is what I am able to actually audition. Gotta admit that those Sehring TTVJ has on sale right now caught my eye. 

I'm not opposed to anything, but stand costs must be considered in the budget as well. My current 4301Bs are on side tables that function as stands.

Quote:
Monitor Audio > B&W, no question. I know you have your choices narrowed down pretty well, but you really should consider two-way monitor in that price range. Stand mount two-ways work brilliantly in small to medium spaces, especially problematic spaces where planars and electrostats fall flat. The NOLA Boxer sells for $1500 last I checked, and sounds very good. The Merlin TSM is one of my favorites, but you'd need to find one used.

You should also seriously consider the Vapor Sound Breeze. The Cirrus is arguably the best monitor under $10K, and if the Breeze is even half as good at $1250, it's a steal.

Dec 7, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #34 of 45
I have high hopes for the Monitors. I just need to get the email back from my local dealer and go have a listen.

Quote:
MorbidToaster whenever you get to hear the Monitor Audio speakers I'd like to know your thoughts on them versus the B&W.

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #35 of 45
I saw this thread and felt obligated to share my experiences since I was in a similar situation till not too long ago. Keep in mind that I listen to some of everything, but mostly classical.

I'm a single 22 year old girl who lives on the 2nd floor of an apartment complex. I moved in about 6 months ago after graduating college and immediately went to audition new speakers for my apartment. I listened to quite a few floorstanding speakers in the 1-3k range including the 683/684, CM9s, Magneplanar 1.6, Martin Logan electrostat hybrids, Paradigm Monitor 7/9s, and more. Eventually I bought the Martin Logan Source's for the detailed and fast mids-highs while still having a respectable woofer (although not as fast). They were also in the process of being discontinued and therefore offered at discounted prices.

After 6 months, I decided that although the ML's were great speakers (especially for 1.5k), I really should have bought a pair of stand-mounted monitors instead of the big floorstanders. The advantages of stand-mounted monitors are numerous in an apartment setting:
- Smaller/lighter boxes/packages
- Often more detailed and cleaner in the mid-highs compared to similarly classed floorstanders
- Bass is less likely to get you complaints from neighbors (I'm not a bass head and I don't play music at extremely loud volumes)
- Much easier to pack/move/ship if need be (I consider this fairly important since people who live in apartments have a fairly high chances of moving in 1-3 years. Spending $500 to ship $1500 floorstanders would really suck.)
- Generally cost less than the equivalent floorstanders
- Matching sub can be added later on to achieve dynamic levels that are often on par or even superior to their floorstanding siblings

So having made this list in my head, I went out in search of a monitor replacement for my floorstanders and ended up buying the Sonus Faber Guarneri Mementos (my budget was much larger this time around). So far I'm confident that I made the right decision for my situation... now just have to sell off my ML's :)

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #36 of 45

Quote:
So having made this list in my head, I went out in search of a monitor replacement for my floorstanders and ended up buying the Sonus Faber Guarneri Mementos (my budget was much larger this time around). So far I'm confident that I made the right decision for my situation... now just have to sell off my ML's :)

Nice. Not my favorite speaker (particularly at $15K/pr), but they certainly are pretty and do well with classical. As I've mentioned many times I'm a huge fan of two-way stand mount speakers, particularly in smaller spaces like apartments. Aside from the benefits you mentioned, two-way monitors in my experience simply excel at disappearing into the music, which is my favorite aspect of loudspeaker listening. Floorstanders with cabinets 3 or 4 times as large that use multi-driver arrays and much more complex crossovers have to work much harder to achieve the same goal. That being said, I think $5-10K is the sweetsport for stand-mount speakers - the Vapor Cirrus, Merlin TSM, and Joseph Pulsar being some of the very best in that category. When you get to $10K+, floorstanders start matching the imaging abilities of even the very best monitors, and the bass limitation of 40-50Hz becomes less excusable. 

At the $15K level I'd be looking at the E-W Rosa Signature and Rockport Mira.

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #37 of 45
Okay so opening the floor to standing two ways (was never against them, but floor standers just caught my fancy) what would you recommend around 2k? Speakers only. 

A sub would definitely be added later, and stands can be counted as an extra cost. 

I'm currently using a pair of JBL 4301Bs which are 2 ways.

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #38 of 45
Some things to consider are:
Paradigm Studio 20 and possibly Signature S2?
Dynaaudio Focus 140
Usher BE-718
Ravel Peforma M22
Bowers Wilkins CM and possibly 805 (non D)?

There are a lot more choices i'm sure...

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #39 of 45
Look at the Zaph|Audio ZRT kit at Madisound.  About $1,600 with cabinets.  The drivers are about as good as you mll get at any price and those measurements are impeccable.  I'd buy them if I didn't already have a good 2-way floorstander.

Which reminds me, check Audiogon to see if they have any ProAc Response 2.5 speakers.  I've seen them dip below $2k recently.  If they're anything like the cloned version (supposedly, they're very close) then you won't have any need for a subwoofer.  They can have your neighbors summon the police just fine by themselves.

Dec 15, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #40 of 45

Quote:
Okay so opening the floor to standing two ways (was never against them, but floor standers just caught my fancy) what would you recommend around 2k? Speakers only.

A Merlin TSM-MMi just came up and sold on Audiogon in less than a day. Amazing, the buyer definitely knew what a deal that was at $1500. There's another TSM, the MXE just listed for $1900. I highly recommend the TSM, it's one of my absolute favorite monitors. Merlins in general are just great speakers, they don't make a bad one. Also definitely worth a look is the Totem The One LE on there. Totem doesn't always get it right, but they did with that speaker. Guarneri mentioned the Usher Be-718 which is pretty common on the used market. Prices have dipped since the release of the DMD version, and it's worth considering.

Other good choices are the LSA 1 Statement, PMC TB2i, and the Mark & Daniel Maximus. Lots of great stuff around the $1500-2000 mark right now.

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #41 of 45

Quote:

A sub would definitely be added later, and stands can be counted as an extra cost. 

I'm currently using a pair of JBL 4301Bs which are 2 ways.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MRGX100    Flagship (I think) bookself Monitor Audio.

PSB Synchrony Two
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_760SYN2BB/PSB-Synchrony-Two-B-Black-Ash.html?tp=186&avf=N&nvpair=FFBrand|PSB#overview-tab

Way under budget but a possible try out fun Energy sale a near $1000 pair for $440.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_732V51B/Energy-Veritas-V-5-1-Black.html?tp=186&avf=N&nvpair=FFBrand|Energy

Dec 17, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #44 of 45
The JBL were my fathers and I'd like to build my own system.

Haven't checked out Zu.

Not really. Seems like they've tone downhill.

Quote:
So why do you not want to go with your JBL's anymore? What about Zu? Any are you still considering B&W?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back