200?
Sep 2, 2011 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

slicedtoad

New Head-Fier
I'm on $200 or so budget and need a pair of over-ear, noise canceling earphones for my IPhone and laptop.

They need to be comfortable, look nice, have good sound quality (mostly rock) and be decently portable. The need to be durable enough for travel (and have a decent cable that wont break too easily).

Sep 2, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 14
Oops, hit 'enter' while i was retyping the title. Can't find the edit button either...

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations? I was looking at the AKG K271 MKII which were on sale at amazon for 145 but they don't ship to Canada and the Canadian version doesn't have that sale on.

Also i won't be using an amp.

Edit: oh there the edit button is. sorry for the double post

Sep 2, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 14
You ride on buses and airplanes and trains a lot?

Sep 2, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #4 of 14
Unfortunately looks are even more subjective than sound.

The K271 has a low sensitivity, and might not be driven properly with your iPhone and laptop. Check the price on the Sennheiser HD25-1 II. I think it looks attractive, anyway.

Sep 2, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 14
The HD 25-1 II is portable, blocks out a lot of noise, costs ~$200 and sounds pretty **** good doing it. I bought a pair a couple of months back and have no regrets thus far. They also go pretty loud without an amp, should be fine out of an iPhone. They're incredibly durable, have a strong cable and are generally recommended for rock, something that's been true in my experience.

In fact, they're pretty much perfect for your situation. Hmm...

Sep 2, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
Unfortunately looks are even more subjective than sound.

The K271 has a low sensitivity, and might not be driven properly with your iPhone and laptop. Check the price on the Sennheiser HD25-1 II. I think it looks attractive, anyway.

x2, for the HD25's for a youngster :thumbsup:

Sep 3, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
costs ~$200 and sounds pretty **** good doing it.

What, the 'd' word is forbidden now? I didn't even know anyone even considered it a swear word. Especially by internet standards...

Sep 3, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
x2, for the HD25's for a youngster 

X3, they are nice portables with good isolation. Clamp force is strong at the beginning. 

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #9 of 14
thanks for you replies, I'm having a bit of trouble finding a dealer that will ship the HD25-1 II to Canada. The only place I've seen them so far is eBay and they all use UPS 
angry_face.gif
. Anyone know a better place to buy them?

Also i was on newegg and found these on sale: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826626010

They're clearly not as good as the Senheiser's and don't have noise cancellation but they do look nice and are a bit cheaper. What do you guys think of them?

Sep 5, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #10 of 14
For a (really) in-depth comparison of the V-Moda to the HD 25-1 and others, Joker did a comprehensive comparison review. (You can just read the HD 25 and V-Moda parts.)

Looking at a quick Google search, it's shocking how few Canadian dealers there are for the HD 25-1s. I thought being in Europe was bad enough (though not for Senns, fortunately). You could always check the FS forums and see if anyone's willing to send a pair to Canada, though that way you'd probably end up with a used pair. Or you could just buy the Crossfades and be damned with it all.

Sep 5, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
For a (really) in-depth comparison of the V-Moda to the HD 25-1 and others, Joker did a comprehensive comparison review. (You can just read the HD 25 and V-Moda parts.)

Looking at a quick Google search, it's shocking how few Canadian dealers there are for the HD 25-1s. I thought being in Europe was bad enough (though not for Senns, fortunately). You could always check the FS forums and see if anyone's willing to send a pair to Canada, though that way you'd probably end up with a used pair. Or you could just buy the Crossfades and be damned with it all.

They sell the Adidas version at Futureshop. I saw it there the other day.

Sep 6, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #14 of 14
My definitions might be a bit off. i meant non-earbuds.
does over ear mean ones that clamp around you ear instead of on? they'd be nice but i'm not willing to sacrifice on quality for it.

And thanks for linking that review btw. very useful.

Edit: i'm thinking of buying these off ebay: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sennheiser-HD-25-1-ii-HD25-25-1-Studio-Headphones-/370540574242?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5645f07622#ht_2312wt_1139

they come with the soft pads which is a bonus.

Edit: i bought them. not the linked ones cause they're used but another pair that came with the same stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back