<200 Open Backs
May 22, 2015 at 7:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

GoodListener611

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,
I am a wannabe audiophile just starting out. The amount of experience present on this forum is astounding. So, I have decided to venture into the world of Open-Back headphones. My budget tops out at 200$. This is including the cost of the headphones themselves and the amp (portable if possible). Your suggestions would be valuable. Thanks!

May 22, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #2 of 11
You'll get more helpful answers if you add your preferences in terms of what genres of music you like, or what you listen for (bass, vocals, percussion for instance).

But as a shot in the dark, how about the Grado SR225e which I see is 200 bucks on a certain site named after a rain forest. They certainly have an open sound.

May 22, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #5 of 11
I'll recommend Sennheiser HD558 cans and a Topping NX1 amp.  I have this combo paired with my FiiO X1 and love it.  I only listen to metal.  It Would cost you around $140 USD  for the amp and the cans from Amazon.

May 22, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #7 of 11
How are the AKG K612 and the Audio Technica AD900x?

The AKGs are relatively warm, tonally. Decent bass extension, somewhat laid back mids. The ATs are almost an exact opposite. They're airy and vivid, a little light on the bottom, fairly transparent mids. The 612s make for a better physical fit on some individuals and are more comfortable all around, generally speaking. This being said, if your head is the right size for the ATs, after a short time it feels like there's nothing there; the cans are light and their wing'd headband puts very little pressure on the head. The key is having the right size (read: big) melon. The AKGs are more flexible in this regard. Good luck.

May 22, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #10 of 11
You might want to consider the Sony MDR MA900. Wide soundstage with superb imaging and a great midrange. Very smooth sounding. 

Also, you won't need an amp for it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back