$200 Need portable cans that are built to last! Grado SR225e or Sennheiser HD25 Plus?
Apr 21, 2020 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

BattleBrat

Previously known as Blasto_Brandino.
Which are better all rounders, they need to play pretty much everything and be built to last!

Apr 23, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #3 of 15
Apr 23, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #4 of 15
Ordered the Grados, this post did it. I’m looking into AKGs though, I’ve only heard a pair of K701s once off a phone amp combo, they deserve a better look.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gra...s2e-which-way-to-upgrade.756013/post-13236391

I have three AKG products; K371, K553 mkII, and N40 (IEMs). I like all of them, but I'm not super, "I'm going to recommend this brand/product to everybody looking to buy". I do have headphones like that, where I'm almost a fanboy about - suggesting it to anybody that asks (looking at you HD6XXs). The K371s are at a great price point, but they've got some flaws that make me somehow both love and hate them. Build quality aside, I don't feel like the K553s are a $200 headphone. There's just so many great ~$200 options out there, and I feel like the K553s have a hard time competing. I love my N40s, but I had to do a couple fixes to get them (like putting foam eartips on and getting a 2.5mm balanced cable that I had to file down so it'd fit right). Paid $99 for those and I feel like that's a good price for them. However, they originally retailed for $400 which is absolutely ridiculous. The KZ ZS10 Pros have more detail, but not as good vocal and acoustic timbre at $50...

All of that to say, I'm not going to say that the AKG brand is great in and of itself. They have their products though that do a fine job, however. My understanding with AKG is that if you want an all around good headphone - comfortable, good build quality, great sound quality (sound stage, imaging, whole 9-yards), then you're going to have to spend (no-duh). Anything above the K700 model seems to have pretty decent reviews, but you're starting to look at ~$300; unless you get the K7XX from Drop.

Apr 23, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #5 of 15
I have three AKG products; K371, K553 mkII, and N40 (IEMs). I like all of them, but I'm not super, "I'm going to recommend this brand/product to everybody looking to buy". I do have headphones like that, where I'm almost a fanboy about - suggesting it to anybody that asks (looking at you HD6XXs). The K371s are at a great price point, but they've got some flaws that make me somehow both love and hate them. Build quality aside, I don't feel like the K553s are a $200 headphone. There's just so many great ~$200 options out there, and I feel like the K553s have a hard time competing. I love my N40s, but I had to do a couple fixes to get them (like putting foam eartips on and getting a 2.5mm balanced cable that I had to file down so it'd fit right). Paid $99 for those and I feel like that's a good price for them. However, they originally retailed for $400 which is absolutely ridiculous. The KZ ZS10 Pros have more detail, but not as good vocal and acoustic timbre at $50...

All of that to say, I'm not going to say that the AKG brand is great in and of itself. They have their products though that do a fine job, however. My understanding with AKG is that if you want an all around good headphone - comfortable, good build quality, great sound quality (sound stage, imaging, whole 9-yards), then you're going to have to spend (no-duh). Anything above the K700 model seems to have pretty decent reviews, but you're starting to look at ~$300; unless you get the K7XX from Drop.
What are some of your nits to pick with the 553’s? I was looking at their catalog and that looks like a good set of cans to start with. I try to go for a mid level product of any company to see what they can do, I avoid the cheaper stuff at first. What is the build quality like? What materials do they use? Are they bright? Neutral? Dark?

Apr 23, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #6 of 15
HD 25s are gonna be a lot tougher and last a lot longer than Grados. Every HD 25 part is available, they're completely rebuildable. And they have detachable cables.

But I think the Grados you bought are going to be very nice headphones.

Apr 23, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #7 of 15
HD 25s are gonna be a lot tougher and last a lot longer than Grados. Every HD 25 part is available, they're completely rebuildable. And they have detachable cables.

But I think the Grados you bought are going to be very nice headphones.
I agree. It's nearly impossible to break the HD25, and every part is easily replaceable if you do. The Grados don't have any swivel stops for the ear cups which may result in the wires twisting and breaking. I think this might be the most common cause of failure with them.

Apr 23, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 15
I agree. It's nearly impossible to break the HD25, and every part is easily replaceable if you do. The Grados don't have any swivel stops for the ear cups which may result in the wires twisting and breaking. I think this might be the most common cause of failure with them.
I’ve had Grado SR60’s back in the day (bout a decade ago) loved em. I had no issues other than the super thick cord and beefy plug. I’m still looking at the HD 25 Pluses but the lack of hardcore reviews and diehard fans for them concern me. I read no fewer than 50 pages of comments, reviews, and comparisons before I decided on the SR225e’s. I considered the 325’s because honestly the aluminum cups and design but the reviews said they can be bright, and that’s not what I loved my SR 60’s for. That and the headband and ear pads on my HD700s turned to goo after I busted them out for some quarantine listening (My Sony Z7’s which are just as old and stored right next to the 700’s were perfect) so I’m a little miffed at Sennheiser right now. My next Sennheisers might be HD600s. I liked my HD650s back in the day but I prefer the Z7’s for my dark cans.

Apr 23, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #9 of 15
I currently own the HD25 Plus and HD820, and have owned the HD600, HD650, and two HD800S-es.

Apr 23, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #10 of 15
I like the K553s, there's just not a whole lot of "wow" factor... Which is both a good and bad thing I suppose.

- Build Quality - they really are a well built pair of headphones. Headband is metal with a faux leather pad - not super thick, but still really good. Ear cups have a metal trim around the edge, a high density rubber/plastic covers must of it. The lifted housing is quite small, but has a metal plate over it. They adjust by a solid clicking mechanism.
- Comfort - Not great, but not horrible. The ear pads are just lacking, there's not much cushion and they don't make a good seal. I did order a much thicker pad from Brainwavz, hoping this would fix that (and maybe even improve sound quality), but they got stuck in China with everything going on.
- Sound Quality - Of all the headphones I own, I think the K553s produce the most neutral sound. I suspect, if I were to get better pads for them then the warmth of the tuning would more closely resemble the K371s which would be really nice. Comparing them to an open-back (which I really shouldn't do), the mids aren't as forward, but (again) I think that's because of their relatively neutral sound signature. Jazz does sound great on these though. I also rarely experience ear fatigue with them which is a plus.

All in all... Its not necessarily that I have a gripe with them per se, I'm just a little overwhelmed by the sound. Here's the thing though, I've got 5 pairs of headphones that I use (the K553s being one of them). All of them, with the exception of the K553s have their thing. Meze 99 Noirs - acoustic based stuff. Sennheiser HD6XXs - classical, movie scores - things that require a large sound stage with a lot of moving parts. Hifiman HE4XXs - Rock. Etc. Etc. The K553, even though I find them somewhat underwhelming, they do their job as an all arounder well.

Apr 23, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #11 of 15
I currently own the HD25 Plus and HD820, and have owned the HD600, HD650, and two HD800S-es.
I had the 800’s when they came out (there are pics in my gallery), I’m avoiding all higher end cans these days. The 800’s were WAY too picky, and I’m not thrilled with the 700’s either but EQ’d they’re ok. I had the Sony MDR-CD3000’s back in the day and they were solid gold with anything I plugged them into. So these days I don’t really want to spend more than $600 on cans, I’m more of a speaker guy.

Apr 24, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #12 of 15
I’m still looking at the HD 25 Pluses but the lack of hardcore reviews and diehard fans for them concern me.
There are a few long threads on the HD 25 here but most of its fame is as a DJ headphone. It is kind of a secret weapon outside of DJ/recording use. If you meant specifically the Plus variation, that is just Sennheiser marketing babble. There have been a few changes to the HD 25 but the current versions (aside from the Light which is a totally different headphone) they're just trim-levels of the headphone. Plus comes with a case and extra cables. Basic doesn't. And the plain HD 25 without Basic or Plus designation, no difference from Basic. All three are identical, only the accessories and boxes vary.

My next Sennheisers might be HD600s.

I haven't seen or heard the Romanian version but there is a reason the 600s are classics. They got a tremendous amount right with this headphones. But, you need a good amp, preferably OTL, to get the most out of them.

Apr 24, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #13 of 15
The Plus also comes with velour pads, though I'd recommend the Yaxi type b memory foam pads. I'd also recommend the "Uber Mod" from Custom Cans. Improves bass extension to a huge degree.

Apr 24, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #14 of 15
The Plus also comes with velour pads, though I'd recommend the Yaxi type b memory foam pads. I'd also recommend the "Uber Mod" from Custom Cans. Improves bass extension to a huge degree.
Tell me more, what’s their sound sig like?

Apr 26, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #15 of 15
There is a nice pad rolling video by customcans on youtube. Anyway there is a reason that almost every HD 25 came off the line with the fake leather pads :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back