~200$ DAC+Amp MY HEAD EXPLOADS!!!
May 6, 2012 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Gerbil

New Head-Fier
Hello people,
My headphones are a Grado SR80 and my favorite genre is progressive rock. I'm in the market for a new ~200$ DAC+Amp and there is "too much" choice right now!
I need both a DAC and an amp because I listen mostly from my computer and iphone, so I narrowed it down to 4 options:

AUDIO-GD NFB-12 / 12.1
UBER MUZIK TINY TUBE DAC
YULONG U100
MAVERICK AUDIO TUBEMAGIC D1

Now, I know that no serious comparison between all of them was done yet, and still:
Assuming all of them function well as DAC's, which one of them is the best headphone amp? Any other unit I should consider for the price? Should I be waiting for Fiio E15?

May 6, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 8
AFAIK, the NFB12 can't function as an amp, not with an analog source, since it doesn't have any analog inputs. A good alternative would be to get a Pure i20 dock so you can stream digital audio playing from the iPhone into the SPDIF inputs on the NFB12.

May 6, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #3 of 8
I worry less about the iphone... btw, can a fiio L7 work as well for connecting an iphone to the nfb-12?

anyway, i really listen almost exclusively from a computer when at home, so i need a dac/amp which will sound great from usb.

May 6, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 8
I picked up an Audioengine D1 because it has a DAC plus small headphone amp built in, has RCA and mini out, so it can drive PC amp or self-powered speakers as well 'phones. It's also quite small, no external PS, and easy to fit in laptop bag.

KP

May 6, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
I worry less about the iphone... btw, can a fiio L7 work as well for connecting an iphone to the nfb-12?

anyway, i really listen almost exclusively from a computer when at home, so i need a dac/amp which will sound great from usb.

The L7 wont work because

1) the NFB12 doesnt have analog inputs for the 3.5mm output
2) neither can it just get a digital stream out the mini-USB, because Apple devices need a special chip to allow that,except for the iPad which basically acts as a USB host like the computer
3) the L7 was designed for the dock of the E7 - it might not fit, or the pins don't align for the same function (for example, Sansa and Apple line out cables can be interchanged, but so would the Left and Right channels). If it did, then Fiio wouldn't need an E9i (for apple portable players) on top of the E9 (for the E7).

But if you can do without using your iPhone with it, at least til you get the i20, then I'd say it's worth reading up more on the NFB12.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back