$200 budget, BASS heavy IEM
Jan 11, 2015 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Strauss95

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, as the title says I'm looking for a "basshead" IEM with a budget of under $200. I currently have a pair of Vsonic GR07BE that I love for overall sound quality and balance, but I'm looking to add a pair of bass heavy IEM's to go with them. I like to listen to hip-hip, and for that I like the most bass I can get. I have a Fiio E12 to power them with. So far I've looked at the Astrio MG7, ATH CKS1000, and RHA T10i. I'm not really sure what IEM will offer me the most bass while still sounding okay for hip-hop genre music. Just looking for some opinions and suggestions, I've been searching for hours on here and my head is spinning!

FWIW I have a pair of Yamaha Pro 500's that I absolutely LOVE the sound of. I'm looking to get a similar sound signature but in an IEM. The Pro 500's absolutely pound on bass heavy tracks, and I love that about them. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #2 of 26
Like I already said, I do really like my GR07BE's and I haven't even finished burning them in so I'm sure they will only get better. I am just looking for another pair of IEM's that have more bass quantity to pair with them. I also had a pair of VSD3's that were pretty good. They had a bit more bass than the GR07BE's, but it wasn't a large enough difference to keep them. 

So I'm looking for a pair with more bass than the GR07BE's, yet still sound good overall. I'm not expecting to get an IEM with ton's of bass that still sound absolutely amazing at my price point. But I'd just like a little help here as to what models I should be considering.

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #3 of 26
And are these the correct Atrio MG7's that everyone refers to as having great bass?

http://www.amazon.com/Atrio-Future-Sonic-500-010-Technology/dp/B0077PDDKU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421085642&sr=8-1&keywords=atrio+mg7

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 26
For a basshead, based solely off of reviews, I would recommend the RHA T10s.

People complain about it having too much bass, but they probably listen to Etymotics that are pretty much bass anemic.

In addition to bass, you get stellar build quality and other stuff. Many reviews on it if you are interested.

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #7 of 26
I am fairly certain that those are not exactly the original ones (mg7), but the reviews suggest that the mg5s still possess excellent bass. I would be wary of counterfeits though, it is an old and moderately well known product with simple construction. But aside from that, should be excellent!

GL in ur search

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #9 of 26
For a basshead, based solely off of reviews, I would recommend the RHA T10s.

People complain about it having too much bass, but they probably listen to Etymotics that are pretty much bass anemic.

In addition to bass, you get stellar build quality and other stuff. Many reviews on it if you are interested.

You know that isn't entirely fair. I listen to a range of headphones from neutral to fun sigs. And I can tell you, with the bass filters on, the T10is really do have too much bass. I'd say the reference filters and treble filters they have more or less the right amount for a fun bassy headphone without overtaking the spectrum. 

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #10 of 26
You know that isn't entirely fair. I listen to a range of headphones from neutral to fun sigs. And I can tell you, with the bass filters on, the T10is really do have too much bass. I'd say the reference filters and treble filters they have more or less the right amount for a fun bassy headphone without overtaking the spectrum. 

Bass filters give it too much bass....not a valid point since you get the other 2 filters in the same package. Based off of reviews, I would assume treble and reference would provide the (imho) best sound, while bass filters would be for those times you wake up and have the irresistable urge to listen to some awesome bass heavy music like trap or other.

Solid quality bass with enough quantity is like meeting a hot, tanned 5'8" brunette at a club.

No bass and all detail is like meeting an 80 year old man at the club.

Opinions be opinions though! I am sure most people would agree that the bass filter is too much, but each person never truly knows until they try. Bass heavy headphones to some might be lacking to others. I am rambling....darn

Jan 14, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #11 of 26
Check Jokers review on the FX301, cheap but the bass goes deep. I also have the Fx3x even bassier, imo better than the FX301 and better treble. Thery are like the Sony Xb500 in iems, tons of bass and cheap.

Jan 14, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #12 of 26
Bass filters give it too much bass....not a valid point since you get the other 2 filters in the same package. Based off of reviews, I would assume treble and reference would provide the (imho) best sound, while bass filters would be for those times you wake up and have the irresistable urge to listen to some awesome bass heavy music like trap or other.

Solid quality bass with enough quantity is like meeting a hot, tanned 5'8" brunette at a club.

No bass and all detail is like meeting an 80 year old man at the club.

Opinions be opinions though! I am sure most people would agree that the bass filter is too much, but each person never truly knows until they try. Bass heavy headphones to some might be lacking to others. I am rambling....darn

My point was that you based your opinion off of just reviews rather than listening to them first hand. They really do have a lot of bass, even with the reference and treble filters. It is easy to see how one could consider that 'too much.' 

Also, I really wouldn't call the T10is "Solid quality bass" Best bass extension from an IEM? Yes, quality? Debatable. The bass for me was entirely too slow. I'd get them for very specific genre, like EDM. Anything that requires nuanced or fast bass really needs a different headphone. The T10is are fantastic headphones, Good (not great) sound, top notch build, and fairly impressive sound stage.

Would I recommend these to someone looking for a bass heavy IEM at the $200 price point? Definitely. But they are not the be all end all of bass quality, quite the opposite. 

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #14 of 26
Just an update for anyone that comes across this thread in the future, I ended up buying the T10i's. Unfortunately out of the box the headphones were defective. The right side apparently had a cable issue. Extremely bad crackling sound which would get worse when I moved the cable. So I packaged them up and sent them back for a refund. I could have got a replacement pair, but it left a sour taste in my mouth so I went with something else. I ended up finding a great deal on a pair of authentic IE80's from the classifieds which are now on their way. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #15 of 26
How are the ie80's working out? I recently got the JVC fx-8350 from the forums for around 200, and they have the best bass I have experienced thus far on an iem. They are almost exclusively highly reviewed. Check them out if you get a chance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back