$200 A900 or $200 5.1 Channel Speaker System?
Jul 24, 2004 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Bazooka

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Although i have A900's on order (Thanks to Lindrone)
wink.gif
,I am just a bit curious,i know i will Totally Fall In LOVE with my A900's,but just for my knowledge i wanted to ask u guys this question.

Now which setup will provide more detail?I will most probably be playing Doom 3 (An Upcoming Horror Game)
smily_headphones1.gif
,Now since i've never any High-End headphones before,only $10 ones :S,hence my ears are untrained as u may call it,So will i be enjoying the game on speakers? or on my A900's?

Jul 24, 2004 at 7:25 AM Post #2 of 21
hard to say.....I'd think that if you cant really tell then both of those would work well for gaming. But since you got the A900's, now you're on your way to becomming one of us. Just listen to lots of music and before you know it......your wallet will be gone just like that....poof
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2004 at 8:36 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bazooka
Hi,

Although i have A900's on order (Thanks to Lindrone)
wink.gif
,I am just a bit curious,i know i will Totally Fall In LOVE with my A900's,but just for my knowledge i wanted to ask u guys this question.

Now which setup will provide more detail?I will most probably be playing Doom 3 (An Upcoming Horror Game)
smily_headphones1.gif
,Now since i've never any High-End headphones before,only $10 ones :S,hence my ears are untrained as u may call it,So will i be enjoying the game on speakers? or on my A900's?

well,
I think you two choices are two very different ways of dealing with sound.

actual surrond sound, will give you a more in the game feeling, like a movie.
youll, have to deal with wiring all the speakers and placement.
at night or if you have parents/neighbors you must turn the speakers down.
unless you watch movies on the pc youll be limited to actual use you can get out of the setup

headphones,
basic two channel, not much in surround.
less to wire up and setup, just throw them on your head.
you can crank them at anytime and still have great 2 channel.
music wise, you couldnt do better. so the cans have another easy use

your thoughts?

Jul 24, 2004 at 10:33 AM Post #5 of 21
I wouldn't dismiss the headphones just yet - Doom 3 has its own sound engine, which might include some type of headphone mode. We'll know soon enough.

In addition, I find that headphones provide a more engrossing experience in games that rely on suspence.

Jul 24, 2004 at 11:23 AM Post #7 of 21
I disagree with the majority here.

In the way of detail, headphones beat speakers anyday. Binaural recordings also kick the living daylights out of surround sound. 5.1 is just glorified 2 channel, designed to increase the profits of Dolby and others.

Most all games have very good reverb, and I think it would be easier to game with the A900s than with the 5.1 speakers, especially if you have a lot of background noise to contend with or need the privacy.

Jul 24, 2004 at 11:25 AM Post #8 of 21
If you have no problems turning up the volume and have no problems siting the speakers properly, for exclusively gaming I'd choose the speakers. For anything else, I'll choose phones.

Jul 24, 2004 at 11:27 AM Post #9 of 21
I enjoy my 5.1 setup in my PC, but the A900 wins them easily in every aspect, they are better for gaming and for music. The 5.1 is surround mode that will help you feel inside the game, but not much help into been able to point where sounds are coming, instead headphones are like magic, they are sharper, and they help you a lot in positioning. I would take the A900 over any $200 MM setup.

Jul 24, 2004 at 2:10 PM Post #11 of 21
Can't say that I'm the authority, but headphones are the best gaming sound system of all time. They are simple and clean, unlike an average $200 sound system.

I use headphones exclusively - they are so much more precise, and it really makes a difference to the way I play.

Jul 24, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #12 of 21
A lot of gamers even prefer crappy headphones to their speaker systems during competitive gaming. The 3d sound cues are just much better in a closer and more controlled environment. The 3d sound cues you can get from speakers has a lot to do with their placement, where headphones you just don't have to worry about it.

I used to have crappy headphones just for playing games... and speakers for everything else. Man.. I don't even use my speakers anymore these days.

Jul 24, 2004 at 5:39 PM Post #13 of 21
Serious gamers will always use headphones over speakers- it may be less fun, but it gives much more precise stereo imaging. With headphones, you can zero in on the exact angle where the sound is coming from, whereas speakers sound a bit more diffuse.

Jul 24, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #14 of 21
The question really comes down to placement. If you're like me, and live with music playing 24/7, then you'll want speakers, because I don't like having headphones on all the time; speakers just give me freedom. That said, if you're going to be using them almost exclusively when you're sitting at your desk playing, then you'll get more out of the headphones. And back when I still played Counter-Strike (like, 2 years ago when it was still fun), I always did better with headphones.

Jul 24, 2004 at 6:17 PM Post #15 of 21
$200 won't guy you a very good 5.1 system, I can tell you that right off the bat. Also, I think a headphone plugged into a good soundcard with EAX3.0 support and such does a good job, and you still have that wonderful sound for music listening! Plus, there's the privacy. I'd go with the A900's, but don't tell my PM4.1's that.

If you had $400 I'd tell you to buy a Promedia 5.1 Ultra for sure, though.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back