200-300 dollar cans for alternative rock.
Sep 12, 2011 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 118

Guldkrull

Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for a pair of cans for about the price of 200-300dollares, and since I basically can not get grados in Sweden, they are pretty much not an option.

MUSIC: I would say alternative rock, grunge, metal and pop. Groups like: Pearl Jam, Alter Bridge, Queens of the Stone Age, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Coldplay, U2, Nickleback, Linkin Park, System of a Down, ETC.

SOURCE: They will be plugged to my computer and I will probably buy a seperate sound card like the Asus Essence STX.

PURPOSE: I would like them to the deliver the best kind of sound for the music I like, but if they also are good for casual gaming and movie watching, that certainly does not hurt but good for music is my absolute priority.

I currently own a pair of Sennheiser IE8 IEM, and I absolutely love the sound they deliver, so cans with a similar sound signatures would be excellent. I also previously owned the Klipsch Custom 3 but since the S-sounds it delivered was so piercing it felt like knifes stabbed into my brain and it's bass was too light, I had to give them away. So I would love the bass on the cans to not be weak and underpowered but rather adequate and punchy.

I'm not interested in portable cans, like the HD25, and I would like them to be OVER-ear and not ON-ear. Whether the cans is open or closed does not matter to me, since no one will be disturbed if they leak a lot of sound so recommend whatever should sound best for me.

Thank you very much in advance!
/Guld

Sep 12, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #2 of 118
Shure 940

Grado sound, comfortable, over ear, wide soundstage

Sep 12, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #3 of 118
Sounds nice, I'll be sure to check them up, thanks for the advice!

I just saw the recommendation thread so I guess this thread was unecessary. Is there any way I can delete this one?

Sep 12, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #4 of 118
No, just use this right now since it's already up

Sep 12, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #6 of 118
Grado highs can sometimes be considered piercing by some. If you want to check out the Grado sound though, have a look at Alessandro headphones. They're essentially Grado's, but slightly tweaked and re-badged as Alessandro (all authorised of course - it's not illegitimate
smile.gif
). They ship outside of the US too.

Having heard IE8's, and going by peoples descriptions of the SRH940's, I wouldn't consider them to have the same bass quantity. IE8's are quite bassy imo, and people tend to consider the 940's either slightly "bass light" or "bass neutral". Keep in mind terms like those have different meanings to different people, but I think it's pretty safe to say IE8's would provide more bass quantity.

EDIT: Just realised you want circum-aural headphones. Alessandro's/Grado's tend to be supra-aural headphones when stock AFAIK. A couple of Grado's may be circum-aural.

Sep 12, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #8 of 118

Quote:
Grado highs can sometimes be considered piercing by some. If you want to check out the Grado sound though, have a look at Alessandro headphones. They're essentially Grado's, but slightly tweaked and re-badged as Alessandro (all authorised of course - it's not illegitimate
smile.gif
). They ship outside of the US too.

Having heard IE8's, and going by peoples descriptions of the SRH940's, I wouldn't consider them to have the same bass quantity. IE8's are quite bassy imo, and people tend to consider the 940's either slightly "bass light" or "bass neutral". Keep in mind terms like those have different meanings to different people, but I think it's pretty safe to say IE8's would provide more bass quantity.

EDIT: Just realised you want circum-aural headphones. Alessandro's/Grado's tend to be supra-aural headphones when stock AFAIK. A couple of Grado's may be circum-aural.

Okey, thanks for your input, I would certainly not want to buy a pair that lack in bass. It's not that I want it exaggerated, just not weak-ish. I would really like to check out some grados, but they are quite hard to come by in Sweden, especially circum-aural models.

Quote:

Skullcandy G.I.

At risk of being rude: isn't Skullcandy piss? Especially compared to cans in my upper budget?

Sep 12, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #9 of 118

Quote:
At risk of being rude: isn't Skullcandy piss? Especially compared to cans in my upper budget?

Nej, de är skitbra!!!

Jag skämtar förstås, men G.I. är bästa modellen, runt 100 dollar tror jag.

Jag lyssnar på mkt alternativ rock själv, jag rekommenderar att du kör med en open-air Audio Technica, t.ex. AD700, AD900, AD1000.

Sony ZX700 och MDR-7520 är rätt grym också, eller Beyerdynamic DT 770 osv.... och sist men inte minst kan du fundera på custom IEM's som UM Aero, UM Mage.

Sep 12, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #10 of 118

Quote:

Nej, de är skitbra!!!

Jag skämtar förstås, men G.I. är bästa modellen, runt 100 dollar tror jag.

Jag lyssnar på mkt alternativ rock själv, jag rekommenderar att du kör med en open-air Audio Technica, t.ex. AD700, AD900, AD1000.

Sony ZX700 och MDR-7520 är rätt grym också, eller Beyerdynamic DT 770 osv.... och sist men inte minst kan du fundera på custom IEM's som UM Aero, UM Mage.

Haha, tänkte väl!

Vilka av dessa lurar skulle du köpa om du var i min situation? :)

Jag har kollat på DT 770 och även DT 880, vet du möjligtvis hur stor skillnaden är mellan dessa två?

Känns lite roligare att prova ett par lurar istället för IEMs då jag redan har det. Jag har även fått för mig att lurar låter "roligare" än vad IEMs gör då de är större, rätta mig om jag har fel.

Sep 12, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #11 of 118

Quote:
Haha, tänkte väl!

Vilka av dessa lurar skulle du köpa om du var i min situation? :)

Jag har kollat på DT 770 och även DT 880, vet du möjligtvis hur stor skillnaden är mellan dessa två?

Känns lite roligare att prova ett par lurar istället för IEMs då jag redan har det. Jag har även fått för mig att lurar låter "roligare" än vad IEMs gör då de är större, rätta mig om jag har fel.

Stora skillnaden är att IEM: s är roligare eftersom de är mycket mer "framåt" dem mest hörlurar. För det är du tittar på Grado. Beyer är udda eftersom DT880: s är mer neutral medan DT990 och DT770 är balanserade

Sep 12, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #12 of 118

Haha kolla BotByte joinar oss också.

Jag kan inte skillnaden mellan Beyers.

Lurar är inte roligare en IEM's, jag tycker IEM's är roligare, om man hittar rätt modell, i din situation skulle jag gå för en IEM.

För lurar skulle jag gå för Audio Technica AD700 från amazon.com, billig och bra, och sen satsa rakt på topp-modellen AD2000 senare om du gillar AD700

I'm not sure how punchy bass you want, but if you're interested in something really bass heavy you could check out the Sony XB1000.  In my opinion the level of bass is just something we get used to, and slightly bass light headphones are fine, as long as they're not really bass light.

Sep 12, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #14 of 118

Quote:

Stora skillnaden är att IEM: s är roligare eftersom de är mycket mer "framåt" dem mest hörlurar. För det är du tittar på Grado. Beyer är udda eftersom DT880: s är mer neutral medan DT990 och DT770 är balanserade

Vilken av Beyer-modellerna borde jag föredra då?

Quote:

Haha kolla BotByte joinar oss också.

Jag kan inte skillnaden mellan Beyers.

Lurar är inte roligare en IEM's, jag tycker IEM's är roligare, om man hittar rätt modell, i din situation skulle jag gå för en IEM.

För lurar skulle jag gå för Audio Technica AD700 från amazon.com, billig och bra, och sen satsa rakt på topp-modellen AD2000 senare om du gillar AD700

I'm not sure how punchy bass you want, but if you're interested in something really bass heavy you could check out the Sony XB1000.  In my opinion the level of bass is just something we get used to, and slightly bass light headphones are fine, as long as they're not really bass light.

So what is the advantages of headphones over IEM then? Min världsbild rubbas! xD

AD700 var ju sjukt billiga, definitivt en contender! Är de lika bra som lurar kring 2000kr?

Quote:
Kiteki, how'd you know he was Swedish? 
Botbyte you speak Swedish too?!

Hadelse. 

My nickname kind of reveals it! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back