20% Off Select Hi-res Rock Titles - Led Zeppelin on HDtracks June 3rd
Jun 1, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #16 of 29
You would only if the mastering is better. Higher than Cd sampling rate is mostly snake oil. Interesting article:

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

"[...] [COLOR=333333]the SACD version of a recording [/COLOR][COLOR=333333]can[/COLOR][COLOR=333333] sound substantially better than the CD release. It's not because of increased sample rate or depth but because the SACD used a higher-quality master. When bounced to a CD-R, the SACD version still sounds as good as the original SACD and better than the CD release because the original audio used to make the SACD was better. Good production and mastering obviously contribute to the final quality of the music [...][/COLOR]"

Man. At this point if I had a nickel for every time someone links to Monty Montgomery and one of his xiph.org posts in a discussion of higher-resolution digital auio, I'd be starting to look at some serious money. The phrase "snake oil" is often included. The tone is invariably one of terse, absolute certainty mixed with pity for the deluded and/or a hint of withering contempt. Sheer trolling is sometimes the clear intent. Posting this in a thread intended to enthuse about new offerings from HDtracks just seems sorta mean to me.

It's possible to be a skeptic and an objectivist and still be kind, you know.

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #17 of 29

I'm curious... maybe I am misunderstanding your post, but why you would buy HDtracks if you end up converting  them to mp3's ?

For me, a well encoded mp3 is audibly transparent to a CD or HD track at 24/96 with my gear, so I've got all my music streaming in mp3 encoded with lame at vbr 0 quality.  That said, I can still appreciate well mastered music, and I'm hoping that these LZ albums are superior to the 1994 masters.  I normally don't purchase an HD track over a cheaper version if both came from the same master.   Though sometimes the convenience and immediate availabilty can win me over if an equivalent CD is out of stock or I can't verify which version might get sent.

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #18 of 29
I saw the Led Zeppelin High Res Downloads (I-III) on a different site, they are available since 30.5.2014 there and its mentioned that they are the Jimmy Page Remasters and are available in a standart and deluxe edition. Not sure what HD Tracks will offer but I assume its the same source.

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #19 of 29
  I saw the Led Zeppelin High Res Downloads (I-III) on a different site, they are available since 30.5.2014 there and its mentioned that they are the Jimmy Page Remasters and are available in a standart and deluxe edition. Not sure what HD Tracks will offer but I assume its the same source.

Can you PM me the site? I've already seen pirate copies on the internet (including CD and LP rips) and it's tempting me :p.

Jun 1, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #20 of 29
usually HD tracks offers the best price, especially with their offers, i would wait and then decide where to buy.

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #21 of 29
You would only if the mastering is better. Higher than Cd sampling rate is mostly snake oil. Interesting article:

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

"[...] the SACD version of a recording can sound substantially better than the CD release. It's not because of increased sample rate or depth but because the SACD used a higher-quality master. When bounced to a CD-R, the SACD version still sounds as good as the original SACD and better than the CD release because the original audio used to make the SACD was better. Good production and mastering obviously contribute to the final quality of the music [...]"

HalSF:   Man. At this point if I had a nickel for every time someone links to Monty Montgomery and one of his xiph.org posts in a discussion of higher-resolution digital auio, I'd be starting to look at some serious money. The phrase "snake oil" is often included. The tone is invariably one of terse, absolute certainty mixed with pity for the deluded and/or a hint of withering contempt. Sheer trolling is sometimes the clear intent. Posting this in a thread intended to enthuse about new offerings from HDtracks just seems sorta mean to me.

It's possible to be a skeptic and an objectivist and still be kind, you know.

-------
I'm still new to Head-Fi and computer audio. When I had to sell off all my audiophile gear 20yrs ago, and still today, the level of quality that can be presented from CD (16/44) through high end gear astounds me.      I have only heard hires audio through high-end gear a couple of times, and haven't done objective comparisons, but I really liked what I heard !    I may be one of the crazies, sinceI believe I can discern difference in some cables - even while many argue this is a figment of my imagination.

I don't want to start flame wars, but before I buy my first DAC (for 24 or 32bit playback), and spend a bunch of money on HDtracks, I'd like to understand this a bit better.      Is there another Head-Fi forum where this is debated?   On the other hand, perhaps it doesn't matter if its imagined or real - but I have yet to have the kind of emotional, transcendent experience with an mp3 as with uncompressed material.  so I was hoping that 24/96 +  might tend to enhance one's experience (given all the other variables are the same). 

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #22 of 29
  If the remastered Led Zeppelin albums are of better quality than the last Jimmy Page masters, I might be interested.  That is all I care about, as any FLAC file I purchase will just be converted to a 16/44.1 lame-encoded mp3 to play on my systems.  If heavily compressed tracks with blaring lead guitars are going to be the result of Page's bias, then these will just be expensive, newly remastered crap.

From Amazon.com's description:

With the 2014 release of deluxe editions of Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin II, & Led Zeppelin III, the band will launch an extensive reissue program of all nine of its studio albums in chronological order, each remastered by guitarist and producer Jimmy Page.

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #23 of 29
Wow just picked up a few of these albums (I & II) from the bay of pirates in 24/96, they are definately better than my lossless CD rips, need to pick up III next.

Jun 2, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #24 of 29
Man. At this point if I had a nickel for every time someone links to Monty Montgomery and one of his xiph.org posts in a discussion of higher-resolution digital auio, I'd be starting to look at some serious money. The phrase "snake oil" is often included. The tone is invariably one of terse, absolute certainty mixed with pity for the deluded and/or a hint of withering contempt. Sheer trolling is sometimes the clear intent. Posting this in a thread intended to enthuse about new offerings from HDtracks just seems sorta mean to me.

..And your point is? 

Apologies if by posting a link to an interesting article which you happen to have already read I have upset you. Last time I checked you were not the only contributor to this forum. Maybe there are people who might find the article relevant, what do you think?

As for my tone, I am not a native speaker and I am not sure I can convey the nuances you accuse me of. 

Also, in your words "Posting this in a thread intended to enthuse about new offerings from HDtracks just seems sorta mean to me."

So let me understand, you're basically saying you have single-handedly defined the purpose of this thread, which is to "enthuse". I can't say I've seen this declaration of "intention" etched anywhere in the thread headers. 

You haven't contributed any relevant point to the conversation. You have just posted a little rant complete with snide remarks about the link I posted and my way of phrasing my point. I say you are the troll. Or maybe you're simply shilling for this company. Kind regards.

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #25 of 29

..And your point is? 

Apologies if by posting a link to an interesting article which you happen to have already read I have upset you. Last time I checked you were not the only contributor to this forum. Maybe there are people who might find the article relevant, what do you think?

You're fine.  Personally, I was more curious as to whether these new tracks are newly remastered.

I think his (and my) frustration is that every single thread, on every single audio-related forum on the inner-tubes that broaches the topic of high-res audio quickly ends up with a reference to the xiph.org post.  Which is then followed by that same progression of arguments, both objectivist ("human hearing... and... look at the graphs ...and... double-blind tests!") vs. subjectivist ("psycho acoustics... and... we don't know what we don't know...!").

It's tiring, that's all; don't take it personally.

Jun 3, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #26 of 29

I like buying cds and having a physical copy of the music I buy and then rip it to my computer, but are these downloads higher-fi than listening to the cd?, Would I even notice a difference?

Personally, I don't believe a higher resolution or sampling rate is going to make a noticeable difference (I'll believe it when I hear it), but it isn't just about that. HDtracks also remasters a lot of the titles they release (but not always). In this case, there is going to be a difference to some extent. In some cases, the difference is like night and day. So resolution and sampling rate aside, you might prefer the masters HDtracks offer.

The Led Zeppelin were remastered by Jimmy Page

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #28 of 29
The server is SLOOOOW with the new Led Zep releases. I can't wait to hear them but it's going to be a while...

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #29 of 29
Well, I caved and downloaded LZ I.  I'd previously been listening to the Complete Led Zeppelin that I bought on iTunes a number of years ago and I'm pleased with new version.

Ignoring the HD vs. CD debate, the AAC versions simply have no sound stage with HD 650s.

I've been A/B'ing a 20 second segment from the 1st track; on the AAC version, Bonzo's drums seems to just spill out of the left 'phone, while the King of Slop's* guitar is firmly in the right phone.  With the HDTracks version, the instruments actually switch sides on the same segment, but sort of image across to the other side, if that makes sense.  In other words, nice sound staging, relative to what you get with good imaging headphones like the Senn HD 650.

I am very anxious to hear these tracks with speakers... loud.

*King of Slop - a term a guitarist friend of mine used about 30 years ago to refer to Jimmy Page 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back