20 Headphones Recommendation list for Bigheads !
Mar 11, 2018 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

MrOTL

Head-Fier
Friends, Big-heads, Makers, lend me your ears.
I come to share the lists, not to blame makers.

I am Bigheadfiler (Big-head + Head-fi + -er) !

Let me show the 20 headphones recommendation list for Big-Heads. This list is come from my 10 years experiences. All headphones below are currently on market. (March, 2018)

I will only talk about how fit on your head, not sound-signature. If you want other details, search in Head-fi or Google them. There are 3 rating gages for Big-Head.

‘Yoda Gage’ is a type of measurements which talk about how much awful appearance if you have. (Probably you already don’t care… ) (These will be just my subjective opinion. So, please think them casual and don’t be serious.)

drR0BN2Q.png
why me!!

‘B Gage’ is about how much feel comfort size (Standard: New Era baseball cap 8” number size; 63.5cm).

‘HeadLock Power’ shows how much headaches are aggravated by tightening from the headphones.

JD-01-128.png
hahaha..

Well… Let’s take a look!!!

1. Fostex T50rp mk 3(2)

If you are a really Big Big-Head guy and just cannot find any headphone fit on, this one can be the best solution. This thing is fitting on my head, even wearing a cap. It has nicely comfortable and big leather ear-pads on, and extremely long head-band (I am still curious about who made for…). If this thing is not fitting on you and have super-power, please go ahead to torture makers and make them produce bigger size headphone. If not, just give up finding headphone gears and go grab some earphones or speakers.

@MassDrop version is little smaller size than T50rp mk3(still great tho.).

Yoda Gage: ◼◼◼◼◻ (Massdrop ver. is ◼◼◻◻◻)
B Gage: ◼◼◼◼◼ + ◼ (Not enough??? Maybe not…)
Head-Lock Power: ◻◻◻◻◻ (What a savior)

Massdrop version’s Yoda Gage: ◼◼◻◻◻ (Nice!)

2. Stax Lambda Series

If you are interested in electrostatic driver headphone, Stax headphone will be a good partner. Their ear-pads are kind of stiff texture feeling and easy to be corroded, but still good for fitting on your head. They give a big benefit to especially big-heads, because you can feel more weighty and textured feeling(harmonics) in bass by pressing evenly into ears and ear-pads.

Yoda Gage: ◼◼◼◼◼ + ◼ (Just look at the mirror.)
B Gage: ◼◼◼◼◻ (Great sound for Big-Heads!)
Head-Lock Power: ◼◼◻◻◻ (Depends on how big you are)

3. Sennheiser HD600 (650) (6XX)

They have great sound feature and details (probably everyone knows). And also big size head-band. One thing you need to remember has… Very strong Head-Lock Power when getting new. The power is like Chuck Norris comes forward to you and tried to crunch your head. If you want to make it decrease the ridiculous power faster, get a ‘Ohms’ shape headphone stand and put it on for a week for burn-in(?!??) ear-pads lol.

Yoda Gage: ◼◼◼◼◻ (If Sennheiser lover, probably looks better.)
B Gage: ◼◼◼◼◻ (Size is good enough.)
Head-Lock Power: ◼◼◼◼◼ (Need for Burn-in(?) Ear-Pads.)

4. Sennheiser HD800(S)

Yep. Its sound is very well known and tricky matching system to audiophiles. Its ear-cups are big enough to cover almost everyone’s ears. Also, it has big size too.. One thing remember is.. If you are extremly long shape head with lower position ears, possibly not fit your head (I am one of them… haaah…). I want to listen to it with proper sweet-spot of my head. Sennheiser… I hope HD820 is not…

Yoda Gage: ◼◼◼◼◼ (I will not say anything to you..)
B Gage: ◼◼◼◼◻ (Probably fit on you… but I am not hahaha…!!)
Head-Lock Power: ◼◼◼◼◻ (Need burn-in?!!)

5. Mr.Speakers Ether Flow series

If you have stationary systems and want to get a magnetic-planer headphone, Mr.speakers Ether Flow series is one of the best solutions for Big-head. Among magnetic-planer headphones, these have big headband size. The insides of ear-pads have little bit small space, so it is going to be uncomfortable if you have big ears. If your ears insert into its ear-pads really well, will be awesomely comfortable. Not that strong head-rock power. A little bit heavier than normal full-size headphone, that possibly makes give you pressure on the crown of your head.

Yoda Gage: ◼◼◼◼◻ (Seems double time big head)
B Gage: ◼◼◼◼◻ (Good Enough!)
Head-Lock Power: ◻◻◻◻◻ (almost none)

6. Mr.Speakers Aeon

Small housing size, light weight, seems pretty awesome look. Good feeling on ear-pads. Slightly smaller size than Ether series, but still big enough to wear. If you like its sound-signature.. Go ahead! And Get one!

Yoda Gage: ◼◼◻◻◻ (Wow! You can bring it for outdoor!)
B Gage: ◼◼◼◼◼ (Great)
Head-Lock Power: ◼◻◻◻◻ (Slightly)

7. Audeze LCD series

World class big size headband, good texture feeling and big size ear-pads. It has massive big size housing.. But when you wear them, you seem to have triple times bigger head. (I believe you really don’t care about how your looks.) Only thing what I concern is.. heavy weight. Boom Done.

Yoda Gage: ◼◼◼◼◻ (Design is awesome.. but looks 3 heads lol)
B Gage: ◼◼◻◻◻ (Everything is great… but Neck breaker Ugggh)
Head-Lock Power: ◻◻◻◻◻ (None!)

8. Focal Utopia

It has luxury looks. Also, thanks to its flat shape, you won’t seem not really over-sized head. It has enough big size head-band (almost same size with HD600) to everyone wear. However, if big width size head, will feel little bit tighten by slightly stiff ear-pads.

Yoda Gage: ◼◼◻◻◻ (Good enough, but not for outdoors.)
B Gage: ◼◼◼◼◻ (Good size, comfort)
Head-Lock Power: ◼◼◻◻◻ (Just little)

9. Sony MDR-1A

Perfect for wearing in outdoor. Enough size, smooth ear-pads feeling for any head-shapes, light weight. Only care is.. about its sound preference.

Yoda Gage: ◻◻◻◻◻ (Fineness good to wear!)
B Gage: ◼◼◼◼◼ (Awesome)
Head-Lock Power: ◻◻◻◻◻ (Great)

10. Sony MDR-1000X (mk2)

Probably.. this is only one, has Bluetooth and Noise-cancelling feature for big-heads. Very comfortable to wear and good size… only care about is.. its sound-quality (because it is wireless) and looks double times bigger head. lol

Yoda Gage: ◼◼◼◼◻ (Don’t expect! It is the only solution!)
B Gage: ◼◼◼◼◼ (Just Great)
Head-Lock Power: ◼◻◻◻◻ (Very Slightly)

11. Sony MDR-Z1R WW2

Smoothly textured ear-pads, big size headband for anyone, not that strong head-lock power. (It can give you little pressure from side-to-side, because of its heavy weight. But, because its convex-shape, you will be just like Yoda. Tada!

Yoda Gage: ◼◼◼◼◼ (Congrats! Master!)
B Gage: ◼◼◼◼◼ (Good to wear)
Head-Lock Power: ◼◻◻◻◻

12. Abyss AB-1266

Greatly big size. It probably fit everyone (Especially side-to-side big heads). And…Looks? It is okay.. Its heavy weight and angular shape, feel like putting hard-boards on your head.

Yoda Gage: Omitted.
B Gage: ◼◼◼◻◻ (It is Okay)
Head-Lock Power: ◻◻◻◻◻ (Zero)

13. Hifiman HE400

Full-size head gear. Everything is great about size. If long length of head, could be small for you. Be care about it.

Yoda Gage: ◼◼◻◻◻ (Normal)
B Gage: ◼◼◼◼◻ (Good enough)
Head-Lock Power: ◼◼◻◻◻ (It has little)

14. Hifiman HE1000(v2)

Extremely long head-band. Greatly light weight even with Magnetic-planer. Its design is pretty awesome, but not that awesome to show when wear.

Yoda Gage: ◼◼◼◻◻ (Not that awesome)
B Gage: ◼◼◼◼◻ (Good)
Head-Lock Power: ◼◻◻◻◻ (little)

15. Grado iGrado (eGrado)

The only solution for using Grado head gears without modifying. Unless the width of the head is extremely big, will fit on you. However, ear-hanger is too sharp, so it can give little sore. Yeah… Grado guys! I love your gears. So! Please make headphones bigger next time!

Yoda Gage: ◼◼◻◻◻ (Fine.)
B Gage: ◼◻◻◻◻ (It hurts!)
Head-Lock Power: ◼◻◻◻◻ (little)

16. KOSS KSC-75 (35)

One of the best solutions for getting entry-leveled price gears. Its left and right are completely separated and do not give any effect for your head-size. Only care about is its design… (35 is black so it is fine to wear) (35 is probably not that comfortable because of sharp ear-hangers!)

Yoda Gage: ◼◼◼◼◼ (35 is ◼◼◻◻◻)
B Gage: ◼◼◼◼◼ (35 is ◼◼◼◻◻)
Head-Lock Power: ◻◻◻◻◻ (Possible?)

17. Audioquest Nighthawk(Owl)

Just slightly shorter head-band than HD600 has. But, it still has great size. Also, its ear-pads are soft and big enough. Its design is very unique, so there will be distinct likes and dislikes.

Yoda Gage: Have no idea. I think it is good for me.
B Gage: ◼◼◼◼◼ (Comfortable)
Head-Lock Power: ◼◻◻◻◻ (Depends on width)

18. Ultrasone Signature Pro (DJ)

Its shape is like very normal head gears and its fitting is not that bad. Depends on your head width, there will be some Head-Lock Power on it. Well. It looks not really bad. At least, your head looks not big when wearing it. But not gorgeous or fancy as its price.

Yoda Gage: ◼◼◻◻◻ (Not ugly)
B Gage: ◼◼◼◻◻ (Good)
Head-Lock Power: ◼◼◼◻◻ (Has some power)

19. FinalAudioDesign Sonorous VI(X)

Depends on the product name, their weight is different. But still, both have a heavy pressure feeling on heads because made of massive metal materials. Beside em, everything fine for wearing. Big and smooth textured ear-pads and head-band. They are Full-size.. So, enough size to wear.

Yoda Gage: ◼◼◼◼◻ (Double time bigger. Yeah!)
B Gage: ◼◼◼◻◻ (Heavy!!)
Head-Lock Power: ◼◼◻◻◻ (Because of weight it has some.)

20. Sennheiser Orpheus mk2

Awesome. Boom. Done.

Yoda Gage: Omitted
B Gage: Omitted
Head-Lock Power: Omitted

Thank you for reading this list.

I hope this list gives some help to you guys.

If you have great experience about, please share under this post.

And… Makers!

I will not say who you are.
I know hard to do make for every need.

But. Please remember.
In this earth, there are some people
want to listen great quality sound by head gears in good price.

Please make bigger size option for us.

Give us a chance to wear and enjoy your great sound!

Friends, Big-heads, Makers,
Power to the Big-heads!

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back