20/11/2010 Toronto Head-fi Meet Impressions
Nov 25, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #24 of 28

The New York deal was a CONVENTION, NOT a Meet as we had.  I don't imagine that the handful of audiophile friends that got together at Pavels place had the funds to bring in the big players like Beyerdynamic, Ray Samuels Audio, JH Audio, Red Wine Audio and HeadDirect to change the dynamics from a friendly little meet to a crass commercialized and full-blown professional convention with all of the benefits, rewards and huge associated costs.  I'd sure like to get to a convention obne day, and can only hope that Head-Fi can bring one of their annual conventions Toronto way.
But in the meantime, I've sure had a great time over the past couple of years attending local meets put on by Punkaroo, Canuck 57 and FallenAngel - keep 'em comin.  : ) 
Quote:
It really was great but, man, did anyone look at the New York meet impressions thread? That was a real convention !

Nov 27, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #25 of 28
Oh yea, no doubt the Toronto meet was a great success, I was just shocked by the photos of the new york convention on the same day. 'n hey, I bet the new york met didn't have the Jades to try out so HA to them. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 28, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:
The New York deal was a CONVENTION, NOT a Meet as we had.  I don't imagine that the handful of audiophile friends that got together at Pavels place had the funds to bring in the big players like Beyerdynamic, Ray Samuels Audio, JH Audio, Red Wine Audio and HeadDirect to change the dynamics from a friendly little meet to a crass commercialized and full-blown professional convention with all of the benefits, rewards and huge associated costs.  I'd sure like to get to a convention obne day, and can only hope that Head-Fi can bring one of their annual conventions Toronto way. But in the meantime, I've sure had a great time over the past couple of years attending local meets put on by Punkaroo, Canuck 57 and FallenAngel - keep 'em comin.  : )

Allow me to clear up what looks like a misconception: it does not take any amount of money to ask an MOT/vendor to attend a meet, and at most of the local/regional meets in the USA, vendors don't typically pay to attend either (unless they're traveling of course, which has its own costs). The only "commercial" meet is the National Meet, aka CanJam. Regional meets that happen to include a few (or even several) vendors are still traditional meets, nothing commercial about them. I've attended meets of all sizes and if I did a full count of every single one it would be more than 30 since 2006 - and the only ones that deserve the "convention" label have been the National Meets.

If you want a vendor at one of your meets, all you have to do is ask that vendor directly, it's pretty much that simple.

As for a CanJam in Canada, the overriding factor there is a team willing to do the work to pull it off. Everything else is secondary.

Dec 6, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #27 of 28
Looked fun maybe I'll attend the next one if I can
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back