2 Questions
Jul 1, 2002 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Rumpole

New Head-Fier
First question: Porta Corda + HD600.
Due to a budget, this is what I can afford at the moment. What do you guys think? Jan quoted me a price of US$360, which I think is very reasonable indeed.

One more question: leaving portability and isolation aside, which is the better headphone: Etys 4P/S or HD600?

Thanks ppl!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2002 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

First question: Porta Corda + HD600. What do you guys think?

you are going to use your HD600 as your portable can?

Quote:

One more question: leaving portability and isolation aside, which is the better headphone: Etys 4P/S or HD600?

Having heard both and owning the HD600, I think that the HD600 is a better headphone. The Ety had a very clear and pure sound in the highs and mids, but lack any real bass. The HD600 just has great highs, mids and plenty of bass, they are also much, much more comfortable to wear as I found the Ety to be unbearable painfully to wear.

Jul 1, 2002 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...

you are going to use your HD600 as your portable can?

I'm not sure, but I don't think it is convenient to whip out the HD600 and to store it back later. Besides, my commute is only about 10mins each way, so for this purpose my EX70 should suffice with the porta corda. Am thinking of using this can (yeah I'll carry it) in the office/home. I wonder if anyone actually use it as a portable can?

Having heard both and owning the HD600, I think that the HD600 is a better headphone. The Ety had a very clear and pure sound in the highs and mids, but lack any real bass. The HD600 just has great highs, mids and plenty of bass, they are also much, much more comfortable to wear as I found the Ety to be unbearable painfully to wear. [/QUOTE]

Lovely. I've been searching this forum high and low for a comparison of sound qualities between the two cans but found alot of stuff discussing isolation and portability only.

Jul 1, 2002 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 8
There will be many people who will say the Ety has better bass, it certainly has better balanced and more detailed bass that integrates with the rest of the sound better imo, but dosen't have the outer ear impact of full-size cans like the Senns. The Ety also has tighter performane in the lowest octave.

The Senns are lumpy in comparison with an exaggeration around 100Hz and bass that does not integrate with the rest of the sound as well imo.

The Corda HA-1 is a better match with ER-4S than the Senn 600, haven't heard the Porta Corda.

Jul 1, 2002 at 5:35 AM Post #6 of 8
Going just by sound quality, I prefer the Etys. They sound good w/ any genre I throw at them, while the Senns could be too laidback w/ more aggressive music (personal preference). Of course, comfort is a big factor, as KR... mentioned.

Jul 1, 2002 at 10:57 PM Post #8 of 8
I think that the ETYs walk all over the high end (dynamic) Senns...

The apparent 'lack' of bass that some people mention with the ER4s... I personally think that its very accurate rather than underdone, and the tone generally speaking is a lot cleaner imo through the ETYs...

Each to their own though... the HD600s certainly aren't bad cans... it all comes down to two different types of presentation and which one you prefer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back