2 in 1 (DAC/HeadAmp) solution for office rig
Oct 2, 2013 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Andrew_WOT

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking for compact and good  very nice sounding one box solution for office rig.
Was trying out Burson Conductor which didn't work out that well due to size and mostly the sound, even liked my Glite with DPS better.
Is there anything better available that doesn't take a lot of space on the desk.

Other two options I've considered so far is fairly new Concero HP, not a lot of reviews but initial feedback seems to be quite positive, I am not so convinced on amp section though

The other one is W4S MPRE, more money, no DSD support, questionable amp section, and no feedback I could find.

I am currently using Chord DAC64 paired with GLite driven by AP2+PP, it certainly produces a killer sound but a little too much of a hardware to put together, if I could get at least 80% of that sound in a more compact package I'll be one happy clam.
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 21
  Yulong DA8?

I've heard good things on DA8 as a DAC, accordingly to some it's closest in more budget friendly range comparable to Vega which I am just completely in love.
L3000.gif

But I am not so sure about amp section, is it really on par with DAC, is it discrete or opamp design?
I am sure my friend Darken32 will chime in to share his experience.
wink_face.gif

Oct 2, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 21
it's opamp based i believe (at least the dac output part is). discrete is not superior to opamps or vice versa imo. but yeah i think the amp on it is pretty good. darken32 can definitely give you more info on that

Oct 3, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #5 of 21
i think it strongly depends on what headphone you are using with this. i believe the concero hp is a class below these fully powered items because of its usb bus power

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #6 of 21
The Lynx Hilo is small and packs a lot of capability. For some though, it's too complex. I don't use it's capabilities but for a DAC/headphone amp combo, it's worth an audition. http://www.lynxstudio.com/product_detail.asp?i=59

Can be had for $1850. Visit the thread in Summit Fi for contact info if interested.

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #8 of 21
Centrance DACmini would be another good option.

Oct 3, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #9 of 21
The Lynx Hilo is small and packs a lot of capability. For some though, it's too complex. I don't use it's capabilities but for a DAC/headphone amp combo, it's worth an audition. http://www.lynxstudio.com/product_detail.asp?i=59

Can be had for $1850. Visit the thread in Summit Fi for contact info if interested.

That's a very good looking indeed and supports DSD, thanks, how is the amp section and USB implementation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back