2 Channel amp + powered sub?
Nov 15, 2008 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Sof

New Head-Fier
I've been looking around to upgrade my computer speakers to something better. Looking at the A5's at the moment.

But I was wondering, since most 2 channel amps (atleast the one I've seen, I'm no audio expert) don't have sub support, is it possible to run a set of book shelfs and a powered sub? How would this be connected?

Thanks.

Nov 15, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 8
You could try the 0404 usb as an option. It has 2 TRS outputs as well as a 1/8 out. TRS for the A5s, and the 1/8 can be used for a sub. I don't know off the top of my head what the A5s use, but it may be an option. I am using the 0404 for my bx8s and a hsu sub.

Nov 16, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #3 of 8
Well I wouldnt be hooking up the A5's to that setup, sorry. Just a different set of book shelf speakers (Tangent for example) with a 2.0 amp to power them. Then add a powered sub, but I haven't picked out an amp, maybe a NAD 325/315BEE.

Nov 16, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sof /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been looking around to upgrade my computer speakers to something better. Looking at the A5's at the moment.

But I was wondering, since most 2 channel amps (atleast the one I've seen, I'm no audio expert) don't have sub support, is it possible to run a set of book shelfs and a powered sub? How would this be connected?

Thanks.

Yes you can...most subs have line level inputs or high level inputs. Typically, a receiver has a pre out for this purpose, but since it's a basic 2 channel amp, chances are that there isn't such a thing. This is where the high-level inputs come in. Hook up your wires to the amp, then run those wires directly into the high level inputs. Hook your speakers up to the sub amp now, using the high-level outputs.

Brendan

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #5 of 8
If you are using a two ch amp and a powered sub most subs have a high level in that allows the sub to see the signal remove the bass and send the power and sound to the speakers.

Nov 16, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Well I wouldnt be hooking up the A5's to that setup, sorry. Just a different set of book shelf speakers (Tangent for example) with a 2.0 amp to power them. Then add a powered sub, but I haven't picked out an amp, maybe a NAD 325/315BEE.

Just look for an integrated amp or receiver with a volume controlled sub out - many have them.

Nov 16, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Any suggestions?

Nothing I've had the chance to hear myself. Yamaha, Denon, and Harmon Kardon all make stereo receivers - many with sub outs, and of course boutique brands like Outlaw do too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back