2.5mm balanced jack
Apr 25, 2020 at 8:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Stefanmz7

100+ Head-Fier
Hello! So I got myself a Fiio Q1 MkII DAC for my Audiotechnica headphones (Ath M70x) and I am very happy with it the sound quality is amazing the sound is very pure and so on. But it has a 2.5 mm balanced headphone jack in addition to the standard 3.5mm one but I only have a 3.5mm cable(included with my headphones.) Do I need to buy a 2.5mm one for the balanced jack? I mean I heard there was a difference in quality but is it really true? And is it distinguishable enough to be worth it to buy another possibly expensive cable(because I want a high quality one)?

Apr 25, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #4 of 10
I own both Q1 mark ii and Q5, and in both instances, the power output is considerably more to the balanced output. I can't comment on whether it actually sounds "better", but it drives headphones more effortlessly. I have all my IEM's and my DT 1770 PRO's (custom conversion) on 2.5mm and i wouldn't go back to 3.5mm se. My only gripe is that they are more delicate. Ive gone through 2 iem cables and had to send my 1770's cable back for repair due to dropping the music player and busting the jack.
Then again, i am clumsy from time to time...

Apr 25, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 10
Hello! So I got myself a Fiio Q1 MkII DAC for my Audiotechnica headphones (Ath M70x) and I am very happy with it the sound quality is amazing the sound is very pure and so on. But it has a 2.5 mm balanced headphone jack in addition to the standard 3.5mm one but I only have a 3.5mm cable(included with my headphones.) Do I need to buy a 2.5mm one for the balanced jack? I mean I heard there was a difference in quality but is it really true? And is it distinguishable enough to be worth it to buy another possibly expensive cable(because I want a high quality one)?
You can buy 2.5mm balanced cables really inexpensively. I have all my iem's converted, and i think the most I've paid is £50, but I've bought from £30, and been perfectly satisfied. You can get good 2.5mm cables from £15....

Apr 25, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #6 of 10
You can buy 2.5mm balanced cables really inexpensively. I have all my iem's converted, and i think the most I've paid is £50, but I've bought from £30, and been perfectly satisfied. You can get good 2.5mm cables from £15....
The m70x is not a iem. It’s a single entry over ear headphone. Can’t just change the cable to balanced. You have to re-wire inside the headphone.

Apr 26, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #7 of 10
The m70x is not a iem. It’s a single entry over ear headphone. Can’t just change the cable to balanced. You have to re-wire inside the headphone.
Of course, you're right, my mistake. It was late when i replied!! . If im not mistaken, isn't it the same 3 pin mini xlr as my 1770's would of had as standard? In which case, you're right, you'd need them converted to something like a 4-pin mini xlr, and then look at a company like Oidio Sound for a cable..... Not ridiculously expensive, but certainly not cheap

May 1, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 10
I wouldn't worry about it with your current headphone, but going forward i would try to incorporate balanced connectors if you can. More and more budget devices are offering 2.5mm and it will be very prevalent going forward. Power is important for portable devices and being able to potentially drive twice the power to your headphones for a portable (or home) setup is good to have. Plus 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapters are tiny and cheap.

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #9 of 10

Hi,

Can you share any links for the cables online? All i can find are really expensive ones. I have a FIIO Q1mk2 and want to use my Hifiman Sundara through a balanced 2.5mm to 2x3.5mm cable!

Jul 13, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #10 of 10
Hi,

Can you share any links for the cables online? All i can find are really expensive ones. I have a FIIO Q1mk2 and want to use my Hifiman Sundara through a balanced 2.5mm to 2x3.5mm cable!

For IEM'S, there's lots of places you can get inexpensive, good quality 2.5mm terminated cables. Try Aliexpress, Amazon, Penon Audio, Linsoul, to name but a few. As for your Sundaras, you'll probably need something custom made. Try Oidio Sound or Custom Cans. They've both been fabulous with me, and you should be able to get something sub £100 (which is still a steal for a hand made custom cable).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back