2.1 speakers for music?
Nov 4, 2012 at 6:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Aussiejuggalo

Head-Fier
Well i just got rid of my Logitech X-540 5.1 as i dont use 5.1 for gaming anymore i use a headset  and i want better speaker sound quality
biggrin.gif

Im now after some 2.1 speakers but i have no idea what to get.

Mostly will be used for music (pretty much every kind) while im not at my pc (have a headset for when i am) maybe some Youtube videos and movies on occasion.

Budgets kinda hard to say but for now i'll say... maybe $300
wink_face.gif

At the moment its gonna be onboard sound, if you want to suggest a sound card or DAC for music 30% and gaming 70% that would be cool to
tongue.gif

Thanks

Nov 5, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 34
Well my budget's been cut down to about $150 to $300 if i really push it but iv been looking around and i was thinking for speakers i was thinking for 2.0 Audioengine 2, Swan D1080-IV or Audioengine 5+ and for 2.1 Swan M10, Edifier M3300SF, Swan M50W. And for a sound card ASUS Xonar Essence STX or maybe a Creative dont know what one tho

Help would be appreciated

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 34
Quote:
Well my budget's been cut down to about $150 to $300 if i really push it but iv been looking around and i was thinking for speakers i was thinking for 2.0 Audioengine 2, Swan D1080-IV or Audioengine 5+ and for 2.1 Swan M10, Edifier M3300SF, Swan M50W. And for a sound card ASUS Xonar Essence STX or maybe a Creative dont know what one tho

Help would be appreciated

Some excellent choices already, but have you considered a passive speaker setup? Many times you can get a better sound from it than you can with active powered speakers.

Destroysall.

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 34
Quote:
Some excellent choices already, but have you considered a passive speaker setup? Many times you can get a better sound from it than you can with active powered speakers.

Destroysall.

Hmm thought i put that in lol, i would kinda prefer passive just the fact its easier to replace parts :p i just have no idea what are good and bad and how to set it up o_O

Nov 5, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 34
Quote:
Hmm thought i put that in lol, i would kinda prefer passive just the fact its easier to replace parts :p i just have no idea what are good and bad and how to set it up o_O

My apologies if you did. Lol. They are not difficult by any means to setup, just do some research. Mind you, your best bet in choosing a loudspeaker would be to try and demo them yourself in person, if at all possible. Anyone can tell you a product sounds glorious, but only your ears can determine what is good or isn't. An example of this was when I was sold on Polk Audio for a moment because they were on sale on Newegg constantly. I had the opportunity one day to hear their most high-end tower speakers and couldn't bear listening to them as they were just too sibilant. So it really depends on you.

My recommendations for the money, however, would be the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR which would come out to about $130 for the loudspeakers alone.  It may not provide the bass you'd like, but you can always upgrade to a sub woofer when the wallet allows. Why I recommend these is because these were designed by Andrew Jones, the man who designed the TAD Reference One, which sells for $80,000 a pair! 

Destroysall.

Nov 5, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 34
Quote:
My apologies if you did. Lol. They are not difficult by any means to setup, just do some research. Mind you, your best bet in choosing a loudspeaker would be to try and demo them yourself in person, if at all possible. Anyone can tell you a product sounds glorious, but only your ears can determine what is good or isn't. An example of this was when I was sold on Polk Audio for a moment because they were on sale on Newegg constantly. I had the opportunity one day to hear their most high-end tower speakers and couldn't bear listening to them as they were just too sibilant. So it really depends on you.

My recommendations for the money, however, would be the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR which would come out to about $130 for the loudspeakers alone.  It may not provide the bass you'd like, but you can always upgrade to a sub woofer when the wallet allows. Why I recommend these is because these were designed by Andrew Jones, the man who designed the TAD Reference One, which sells for $80,000 a pair! 

Destroysall.

The Pioneer's look nice xD only hard part will be finding them in Aus or somewhere that ships to Aus without needing to sell a kidney rofl. If only i had $80,000 :p
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 6, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroysall /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am sure Amazon ships to Australia.

Destroysall.

If Amazon doesnt ship to Aus is there anything you would you suggest off of this site http://www.avaustralia.com.au

Nov 6, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

If Amazon doesnt ship to Aus is there anything you would you suggest off of this site http://www.avaustralia.com.au

The NHT Super Zero 2.0 bookshelf speakers are great for the money. However, you will need a sub woofer to accompany them if you want a sweeter and fuller lower-end. For receivers, you could go with the Sherwood RX-4105, but bear in mind it is only a stereo receiver, and does not support 5.1 surround or video.

Actives have amps and speakers matched, they have active crossovers which are superior in sound to passive ones. You less cable clutter with actives too.

That is actually a good point. Aussiejuggalo, are these going to sit on your desktop and be used from there? If so, the KRK Rokit 5 G2 is another possible solution for you.

Destroysall.

Nov 6, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #11 of 34
Quote:
The NHT Super Zero 2.0 bookshelf speakers are great for the money. However, you will need a sub woofer to accompany them if you want a sweeter and fuller lower-end. For receivers, you could go with the Sherwood RX-4105, but bear in mind it is only a stereo receiver, and does not support 5.1 surround or video.

That is actually a good point. Aussiejuggalo, are these going to sit on your desktop and be used from there? If so, the KRK Rokit 5 G2 is another possible solution for you.

Destroysall.

I was looking at the NHT i just wasnt sure how good they were, sub can be added later :p, stereos fine for me i dont have the right set up for 5.1 and i dont really want it again on my pc anyway :p.

The speakers are gonna be on shelves above my screens and a sub would be under my desk and if i got a receiver it would probably go under my screens or on a shelf :p i thought about the setup for a bit xD

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:
I was looking at the NHT i just wasnt sure how good they were, sub can be added later :p, stereos fine for me i dont have the right set up for 5.1 and i dont really want it again on my pc anyway :p.

The speakers are gonna be on shelves above my screens and a sub would be under my desk and if i got a receiver it would probably go under my screens or on a shelf :p i thought about the setup for a bit xD

The NHT are very decent speakers. They have been favored by numerous sources, including CNet. I would recommend them.

Destroysall.

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:
The NHT are very decent speakers. They have been favored by numerous sources, including CNet. I would recommend them.

Destroysall.

Cool i'll be getting them and a receiver, maybe even a sub to :p.

I should ask aswell i was looking at the ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card, do i need a sound card? and if so is the Asus a good one for gaming on my headset and music on the speakers?

Thanks for the help :D

Nov 6, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #14 of 34
Quote:
Cool i'll be getting them and a receiver, maybe even a sub to :p.

I should ask aswell i was looking at the ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card, do i need a sound card? and if so is the Asus a good one for gaming on my headset and music on the speakers?

Thanks for the help :D

I wouldn't see it as a problem. If you need help in wiring up a system, just ask or post a new thread about it. It shouldn't be all that hard. For reference, here is the Australian website for NHT. You can order directly from them if you'd like as well.

Destroysall.

Nov 6, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #15 of 34
Quote:
I wouldn't see it as a problem. If you need help in wiring up a system, just ask or post a new thread about it. It shouldn't be all that hard. For reference, here is the Australian website for NHT. You can order directly from them if you'd like as well.

Destroysall.

Hopefully i wont have a problem wiring it up but i will post if i do :p. thanks for the link and all the help :D :D :D

One more quick thing any subs you'd recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back