2.1 setup, KEF iQ3 vs Infinity P162
Oct 20, 2008 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

explosionsinthesky

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!

Basically, I use my computer for both music and movies. I've been using my Klipsch Promedia 4.1 computer speakers for about 8 years, playing them loud, and they are finally showing their age. The rear channels fade in and out, so I've been using it as a 2.1 setup, but I think it's time to get a real 2.1 setup.

For a receiver I bought an Onkyo TX-SR506

Not sure about a sub yet, considering the Energy ESW-8

For bookshelf speakers, I started out with a huge list from AV123 to Wharfedale to PSB to Monitor Audio. I think I've narrowed it down to 2 speakers: the KEF iQ3s and the Infinity Primus P162s.

I just need help deciding which will be the better speaker for playing music loud, music like rock, experimental rock, indie, hip-hop, and electronic. They are both 8ohms, the KEF is 89db sensitivity while the Infinity is 90db.

Oct 21, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 15
I haven't heard any Infinity's for years (actually decades) but I own the old KEF Q1, which was the bookshelf version back then. I still use the Q1 and am still find it decent. The only potential downside is it doesn't deliver whooping bass by itself as it is a bookshelf.

I read that over the years, KEF enhanced the design and the iQ3 is an excellent buy. The bass is said to be improved in both quantity and quality. I have also read great reviews of the iQ3 in both European and Japanese hifi magazines - so it must be doing something right!

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #5 of 15
I had the P150 and P250 which I thought sounded great within their price range at loud volumes. At lower volumes they get muddy and vocals are hard to understand. I also have KEF speakers but they're reference line so its not a fair comparison. The KEF speakers claim to go deeper so from specs alone I'd go with KEF.

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #6 of 15
I own the iQ3 for about 3 months, and I am, lets say, satisfied with them, but it was not such a big improvement from my old (cheap) B&W.
However, you cant compare them to your Klipsch, and I dont know the Infinity.
One thing about the iQ3, they are huge, so I hope you got some stands cause you cannot keep them in the PC table..
(I got mine "made in CHINA", they say; we don't manufacture anymore in UK. This shouldn't be important, but I'm a bit fanatic..)

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #7 of 15
I've upped my budget to $400 and these are my newer choices:
Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE
Axiom M3 v2
SVS SCS-01
Elemental Designs A6-6T6 MTM

Looking for a non fatigue sounding speaker that is fairly neutral, smooth sounding, and sounds good at all volumes.

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
go out and listen?

X2.

It is a matter of preference as much as whether the speakers are any good. Used to have a pair of JBLs - great for rock and metal, but horrid for anything that required finesse.

When I bought my current KEFs, I auditioned some B&Ws (which were very highly recommended at the time). In the end, I really disliked the B&Ws and loved the KEFs.

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #11 of 15
if you can stretch a little bit more (it never ends with this hobby), I was able to pick up a pair of Totem Acoustic Rainmakers used for slightly more than your budget. I can't compare them to any of the speakers you are considering but at the time, I was considering the KEF IQ3s as well as the Energy RC10s and went with the Rainmakers based on reviews that I had read as I wasn't able to find a local shop to demo them. At 87.5 db they're definitely not the most efficient speakers but they sound wonderful to me with a variety of music.

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:08 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by explosionsinthesky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've upped my budget to $400 and these are my newer choices:
Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE
Axiom M3 v2
SVS SCS-01
Elemental Designs A6-6T6 MTM

Looking for a non fatigue sounding speaker that is fairly neutral, smooth sounding, and sounds good at all volumes.

vow, I bought the iQ3 for 400€, for how much did you find them?

May 11, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #13 of 15
I purchased both the Iq3s and P162s...I use one pair in my main listening area (iq3) and one in my computer room P162s. I thought they both sounded much better than the price. I got the Kefs for $249 new and the Infinitys for $175.00 new and in my opinion they were steals. I also have a pair of Paradigm Studio 40s and JM Labs 706. I needed something less than 15" tall so that is why I got the Kefs and I think they are great. I have them bi-wired with a B&K amp and Denon preamp. I use a small Mirage sub to fill in the low end and it works great for the size room. I also have a sunfire 12" sub but it is too much for this size room.

I dont think you can go wrong with either the Kefs or Infinitys. Just depends on the deal and personal preference of looks. If I had to choose between the two, I would say the Kefs are slightly better to my ears.

May 14, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #15 of 15
It is really something how good these small budget speakers are. I have a pair of Infinity P142s on my desk, and I'm really pleased with the sound. They image wonderfully. I have not experienced a problem at low levels. Setup is very important, of course. I have them sitting on some very dense foam, which got them off the desk by about half an inch, and really seems to help avoid reflections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back