2.1 or Bookshelf Suggestions please
Mar 3, 2012 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

antz123

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

I am not very tech savy on sound/audio side of technology i will admit. Thus after googling around got confused and thought would throw open a question which all must have replied many times.

I primarily use my PC for my audio needs. I have a Xonar ST as soundcard and presently am using Klipsch GMX 2.1. for Headphones I have Steelseries 7H.

Most important audio needs:

1) Music - Classical Rock and Alternate Rock and Some Daftpunk, Chemical Brothers and NIN
2) Games - Mostly on headphones
3) Movies

After all I searched I realized still people swearing by

Audioengine A5 or A2
Behringer MS40
M-Audio Studiophile BX5a

But I also see these are like speakers released in 2010, since last 2 years nothing out to take them on.

Another system with high rating was Corsair SP2500

So within the budget of speakers i mentioned above is there is better suggestion?

Thanks

Anant

Mar 4, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #6 of 10
Am from India so was checking at what rate are they available.

2. Yamaha HS50M -  INR - 30,000  = 600$
  3. KRK Rokit 6 G2 - 39,000 = 780$
  4. JBL LSR2325P - INR 50,000 = 1000$
  1. Fostex PM0.4n - I have to check a bit more to find this ones rate.
  2. Adam A3x - INR 34000 = 680$

:frowning2: ... so dont know if they fit in my budget have no idea why they so costly in our Country. :frowning2:

There is an Indian company I dont know if you have heard of it. But a friend of mine bought them and he was very happy with his purchase. he is in different city so cant comment first hand experience.

http://www.sonodyne.com/

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #7 of 10
The reason why they are so expensive is probably that the Indian Revenue Service applies steep tariffs on imported goods with the intent of protecting and spurring domestic manufacturers.  Import-substitution, they call it.  Go with Sonodyne.  The Indian government would approve.

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #8 of 10
no i understand the protection policies, these we end up facing in most of electronic goods that we buy here. But nothing is like on 100% hike.

I asked you if you want to take a look at the specs of Sonodyne, (though i know sound is not by specs purely) if anything you found worth considering. Otherwise I would start collecting funds towards one of the 4 options you mentioned.

Also these were some available out here. 1USD = 50INR roughly.

http://bajaao.com/shop/74-studiorecording/77-monitorsspeakers.html

Mar 5, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #9 of 10
I've been scooping up a bunch of budget bookshelves on Amazon and pairing them with a Lepai $20 amp, just now Newegg has a sale on these Pioneer BS21-LR and 41LR (reviewed by stereophile as a great value), pulled the trigger on the 21s which usually go for $80. The story goes that this great engineer Andrew Jones designed these speakers, so if you want to jump in go ahead. The floorstanders for $180 are getting good reviews too, some guy was saying he preferred their sound in his home theater to Polk, Klipsch and a few others.

Maybe i'll try those one day, since i usually buy Polk as my budget brand. Later on you can pick up a used receiver to give them more juice.
I have no clue about active and i don't plan on spending that much on speakers for a while. Well i have heard on thing, Audioengine is overrated and you are better off with Swan speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back