2.0 or 2.1 speakers for a mid size living room
Nov 17, 2012 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

bowei006

Panda Man
Reviewer at Headphone.Guru
Hello, I am looking for 2.0 or 2.1 speakers for a mid sized living room of weird proportions and thus we aren't going to be sound proofing or getting foam to smooth out the corners or etc.

They need to be loud enough is all. Right now, KRK Rokit's and AudioEngine 5+'s are on the list

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 16
I've heard the AudioEngines are worthy, but I don't have much experience with powered speakers, unfortunately.  Sounds like a really nice way to go.

Will you have space to get these out from the wall a bit and sit them on stands?  I've had major improvement just getting my stand-mounted speakers on *good* stands and being able to get them far enough away from the walls.

Or will these go on a desktop, tv table, etc?

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:
I've heard the AudioEngines are worthy, but I don't have much experience with powered speakers, unfortunately.  Sounds like a really nice way to go.

Will you have space to get these out from the wall a bit and sit them on stands?  I've had major improvement just getting my stand-mounted speakers on *good* stands and being able to get them far enough away from the walls.

Or will these go on a desktop, tv table, etc?

Yes. We have the space for floor units but WE do not want them. Only two small sized speakers stereo and possibly subwoofer in the room. We want it to be as little as possible. As a head-fi'er of course. There was no way I was going Bose if there were other options.

A stand probably. However we want it to be. It's a mid size living room BUT very open leading to a hallway, downstairs, kitchen which is the problem. Don't know if these will go loud enogh

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:
AudioEngine 5 is not protected against magnetic field. You should buy KRK or best system are amp+passive. You should look for best amp, passive speaker match.

They are not shielded but as they are computer speakers, they will have little or not effect being near a TV supposedly and judging by what I hear. That would be a no.

At the sub $500 price range I am looking at. NOT always are the best ones passive with an amp. And then we also need to explain best. Best in my case would be simple and with not many wires and small. So in my case, no amp and passive speaker would get on the list sadly. For my personal room? Hell yes. Audio Engine 5+'s? Maybe no.. I would be getting some floor standing big boys. 

But for my living room purpose. All in one and small, good sound, and has to be "loud enough" without distortion or problems. Although its hard to tell if it will be as while the living room area is small, it is veyr open.

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #7 of 16
You might be interested in this Paradigm 2.1 system -- nice review here:  
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/major-mojo-paradigm-millenia-ct-desktop-speakers

The reviewer says, in part, "The little system will happily play really loud, far, far louder than
I normally play on my desktop, and they never sounded like they were running out of gas."

So perhaps worth putting on your list.

Nov 17, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
You might be interested in this Paradigm 2.1 system -- nice review here:  
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/major-mojo-paradigm-millenia-ct-desktop-speakers

The reviewer says, in part, "The little system will happily play really loud, far, far louder than
I normally play on my desktop, and they never sounded like they were running out of gas."

So perhaps worth putting on your list.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #9 of 16
Also there are solid 2+1 system like "logitech z2300" or high models of altec lansing.

for exp:

[size=1.7em] Klipsch ProMedia 2.1[/size]

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO/ref=pd_cp_e_3

[size=1.7em] Harman Kardon Soundsticks III 2.1[/size]

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-Soundsticks-III-Multimedia/dp/B0042F3K9W/ref=pd_cp_e_3

Nov 18, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
Also there are solid 2+1 system like "logitech z2300" or high models of altec lansing.

for exp:

[size=1.7em] Klipsch ProMedia 2.1[/size]

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO/ref=pd_cp_e_3

[size=1.7em] Harman Kardon Soundsticks III 2.1[/size]

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-Soundsticks-III-Multimedia/dp/B0042F3K9W/ref=pd_cp_e_3

I have the updated Z2300, the Z623. I have heard that the Z623 isn't as clear but has more oomph. I bought them a while back for my computer speakers. I don't listen to music on my computer speakers, mainly use it for yotube when the sound quality of videos would kill me ear on headphones.

I have heard teh other two you have listed. Not wowed by them. 

Nov 18, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #11 of 16
Altec Lansing's MX5021 is nice, I own a pair, but not sure if you can find it. Its geared with a more U shaped  response, need to be EQ'd for good sound.

The Swan M50W also has some pretty good reviews, they are the only ones I can find that have a wooden cabinet for both the sub and satellites.

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
What is your source? I would think a dock like the Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Air or their new A7 wireless music system would be perfect for you.

Destroysall.

Not really. It's for a big expensive TV and they want good sound from a 2.1 setup. I have used and heard the Zepplin Air. It was meh for the price. They do and are thinking about Apple connected wirelesssytem though so I'll see.

Jun 27, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #14 of 16
KEF X300A. End of conversation.
If $700 is too rich for your blood, you can go lower end. In my opinion, the Klipsch Promedia at $150 have a nicer sound (though perhaps not the fidelity and resolution) than Audioengine A5's. That's just IMO. I don't like the lower end KRK studio monitors. I like Yorkville MUCH better. Yamaha is also great. Behringer makes a very nice 6.5" studio monitor with a ribbon tweeter for around $350/speaker that you might like.

Jun 27, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #15 of 16
I love your posting history mistersprinkles it makes you above post so much more enlightening.  You necro a 2yr old post to offer opinion full of bias and misinformation.  Yamaha monitors are hardly recommended by anyone, behringer monitors are "toys" in the pro-audio world and there is nothing at all wrong with any KRK monitors unless you are doing some serious mastering on pro level recordings.  

Good for your post count tho :p

To the mods, yes this may seem to be "trolling" but consider I took the time to read his 20+ recent posts all spewing similar opinionated drivel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back