2.0 dillema - speakers for media center
Sep 30, 2013 at 5:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Froiibaad

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I am trying to get some 2.0 speakers for my living room to connect them to my media center. Approx budget 150-200euros.

I have narrowed the search to these 2 models:

http://www.amazon.es/Edifier-R2600-Studio-2-0-altavoces/dp/B00AL9ZBZY/ref=sr_1_45?ie=UTF8&qid=1380291646&sr=8-45&keywords=edifier

http://www.amazon.es/Behringer-MS40-altavoz-Altavoces-Incorporado/dp/B000IKSIOM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_computers_4

Any experience with them? Any suggestion?

Thanks

Sep 30, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #2 of 12
If u want to do a 2.0 in a living room for a multi purpose audio set up i.e movies, music, tv, etc i'd have them having some decent low end w/o a dedicated sub? In my case i went with floor standers and it worked out fantastic 

Sep 30, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #3 of 12
The thing is, I have a huge useless wardrobe/cabinet (I don't know exact English word for that piece of junk) and since it's not my flat, can't get rid of it. That prevents me from going for floor-standers. I can put something like above mentioned speakers on the shelves. I could maybe go for some crazy shelf removal to squeeze the woofer in, but prefer not to. Also, I don't want to go for too big/strong speakers (the shape of the room - long and narrow) since I want to avoid reflections and madness etc.

Sep 30, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 12
Also, I don't want to go for too big/strong speakers (the shape of the room - long and narrow) since I want to avoid reflections and madness etc.

I didn't understand what this meant.

I could maybe go for some crazy shelf removal to squeeze the woofer in, but prefer not to.

Do you mean a subwoofer? Wouldn't need to go in the media center as far it is concerned. In fact, sticking subwoofers in entertainment centers is typically a bad idea.

Sep 30, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 12
Please forget the first part. Just a bad experience with acoustics of a long narrow rooms and big speakers.

To the second part, I just tried to explain why I don't consider 2.1 speakers. And since you say the subwoofer is a bad idea, even better. What do you say about the babies from the first post?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Sep 30, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #6 of 12
To the second part, I just tried to explain why I don't consider 2.1 speakers. And since you say the subwoofer is a bad idea, even better. What do you say about the babies from the first post?

NO. Sticking subwoofers in entertainment centers is often a bad idea. Subwoofers are good. :)

Put a sub outside the media center.

Sep 30, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #7 of 12
NO. Sticking subwoofers in entertainment centers is often a bad idea. Subwoofers are good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Put a sub outside the media center.

Yeah, the last time I tried to cram a 14" subwoofer into my media centre PC case, it didn't turn out so well 
biggrin.gif

What's up with those Behringers? Shouldn't the tweeters be on opposite sides on the left and right speakers (symmetrical) instead of being identical?

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #8 of 12
qypahyve.jpg

This is how much space I have. 2 shelves left and right to the screen. And below the screen is where I thought to maybe squeeze the subwoofer in.

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #9 of 12
That doesn't look like enough space to fit a decent subwoofer. And I would recommend leaving subwoofers on the floor, as that cabinet might rattle or otherwise resonate in unwanted ways if you put the sub on it.

It looks like you have enough space to fit some pretty decently sized bookshelf speakers though, so you might not need a sub. Check out Home Theater Review and Stereophile for speaker reviews.

Sep 30, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #10 of 12
That doesn't look like enough space to fit a decent subwoofer. And I would recommend leaving subwoofers on the floor, as that cabinet might rattle or otherwise resonate in unwanted ways if you put the sub on it.

It looks like you have enough space to fit some pretty decently sized bookshelf speakers though, so you might not need a sub. Check out Home Theater Review and Stereophile for speaker reviews.

+1

And at 150-200 Euros, you'll get better sound out of some decent powered monitors over a 2.1 set.

Do you have anywhere near you that sells musical equipment (guitars, drums, etc.) that also has studio monitors? Might find something good there :)

Sep 30, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 12
The only monitors in the ads I found are krk rokit 5 g3, at 200 pair. But I need an amplifier for them and that goes way over the budget, dont I?

@blueangel2323 Could you, please, give me the links to the reviews you mentioned? It seems I fail to find them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back