1st Canalphones: for small ear canals.
Jul 21, 2005 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

fraz

New Head-Fier
Can anyone recommend canalphones that would be suitable for small ear canals? They needn't be audiophile quality, i'm really just getting these for use on noisy public transport.

How small you ask? (or what doesn't fit)

I find ordinary earplugs painful when fully expanded. These Laser Lite Ear plugs are softer and narrower and seem to fit. I also once bought a pair of Ety ER-20 HiFi plugs for festivals. But I could never really use them since only the smallest flange fits in the my ear, and the middle one just contacts the edge of the canal. Large one has no chance, and they are quite painful.

BTW, After lurking here previously I got a pair of KOSS KSC75s, And think they are Great! Thanks all!

Jul 21, 2005 at 1:44 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolt San
I would use Ety ER-6is + the smallest Shure Ultra-Soft flex sleeve for the e3c/e4c/e5c series. Works like a charm, and you won't even notice they're in your ear.

Reviews sounds promising. I maayy even be able to afford, i mean, buy these. AU$170, though there is a new pair on ebay currently at AU$11.

You mention the ER-6i, is it any different to the ER-6 other than being white and coming with triple flanges? I'd rather the ER-6 (no i) since they don't have the massive stock flange, are slightly cheaper and they aren't white.. [size=xx-small](People might think I have an Ipod...
eek.gif
)
[/size]

And do the Shure tips really fit the ety securely?

Jul 21, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraz
You mention the ER-6i, is it any different to the ER-6 other than being white and coming with triple flanges?

Yes, it is VERY different. The ER6i has a lower impedance and has greater sensitivity in the bass and mids. The ER6 sounds thin and more detailed, the ER6i has a fuller sound. I would not recommend the ER6 without an external amp. Even the replacement nozzle filters are different, and not interchangeable.

Jul 21, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Reviews sounds promising. I maayy even be able to afford, i mean, buy these. AU$170, though there is a new pair on ebay currently at AU$11.

You mention the ER-6i, is it any different to the ER-6 other than being white and coming with triple flanges? I'd rather the ER-6 (no i) since they don't have the massive stock flange, are slightly cheaper and they aren't white.. [size=xx-small](People might think I have an Ipod...
eek.gif
)
[/size]

And do the Shure tips really fit the ety securely?

The Shure ultra-softs fit the etys more securely than they fit my e4cs.
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2005 at 6:35 PM Post #6 of 16
Also, (at least right now) with the 6i-Isolator I was unable to get adaptors for the Sensaphonic's muscians earplugs. If you want custom Sensaphonic's sleeves in the future you'll want to purchase the 6's and not the 6i's.

Barry

Jul 21, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Yes, it is VERY different. The ER6i has a lower impedance and has greater sensitivity in the bass and mids. The ER6 sounds thin and more detailed, the ER6i has a fuller sound. I would not recommend the ER6 without an external amp. Even the replacement nozzle filters are different, and not interchangeable.

If the i is for ipod, then i guess it make sense they have a fuller bass. I plan to use these with an iRiver H320 (or H120 if i can get one cheaply). They won't too bloated and muddy on the bass?

I do like bass (KSC75s very pleasing) and plenty is good - just as long as it's clear. I had toyed with the idea of Koss Plugs (AU$44), but I heard they kept falling out of peoples ears, and had swollen midbass. Was it all that bad? They do look a little large though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolt San
The Shure ultra-softs fit the etys more securely than they fit my e4cs.
biggrin.gif

I'll have to some at the same time then. Are those triple flanges that come with the er6i the same size as on the ER-20 earplugs? I probably won't be able to use them.

Jul 21, 2005 at 10:48 PM Post #8 of 16
Yeah, the default triple flanges are the same as on the ER-20s. They do have smaller sizes (and double flanges) that you can get by asking Etymotic Research for samples, but I still found the shure tips to be the most comfortable.

Jul 21, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

If the i is for ipod, then i guess it make sense they have a fuller bass. I plan to use these with an iRiver H320 (or H120 if i can get one cheaply). They won't too bloated and muddy on the bass?

Few people would say the ER6i has excessive/muddy/bloated bass. Their bass is quite articulate, with a warmer sounding signature. I use my iPod with an amp, and with the amp, the ER6i's really sound nicely balanced.

While Etymotic claims the ER6i is made for the iPod, they really increased the sensitivity to match most other headphones, because the ER6's sound too thin to many. Coming from any full size headphone, most would find the ER6's too lean sounding. The ER6i was designed to address that criticism, iPod or not.

Jul 25, 2005 at 8:39 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Few people would say the ER6i has excessive/muddy/bloated bass. Their bass is quite articulate, with a warmer sounding signature. I use my iPod with an amp, and with the amp, the ER6i's really sound nicely balanced.

While Etymotic claims the ER6i is made for the iPod, they really increased the sensitivity to match most other headphones, because the ER6's sound too thin to many. Coming from any full size headphone, most would find the ER6's too lean sounding. The ER6i was designed to address that criticism, iPod or not.

Very promising then! I've been astounded by the KSC75s clear bass, (after coming from philips and sony consumer models) and wouldn't go back now I was just a little concerned they were EQed to address ipods sound signature.

I was at a large music festival on the weekend, and tried using the ER-20s 'in the field' so to speak. They made my ears a little sore at first, but I think that was because I was trying to stuff too much of it into my ear. I'm used to soft ear plugs where the skinny bit fits below the tip of the tragus. But if I can get ones without the third flange or slightly smaller that may be fine.

As a side note, one guy in the crowd asked me, "hey man, are they ear plugs?... with holes in ends!?" I just said: "So I can hear the music better
smily_headphones1.gif
" and left it at that, he got the idea. He was very excited and started nudging his mate to tell him. The sound is good on ER-20s eventually I wasn't even aware of the "sound" of ear plugs only the decrease in volume (more bass!) and having something stuffed in my ears. And no ringing today!

Jul 25, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Very promising then! I've been astounded by the KSC75s clear bass, (after coming from philips and sony consumer models) and wouldn't go back now I was just a little concerned they were EQed to address ipods sound signature.

I was at a large music festival on the weekend, and tried using the ER-20s 'in the field' so to speak. They made my ears a little sore at first, but I think that was because I was trying to stuff too much of it into my ear. I'm used to soft ear plugs where the skinny bit fits below the tip of the tragus. But if I can get ones without the third flange or slightly smaller that may be fine.

As a side note, one guy in the crowd asked me, "hey man, are they ear plugs?... with holes in ends!?" I just said: "So I can hear the music better
smily_headphones1.gif
" and left it at that, he got the idea. He was very excited and started nudging his mate to tell him. The sound is good on ER-20s eventually I wasn't even aware of the "sound" of ear plugs only the decrease in volume (more bass!) and having something stuffed in my ears. And no ringing today!

The three true IEMs I have tried (ER6i, ER4, E3), are all clearer in comparison to the ksc75 in every way. They have very little bass in comparison though and are nowhere as fun.

Jul 25, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Like you, I have similarly small ear canals. The tri-flanges are uncomfortable for me, and I also have and use ER-20s which are manageable, but I wish they were smaller. I use the ER-6i as well, and you can have Ety's customer service send you a pair of sample 'small' bi-flanges, which are basically the tri-flanges but without the largest outer flange. Or, you can modify your own tri-flanges by simply cutting off that largest one -- The result is exactly the same, and I have done this many times. I also purchased some of the Shure ultra-soft flex sleeves (smallest size) and they are also very comfortable. They feel most like the Sony EX-51/71 tips, which fit well for small ear canals. I think you will not have a problem with comfort if you choose either the small bi-flange or the Shure ultrasoft flex sleeve route.

Jul 26, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwchin
I use the ER-6i as well, and you can have Ety's customer service send you a pair of sample 'small' bi-flanges, which are basically the tri-flanges but without the largest outer flange.

I second this suggestion.

Jul 26, 2005 at 1:03 AM Post #15 of 16
Not meaning to Hi-jack but where can you get replacement foamies\ silicon tips for er-4s?\ Er-6s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back