1MORE H1707 Triple-Driver Over Ear
May 7, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #931 of 1,567
It was said back when they decided to make the silver version that when they had showed the gold version at a show or canjam that the American market did not like they gold so they made the silver because of that. They also, because of the American feedback, changed the drivers to supposedly conform more to American tastes rather than European and Asian tastes. Whatever... I am an American living in Europe... so what does that mean for me lol. I love my gold one and have no plans to get the silver... no need for both ... I have many other headphones for variety.

May 13, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #932 of 1,567
https://www.amazon.com/Josi-Minea-C...51D5GXAC0GMRDCGY&qid=1557771224&s=electronics

I already own a balanced cable 2.4mm -> 2x3.5mm and wondering if the adapter above might work for the 1MTDoe and my existing cable. My main concern is that the adapter is 4 pole and the balanced cable 3.5mm end is three.

I would like to get a short balanced cable made for driving these from my ES100, but it would be amazing if I could use adapters and also drive my HE4XX from the same cable (still a little thrifty)

May 13, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #933 of 1,567
https://www.amazon.com/Josi-Minea-C...51D5GXAC0GMRDCGY&qid=1557771224&s=electronics

I already own a balanced cable 2.4mm -> 2x3.5mm and wondering if the adapter above might work for the 1MTDoe and my existing cable. My main concern is that the adapter is 4 pole and the balanced cable 3.5mm end is three.

I would like to get a short balanced cable made for driving these from my ES100, but it would be amazing if I could use adapters and also drive my HE4XX from the same cable (still a little thrifty)

I think the connections would work, but the adaptor is too thick to fit in the 6mm channel that you need to use in each ear cup. Nice idea though, maybe if there is one with a bit of cable between the plugs.

May 13, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #937 of 1,567

With an adapter like that (assuming you're talking about buying two of those to stick into the cups to be able to insert a headphone cable that branches out into a 3.5mm L and R connectors), I would have concerns that moving your head would push the adapter/plug against your shoulder bending the plug or damaging the socket in the headphones. I have the HiFiMan HE-400i headphones with the 2.5mm sockets on the cups and successfully used that aftermarket cable to drive the 1MORE H1707. I paid about $40 for the cable, not sure if that's still the going rate for an inexpensive balanced cable these days, a quick search turned up something similar:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HCFSDJK/

That (or something like it) should work with the 1MORE H1707. Would seem preferable to me to have a cable like that with normal jacks going into the cups (i.e. nothing extra long/adapted sticking out), even if it does cost more than buying adapters for an existing cable. Either way, good luck finding a solution that works best for you!

May 13, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #938 of 1,567
I actually have the 3.5MM version of that cable, I would both love to not buy a nearly identical cable again and would love the option to move to a less flashy cable at some point - truth be told I'll almost certainly break and order exactly that by the end of the week - but I'm hoping creativity will be rewarded.

Either that or I'm going to start making 2.5MM and 3.5MM TRS -> MMCX adapters, since MMCX gets so much more love in the portable cable world

May 13, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #939 of 1,567
I actually have the 3.5MM version of that cable, I would both love to not buy a nearly identical cable again and would love the option to move to a less flashy cable at some point - truth be told I'll almost certainly break and order exactly that by the end of the week - but I'm hoping creativity will be rewarded.

Either that or I'm going to start making 2.5MM and 3.5MM TRS -> MMCX adapters, since MMCX gets so much more love in the portable cable world

Gotcha. Word of warning, there is no standard on how 2.5mm and 3.5mm plugs are wired in the earcups of headphones. People on this forum have complained for example about Audio Technica's use of A2DC on their headphones now, but at least that's a standard (like MMCX)! For instance, Onkyo's A800 headphones have 3.5mm jacks in the cups. Nobody was selling an Onkyo A800 balanced cable. I bought a Sony MDR-Z7 balanced cable since that headphone also has 3.5mm sockets in the cups. Found out the cable can't work. Talked to a cable maker who said he could do a custom cable for me, got out my multimeter, did some continuity checks and found out the Onkyo A800 and Sony MDR-Z7 are wired differently in their cables/cups. Had a custom cable made, and it works great in the Onkyo A800, but it does mean there is no such thing as a universal 2.5mm or 3.5mm socket on headphone cups. So you'd have to make a variety of adapters (or just one adapter that only works on certain headphones) to go from say MMCX to 2.5mm.

May 13, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #940 of 1,567
Nobody was selling an Onkyo A800 balanced cable. I bought a Sony MDR-Z7 balanced cable since that headphone also has 3.5mm sockets in the cups. Found out the cable can't work. Talked to a cable maker who said he could do a custom cable for me, got out my multimeter, did some continuity checks and found out the Onkyo A800 and Sony MDR-Z7 are wired differently in their cables/cups. Had a custom cable made, and it works great in the Onkyo A800,

I need to know that information so I can have a shorter simpler cable made for my A800. I had tried a few that we had around the house that fit but, as you said were wired differently so that they did not work... I can't remember the details now but sometimes sound would come from one side. You can PM the info to me if you think it is too off topic for this thread.

May 19, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #941 of 1,567
Long story short - I was asked if it is possible to build a balanced cable for the H1707 awhile back, so I start poking around for parts I can use. But at the end the guy wented for something else and I ended up with a pair of spare plugs for HD700 (*TRS 2.5mm), but I am not completely sure whether it will fit the H1707 - if it isn't clear - no, I don't own a pair of H1707 and have no plan of getting one, as I don't really need or want a pair of on-ear. Anyway, here are what the plugs look like:

DSC_0189.JPG

The problem is, the base / shoulder of the plug is 6.5mm wide, which according to your guys probably will not fit into the headphone socket (as it is for 6mm) - but there is still a chance as this particular plug has an extension of about 7mm between the 2.5mm TRS and the shoulder - so the question is whether the TRS + extension will clear the headphone socket or not?

Untitled.jpg

If the TRS + extension (11mm + 7mm = 18mm) is longer than the inner side of the socket, then the shoulder should clear the housing and these plugs should be good for use in making balanced cable. The best way to measure this will be to make a mark on the stock cable 2.5mm plug on the inner side, then unplug and measure the length from tip to the marking, so anyone wants to help?

May 19, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #943 of 1,567
They should work fine, I made a balanced cable for my Triple Over Ear's recently and the plug you have looks the same sizing as mine. Its not prefect as there is still a gap, but you wouldn't have the room to solder if it were any different.

unnamed (8).jpg

I can measure them if you like but the extension length looks the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back