1G Shuffle
Sep 30, 2009 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jhendrickson

100+ Head-Fier
I'm selling my 16GB Touch in the next couple of days and going to replace it with a higher capacity device. I am leaning towards a 160GB Classic. I've read that the SQ on it isn't quite as good as the 5th gens but whatever.

So here's the thing. I found our 1st generation white packs of gum tonight. Charged them up and listened to whatever music was on there.

I could not believe the difference in sound this Shuffle puts out compared to my Touch. Absolutely blown away that this little thing sounds so good. After a few searches I found I am not the only one who discovered this.
smily_headphones1.gif

Soooo... is there anything currently available in the market with sound as good (or nearly as good) as the 1G Shuffle that is <$300?

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 6

shigzeo

The Hiss King
the clip from sansa uses very similar audio hardware to the shuffle and hisses less. but... it has narrower stereo separation than the 1g shuffle. i've not found a player to replace the shuffle for overall sq, but ... hiss, that is another story.

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 6

originalsnuffy

Headphoneus Supremus
Yeah, I did my version of an a/b vs. the shuffle 1G. The clip was a definite winner. But the clip has the nuisance factor of a display, more memory, a useful clip for your sports gear, plays WMA, has FM radio. So if you can get over those limitations, check it out.

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 6

evilking

CAUTION: INCOMPLETE TRADES.
The Sansa Express is still the king for low impedance headphones. <0.01% THD, <0.03% IMD, 70-85db stereo seperation and ruler flat freq response (+-0.3db 20hz-20khz), those specs are true for all loads. There's nothing better without an amp, and still most portable amps have more crosstalk (the iqube was the only one I tested that could do 70db at <32ohm). It's kind of a pain to have such amazing performance in a 30gram budget player because "upgrading" involves too much sacrifice of portability. Also everything else is mediocre: interface sucks, 15 hour battery life, MP3/WMA/WAV only, no gapless, on-the-go playlisting is a joke, rebuilds database every power-on (careful file/sd-card management required), can't see the screen in bright sunlight...

Although, I did buy 4 spares...

Just in case.

wink.gif

EK

EDIT: Sure, an ipod classic, LOD and pico slim, would give me lossless, gapless, OTG playlisting and mind blowing SQ. But it won't be anywhere near 30grams or £12!

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 6

jhendrickson

100+ Head-Fier
Thanks for the input and sarcasm. I was looking for higher capacity (something greater than the 16GB Touch I already have) devices with SQ as close to a Shuffle as I could get though.

If I need an ultra portable I'll check out your recommendations- I picked up an 80GB and a 160GB Classic for my wife and I yesterday. Pretty happy with them so far.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 6

Sparky191

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhendrickson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could not believe the difference in sound this Shuffle puts out compared to my Touch. Absolutely blown away that this little thing sounds so good. After a few searches I found I am not the only one who discovered this.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm guessing thats the 1G Touch. Because I think the 2G Touch is almost as good as the 1G Shuffle. Another option would have been the Fuze, 8GB but you can add a microSD cards.

Users who are viewing this thread