1G Shuffle
Sep 30, 2009 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jhendrickson

100+ Head-Fier
I'm selling my 16GB Touch in the next couple of days and going to replace it with a higher capacity device. I am leaning towards a 160GB Classic. I've read that the SQ on it isn't quite as good as the 5th gens but whatever.

So here's the thing. I found our 1st generation white packs of gum tonight. Charged them up and listened to whatever music was on there.

I could not believe the difference in sound this Shuffle puts out compared to my Touch. Absolutely blown away that this little thing sounds so good. After a few searches I found I am not the only one who discovered this.
smily_headphones1.gif

Soooo... is there anything currently available in the market with sound as good (or nearly as good) as the 1G Shuffle that is <$300?

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 6
the clip from sansa uses very similar audio hardware to the shuffle and hisses less. but... it has narrower stereo separation than the 1g shuffle. i've not found a player to replace the shuffle for overall sq, but ... hiss, that is another story.

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 6
Yeah, I did my version of an a/b vs. the shuffle 1G. The clip was a definite winner. But the clip has the nuisance factor of a display, more memory, a useful clip for your sports gear, plays WMA, has FM radio. So if you can get over those limitations, check it out.

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 6
The Sansa Express is still the king for low impedance headphones. <0.01% THD, <0.03% IMD, 70-85db stereo seperation and ruler flat freq response (+-0.3db 20hz-20khz), those specs are true for all loads. There's nothing better without an amp, and still most portable amps have more crosstalk (the iqube was the only one I tested that could do 70db at <32ohm). It's kind of a pain to have such amazing performance in a 30gram budget player because "upgrading" involves too much sacrifice of portability. Also everything else is mediocre: interface sucks, 15 hour battery life, MP3/WMA/WAV only, no gapless, on-the-go playlisting is a joke, rebuilds database every power-on (careful file/sd-card management required), can't see the screen in bright sunlight...

Although, I did buy 4 spares...

Just in case.

wink.gif

EK

EDIT: Sure, an ipod classic, LOD and pico slim, would give me lossless, gapless, OTG playlisting and mind blowing SQ. But it won't be anywhere near 30grams or £12!

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the input and sarcasm. I was looking for higher capacity (something greater than the 16GB Touch I already have) devices with SQ as close to a Shuffle as I could get though.

If I need an ultra portable I'll check out your recommendations- I picked up an 80GB and a 160GB Classic for my wife and I yesterday. Pretty happy with them so far.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhendrickson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could not believe the difference in sound this Shuffle puts out compared to my Touch. Absolutely blown away that this little thing sounds so good. After a few searches I found I am not the only one who discovered this.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm guessing thats the 1G Touch. Because I think the 2G Touch is almost as good as the 1G Shuffle. Another option would have been the Fuze, 8GB but you can add a microSD cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back