1964 vs Unique melody - Gday mate!!
Jun 5, 2011 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

LegendaryLvl1

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

So I'm an Australian currently in the market for customs (with a budget of roughly 600).

I have my eyes on 2 products, the 1964 Ears's Quads OR Unique Melody's Aero

I have no experience with customs so I was just wondering if I could just get a few questions answered

1) How does this make sense:
Top of the line for 1964 Ears - Quads ($525)
Bottom of the line for Unique Melody - 500

Can someone please explain that to me...

2) Excluding impression costs, I'm assuming that the only price difference for me choosing 1964 ears would be the shipping costs (To America)

Sorry if I'm asking for a bit much ><

Jun 5, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 10
You and me both. I'm up in Darwin, trying to make exactly the same decision. I'm moving up from TF10's, they constantly fall out of my ears, no matter what tips I put on them. I've been following the 1964ears thread religiously and there are alot of happy 1964-Q customers, so i'm close to slapping down an order

Jun 5, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
You and me both. I'm up in Darwin, trying to make exactly the same decision. I'm moving up from TF10's, they constantly fall out of my ears, no matter what tips I put on them. I've been following the 1964ears thread religiously and there are alot of happy 1964-Q customers, so i'm close to slapping down an order

I'll be upgrading (hopefully) from my ck100's. I just bought another pair of re0's for the time being :)
also

I heard you like mudkipz

Jun 5, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:

Hey David,
Might I also make the suggestion of considering getting the TF10x6 upgrade through Unique Melody. If you already have TF10's and have around $500 to spend, you can send them your impressions and the TF10's and they will make them 6 drivers with custom moulds and their own cross-over. Very good bang for your buck. I haven't heard them so I can't really speak of them, but I've read good things around here to far on the driver addition to TF-10's. Just something else to consider.

Quote:
I'll be upgrading (hopefully) from my ck100's. I just bought another pair of re0's for the time being :)
also

I heard you like mudkipz

Sorry I can't really help Legendary, I don't have a set of 1964's to compare to, but UM have a 'trial' system where you can get a pair of 'Universal Customs' to listen to and all you end up paying is for the shipping (once the deposit is returned, roughly half the full cost).
Might be worth doing.

Jun 6, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
Hey David,
Might I also make the suggestion of considering getting the TF10x6 upgrade through Unique Melody. If you already have TF10's and have around $500 to spend, you can send them your impressions and the TF10's and they will make them 6 drivers with custom moulds and their own cross-over. Very good bang for your buck. I haven't heard them so I can't really speak of them, but I've read good things around here to far on the driver addition to TF-10's. Just something else to consider.

Yeah I've heard good things about Unique Melody. But to be honest I love the sound of the TF10's too much to modify them. I've been thinking about adding drivers and doing all that sort of stuff but I'd rather not risk it. Could completely change the sound. And if I go with the Quads or Triples from 1964, I'll have the TF10's to fall back on if for some reason I don't like them. 

I'm thinking of going with the Triples, and If i'm not happy with the bass (the only thing i'm scared of) I'll go empty my wallet once again, and get a Headstage arrow or a Fiio e11 so I'm able to fiddle with the sound (pun intended).

Just booked my audiologist appointment this morning. So much excite.

Jun 6, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #6 of 10
Hello LegendaryLvl1... I don't know of anyone who has heard a UM and a 1964-Q. I do know that project86 has heard many UM products and he's owns the 1964-T. If you search you can some find his comparison of various UM models and the triple (or better yet, just inbox him).

Now, as for how 1964 EARS' top of the line model can be comparably close to UM's lowest price model could be many reasons other than sound. My thoughts about this, however, is that 1964 is a fairly new company and set it prices so that customers would be interested in taking a chance with a fairly new player in the customs game (I would be surprised if the company is even two years old or anywhere near it). I think UM has been around for much longer. I think. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

Now, 1964 EARS is about to enter the six-armature driver custom IEM market (hopefully before the year is out). And who knows, the price for this product my be similar to UM's six-driver products, or it may be at a lower cost to be more competitive. So I think these prices are set to be the most competitive and cost effective in a rapidly growing and crowded custom monitor industry. Also, 1964 EARS new custom could cost more as they are having special balanced armature drivers developed for their new model. I think that more so than being concerned with cost, one must really do their research in determining the right sound signature for yourself, since all customs don't sound the same - even if they have the same amount of drivers. Hope that helps.

Jun 6, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 10
I've got tf10x5 its completely changed the tf10 sound ,Im not saying is sounds bad but its sound signiture has changed alot they are more analytical with slight bass hump.TBH if it is going to cost you the same to remould + 3 drivers as to a custom from um or 1946 i would chose those over the remoulds.

Jun 6, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 10
I'm a happy 1964-Ears owner, but I have heard (maybe it was on thread by |joker| maybe somewhere else) that the build quality of Unique Melody is exceptional among customs. Also don't they have a storefront or something in Australia now? That would make it a lot easier to deal with refits and other issues (should they come up).

Part of the reason I got the triples from 1964-Ears is because they're not all that far from me and I just think it's better not to hassle with international if you don't have to.

Jun 7, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #9 of 10
Both are probably great choices, but I would guess, having not heard either but having a lot of experience with various IEMs, that the UM and 1964-ears customs have different sound signatures.  Buying custom IEMs is much different than buying regular IEMs in that you take a big loss if you decide they aren't for you.  

Another company in China, Thousand Sound, has the TS842 at a similar price point and uses a dynamic bass driver.  It reminds me of the TF10, which I reviewed including a comparison with a reshelled TF10 (and I have done a TF10 reshell vs. universal TF10 comparison).  The Thousand Sound just started shipping international and is the most popular custom manufacturer in China from what I have read.  I have a custom IEM resource thread if you wanted to see additional information and just about every manufacturer.

Jun 8, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #10 of 10
Hey Legendary. Mate, Unique Melody are coming down to Sydney with their range of IEMs. If you're not too desperate to get IEMs before July, come down to the Sydney meet- it's gonna be at Hornsby on the July 7th, Sunday froom 9:30-4:30pm

Here's the link to the Sydney meet,  makes sure you rego because there's limited space.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/549400/sydney-meet-10-07-2011-hornsby-9-30-4-30-unique-melody-schiit-jaben-australia-and-twisted-cables-to-join-us/375#post_7526379

Jaban will probably also bring some UE tripple Fi 10, Earsonics SM3 v2 and probably Westone 4. However, as I said Unique Melody will be heading up north to the Sydney meet.

You can also PM UniqueMelodyAus, which is UM and ask them for a trial of their IEMs. Alternatively, you can go to their website and put down a security deposit and trial their IEMs.
Hope this helps
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back