1964 Ears
Jul 2, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #3,991 of 7,417
Well that answered another question that I had about what they did with the impressions.  I have no idea how the heck they would cram another two BAs into these things, I'm looking at mine and they are pretty packed.  I wonder if they might just tune them different?  Not that I want a bass heavy headphone.  I'm very happy with the balanced sound out of the V6s but that is always a good sign that they are continually developing new products and not just resting on their laurels.

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #3,992 of 7,417
They keep your impressions for 2 years.
And the 8 drivers was mentioned last year, but now we have a more specific date for expectation :)

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #3,993 of 7,417
Quote:
What are the benefits of a flush socket other than more choices of aftermarket wires? I read on the 1964 website that it corrodes easier than the recessed one?

....That's probably it.
Aside from a slightly better cable choice and $25 dollars more still in your pocket you're not winning much.
Also upon further inspection it appears the Silver Dragon cable should actually work on recessed sockets as well.

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #3,994 of 7,417
Quote:
They keep your impressions for 2 years.
And the 8 drivers was mentioned last year, but now we have a more specific date for expectation
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd say it's more likely they'll be releasing the V4 revision of the Quad.

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #3,995 of 7,417
Thanks for the review Wraith13.  Glad the V6 has exceeded your expectations.  Do you always use an amp with them?  I was wondering because I plug directly into a portable mp3 player with the highest bit rate.  I've read here that the V6 will not sound good plugging directly into an mp3 because they are too precise.

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #3,996 of 7,417
I'd say it's more likely they'll be releasing the V4 revision of the Quad.

Don't think so. Vitaliy did mention a V8 to a head-fier last year..

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #3,997 of 7,417
Quote:
Thanks for the review Wraith13.  Glad the V6 has exceeded your expectations.  Do you always use an amp with them?  I was wondering because I plug directly into a portable mp3 player with the highest bit rate.  I've read here that the V6 will not sound good plugging directly into an mp3 because they are too precise.

Up to this point I have always used an amp with my V6 (mostly out of habit) but your question made me try out my V6s with just my iPod Classic to see how it sounds.  You know what, I actually still really like the sound just straight out of my iPod.  I did a little A/B test with some songs I really know and love and that test out a whole bunch of different frequency levels.  I have to say that the V6s straight out of the iPod held up admirably and the V6s weren't so precise that they made me enjoy it any less, I actually think that preciseness is what made them sound as good as they did.  

While plugged into my E7K the sound was definitely warmer and a bit more lush, as well as having a bit more bass extension, but I think there were quite a few songs that actually sounded better straight out of the iPod.  I'm going to have to run the full gamut of my headphone test playlist to be sure but I might actually be able to ditch the E7K if this pans out.  I've been hoping to do this for some time just to make the rig all that more portable but I had planned on doing that by buying an X3/X5 or DX50 and not just sticking with my iPod.

Jul 3, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #3,998 of 7,417
Quote:

Up to this point I have always used an amp with my V6 (mostly out of habit) but your question made me try out my V6s with just my iPod Classic to see how it sounds.  You know what, I actually still really like the sound just straight out of my iPod.  I did a little A/B test with some songs I really know and love and that test out a whole bunch of different frequency levels.  I have to say that the V6s straight out of the iPod held up admirably and the V6s weren't so precise that they made me enjoy it any less, I actually think that preciseness is what made them sound as good as they did.  

While plugged into my E7K the sound was definitely warmer and a bit more lush, as well as having a bit more bass extension, but I think there were quite a few songs that actually sounded better straight out of the iPod.  I'm going to have to run the full gamut of my headphone test playlist to be sure but I might actually be able to ditch the E7K if this pans out.  I've been hoping to do this for some time just to make the rig all that more portable but I had planned on doing that by buying an X3/X5 or DX50 and not just sticking with my iPod.

Thanks Wraith13, especially for taking the time to compare.  That's great first hand information and I appreciate your excellent review.  One of my music players is the iPod Classic and the V6 appears to have the sound signature that I prefer, so your experience is valuable.  Looks like the you're leading me to get the V6 -- this will be my first CIEM purchase.

BTW, what bit rate do you use on your music?

Jul 3, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #3,999 of 7,417
Joe,

Most of the stuff I have on my iPod is just 320kbps AAC or ALAC (though mostly AAC).  I have my higher level stuff on my computer since the iPod can't play my 24bit 96kHz+ stuff from HDtracks.  To tell you the truth (and I know this is blasphemy), while I can tell the difference on my rig at home between the two, when I'm out and about I really can't tell the difference enough to worry about it.

These V6s were my 1st CIEMs and I couldn't be happier with them.  Yeah I know there are better sets from the likes of JH Audio and such but for the price I paid for them (I got them on the Memorial Day sale), I think they are awesome.  Make sure you get a good impression at the audiologist and be sure to use a one inch bite block (don't worry, it's in the instructions to the audiologist).

Jul 4, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #4,001 of 7,417
Quote:
Joe,

Most of the stuff I have on my iPod is just 320kbps AAC or ALAC (though mostly AAC).  I have my higher level stuff on my computer since the iPod can't play my 24bit 96kHz+ stuff from HDtracks.  To tell you the truth (and I know this is blasphemy), while I can tell the difference on my rig at home between the two, when I'm out and about I really can't tell the difference enough to worry about it.

These V6s were my 1st CIEMs and I couldn't be happier with them.  Yeah I know there are better sets from the likes of JH Audio and such but for the price I paid for them (I got them on the Memorial Day sale), I think they are awesome.  Make sure you get a good impression at the audiologist and be sure to use a one inch bite block (don't worry, it's in the instructions to the audiologist).

Wraith13,

Thanks for all of the information -- I appreciate your help.  I agree that the V6 is the best bang for the buck.

Jul 9, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #4,003 of 7,417
Just received my V6  today... and man i was totally blown away... not only does it look great but the sound is amazing. Definitely not bass shy, in fact from a very very brief test with a JH16, the V6 bass blows it away. But i only managed to test the JH16 demo for a very short period, so i'll need to revisit and do a longer test again.

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #4,004 of 7,417
So how's the fit and isolation on it? If I choose to do it this could well be my last universal (and am a bit surprised that more companies don't offer this option!). Like I said if I had known about these a lot earlier I could well have been tempted. Oh and any idea if you are likely to get whacked for taxes?

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #4,005 of 7,417
Quote:
So how's the fit and finish and seal on it? If I choose to do it this could well be my last universal (and am a bit surprised that more companies don't offer this option!). Like I said if I had known about these a lot earlier I could well have been tempted. Oh and any idea if you are likely to get whacked for taxes?

They provided olive and foam buds. The fitting, finishing and seal won't be the same for everybody though, but considering my ears are quite small i don't think anyone/most will have any problems. I think some custom companies will sell a universal fitting if you personally request? 
I did get taxed ;(
was rather unlucky since 2 people i asked managed to escape tax with USPS.
But i was only taxed about USD85, which was a pleasant surprised since i was expecting nearly USD200 considering the hefty **** sized tax rate in my country...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back