1964 Ears
Feb 26, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #3,737 of 7,417
can someone recommend a portable amp for the v3's? looking for one .

and is it really worth it getting a dac? so many people recommending a dac or amp but sometimes i wonder what is the point.
does it really improve sound quality?

and most dac can't bypass the dac of the ipod classic? i was thinking of buying a ipod classic but is it a good source since bypassing the dac of the ipod classic is only supported by a few specific dac's.

the reason i want to buy a ipod classic is i use my macbook pro retina to save all my music and syncing with apple products is easy through itunes.

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #3,738 of 7,417
Quote:

and is it really worth it getting a dac? so many people recommending a dac or amp but sometimes i wonder what is the point.

and most dac can't bypass the dac of the ipod classic? i was thinking of buying a ipod classic but is it a good source since bypassing the dac of the ipod classic is only supported by a few specific dac's.

the reason i want to buy a ipod classic is i use my macbook pro retina to save all my music and syncing with apple products is easy through itunes.

The new JDS Labs C5 might do the trick :D

Feb 27, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #3,739 of 7,417
Quote:

Leckerton Audio stuff is also really good, I have the UHA-6S.MKII and have also heard good things about the UHA-4.

If you do get the 6S.MKII and it's only going to be for your V3s I would highly recommend asking Nick to mod it for lower gain, as by default I found the 6S.MKII was way too loud with my 4.As.

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #3,740 of 7,417
Quote:

Leckerton Audio stuff is also really good, I have the UHA-6S.MKII and have also heard good things about the UHA-4.

If you do get the 6S.MKII and it's only going to be for your V3s I would highly recommend asking Nick to mod it for lower gain, as by default I found the 6S.MKII was way too loud with my 4.As.

That is my current pairing when using my MBP and my volume pot is around 7-8 o'clock and that is still a bit loud but necessary to avoid sound imbalance.

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #3,742 of 7,417
thanks guys about the leckerton uha4, 6 do they work with  a ipod classic? since only licenced stuff are allowed to bypass the ipod classic's

internal dac.the c5 looks nice i was wondering does it pair good  with the v3? since the v3 has alot of hiss on high gain ( i noticed it with my macbook pro  retina.)

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #3,744 of 7,417
ok thx burrcub guess my choice is made! c5 in red matches my red v3 good :D

Mar 1, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #3,745 of 7,417
Quote:

This is what I use, and the V3 sounds great with the -12dB low gain.

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #3,746 of 7,417
kidna on the expensive side uha6s

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #3,748 of 7,417
about the uha6s the dac doesn't work with the ipod classic does it?

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #3,750 of 7,417
Quote:
about the uha6s the dac doesn't work with the ipod classic does it?

There are only a handful of devices that will bypass the DAC in the iPod. Fostex HP-P1, CLAS Solo, Sony something something, Centrance HifiM8. I may be missing one or other two but that's pretty much and that's why their prices are much higher than a simple DAC/Amp combo. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back