1964 Ears
Sep 13, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #3,421 of 7,417
Quote:
Wooo, first head-fi'er to get V3's?

@PocketGroove, not long now!

I think I was the first person around here to get the 1964-T back in the day. And at the time they didn't even have the quads developed yet, so it must have been the first set of 1964 Ears customs on this forum. Wow, since then I'd added quite a few CIEMs to my collection, but the 1964-T is still something I enjoy using.

And now I've got the new V3 in. It arrived yesterday actually, very fast shipping. The fit seemed off at first but it was my fault - I had just taken a shower and that always makes my ears tighter. Once I got everything back to normal, they fit very nicely and sound great too.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to take pics. They really do look great though - solid black shell with a brushed aluminum faceplate and 1964 Ears logo in "Side Modern" font.

Off the top of my head, based on a bit of listening on a Sansa Clip+, Meizu 4-core, and a few other players (but not the big home setup): The signature is not drastically changed from the original, but I do think it has more clarity, more bass extension (and a bit more presence though probably still not like the quads), and is generally superior. I also notice a more spacious feeling to the soundstage, which is something I kind of expected based on the 3-way crossover (the original was 2-way). More than that will require more time spent listening, but for now I can say it's a really nice IEM and a worthy replacement in their lineup.

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #3,423 of 7,417
Quote:

I think I was the first person around here to get the 1964-T back in the day. And at the time they didn't even have the quads developed yet, so it must have been the first set of 1964 Ears customs on this forum. Wow, since then I'd added quite a few CIEMs to my collection, but the 1964-T is still something I enjoy using.

And now I've got the new V3 in. It arrived yesterday actually, very fast shipping. The fit seemed off at first but it was my fault - I had just taken a shower and that always makes my ears tighter. Once I got everything back to normal, they fit very nicely and sound great too.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to take pics. They really do look great though - solid black shell with a brushed aluminum faceplate and 1964 Ears logo in "Side Modern" font.

Off the top of my head, based on a bit of listening on a Sansa Clip+, Meizu 4-core, and a few other players (but not the big home setup): The signature is not drastically changed from the original, but I do think it has more clarity, more bass extension (and a bit more presence though probably still not like the quads), and is generally superior. I also notice a more spacious feeling to the soundstage, which is something I kind of expected based on the 3-way crossover (the original was 2-way). More than that will require more time spent listening, but for now I can say it's a really nice IEM and a worthy replacement in their lineup.

Please compare it with the 4.A when you do a review, I really like reading your review as they are pretty spot on with the IEM I got based on your review. 

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #3,424 of 7,417

Also looking forward to some more feedback as I'm going to buy something next week and it's probably gonna be the V3. How long did it take after you had sent them the impressions?

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #3,427 of 7,417
Quote:

Nice. Since the original T sounded good I guess subtle differences is not a bad thing...

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #3,429 of 7,417
Sep 14, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #3,431 of 7,417
I'm with you man, it definitely sucks. Waiting is worth it though, I'm sure it is. I haven't been disappointed by any of my purchases yet
Quote:

Sep 14, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #3,432 of 7,417
Quote:

I'm playing that game with UPS right now.
The iBasso D-zero I ordered last week has been sitting in customs all week. Had to call UPS to find out what was going on. Seems it slipped through the cracks and I may have never got it if I hadn't called.
Still isn't rolling yet though. Kind of a $h!t show.

Sep 15, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #3,433 of 7,417
I'm playing that game with UPS right now.
The iBasso D-zero I ordered last week has been sitting in customs all week. Had to call UPS to find out what was going on. Seems it slipped through the cracks and I may have never got it if I hadn't called.
Still isn't rolling yet though. Kind of a $h!t show.

Sometimes waiting on someone else to do their job is the hardest thing. Then you have to help them! Lol

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #3,434 of 7,417
Quote:
Sometimes waiting on someone else to do their job is the hardest thing. Then you have to help them! Lol

True. So true.
Hey. I ordered a Cowon Z2 yesterday. Can't wait to hear how it pairs with the 1964s...

Sep 16, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #3,435 of 7,417
Quote:
True. So true.
Hey. I ordered a Cowon Z2 yesterday. Can't wait to hear how it pairs with the 1964s...

My J3 does okay with them, but my quads were re-shelled and I'm not sure how that affected the sound (I bought them from another head-fier). I'm not a bass head, so they sound a bit bloated with some electric music (as in amped instruments) unless I tinker with the eq. I think they sound much better with acoustic music, but they aren't significantly better sounding to me than my GR07s. Custom cables are on the way, so maybe they'll sound better (I'm still not sure if it's all a placebo effect) soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back