1964 Ears
Jul 23, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #3,256 of 7,417
Check the link to the list in my signature. I believe Beat Audio has an iPhone cable and some other brands make microphones in the cable. You can use the list as a resource to try and find the right cable with what you need and reviews of the cable. I do believe only 3 of them actually have a microphone on them though.
Quote:
I'm in need of a mic for my phone but still want to use my quads. Do any of you know where I could find a westone cable with a mic? I looked into the EPICS MIC cable, but apparently the microphone on it lets in a lot of BG noise and is pure crap. Does anyone make custom cables with mics?

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #3,257 of 7,417
Quote:

Yep I have been watching those "a lot of people" completely suffering from the awful customer service of UM. RingingEars, if you want to wait for your order for  several months and not know what's going on, go ahead send them to UM. They may be rectifying the situation lately but just reading the entire thread and fellow head-fi'ers experiences, I am quite content content with my Quads and still waiting on the 6 driver upgrade from 1964 Ears. The only other company I may consider is the Heir Audio and that's because the person behind knows what he's doing and great with customers.

Nope. I already have my mind set.
I'm getting the 1964-D.
I was just asking a general question about mix/matching BAs.

Jul 23, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #3,258 of 7,417
Quote:
I'm in need of a mic for my phone but still want to use my quads. Do any of you know where I could find a westone cable with a mic? I looked into the EPICS MIC cable, but apparently the microphone on it lets in a lot of BG noise and is pure crap. Does anyone make custom cables with mics?

Getting a mic on a handmade cable is kinda crazy. I don't think any of the cable makers want to spend that kind of money on such a thing, and it would probably end up costing $$$$. Not to mention, there is no guarantee that it will be better than the Epic Mic cable in terms of noise.

You may want to mod a cable and reterminate it with CIEM pins.

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #3,259 of 7,417
Quote:

Yep I have been watching those "a lot of people" completely suffering from the awful customer service of UM. RingingEars, if you want to wait for your order for  several months and not know what's going on, go ahead send them to UM. They may be rectifying the situation lately but just reading the entire thread and fellow head-fi'ers experiences, I am quite content content with my Quads and still waiting on the 6 driver upgrade from 1964 Ears. The only other company I may consider is the Heir Audio and that's because the person behind knows what he's doing and great with customers.

All I can say is I just had my Quads reshelled by UM (they received them on 6/29) and it took 3 weeks to get them back (but I'm in Vietnam, so that's a factor). The fit is good, but the socket in the left earpiece won't take the pins all the way flush, so I'm going to try to send it back for repair. I've emailed them and they have gotten back to me promptly both times. They've done right by me, but who knows what other people are experiencing at the moment.

I've heard nothing but good things about Heir. Keep in mind that 1964 Quads are going for $600 a pop, so a 6-driver model will be at least $700, likely more...If you can get a hold of some second-hand Heirs, they only charge $70 to re-shell them and they're the only company with that type of re-shelling discount as far as I know. 

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #3,261 of 7,417
Quote:
Question...

Why is it good to have 7+ drivers? Is this just going to be, "who can fit the most drivers in a headphone" type of thing?

In theory the more (and therefore more specialized) drivers you have, the clearer each should be able to reproduce just its specific frequency range.

With that said, yes, it's certainly possible driver count will become what megapixel count was/is (bigger always pitched as better ignoring all other information).

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #3,262 of 7,417
I see. I laugh at megapixels. If your not going to print your image on a huge canvas, then Megapixels don't matter.

Thanks for the clarification. I just think 7-8 drivers is a bit much. 4 is even pushing it.

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #3,263 of 7,417
It's not the amount of drivers at all. To a certain point, yes, you'll be able to achieve more clarity easier with more drivers. But if you've ever heard some of the big hitters in the CIEM world, you'd change your mind. The amount of drivers just allow the company to develop the sound signature they want for that product. I listened to generic UE 18 Pro's and was a bit blown back by how stuffy the bass seemed due to the extra emphasis it has. 
Quote:

In theory the more (and therefore more specialized) drivers you have, the clearer each should be able to reproduce just its specific frequency range.

With that said, yes, it's certainly possible driver count will become what megapixel count was/is (bigger always pitched as better ignoring all other information).

Megapixels dont matter. The space rover thing on mars (or some other planet) only has a 1 megapixel lens on it, but it's ridiculously large and takes outrageously beautiful pictures at large sizes. It's not about how many you have, it's about how you utilize what you have. 
Quote:
I see. I laugh at megapixels. If your not going to print your image on a huge canvas, then Megapixels don't matter.

Thanks for the clarification. I just think 7-8 drivers is a bit much. 4 is even pushing it.

Jul 25, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #3,264 of 7,417
I'm new to the forum, but agree with kenman345. I'll be ordering either the 1964-T's or quads, not sure yet. I'd imagine the triples will be better than anything I'm used to listening to in ear buds or headhones anyways. One post stated that the quads had better low end...don't know why if the both have two low-end drivers. Unless it has to do with the extra (deticated) mid and high drivers adding some sort of definition being mistaken for bettter lows. Dunno....on the fence about what to do. I'm a drummer who sings backing vocals and makes stupid faces when I play! Ugh, should i get the soft canals too??? this is geting expensive!

Jul 25, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #3,265 of 7,417
Pretty sure the Quads are more your boat if you're a drummer. You may also wanna check out Aurisonics AS-1's for their signature that would lend itself well to a vocalist who's also a drummer. Please PM me if you wanna know more about them, I'll give you the quick and dirty details on what the AS-1's have to offer.

But I would definitely suggest the Quads for your usage if you're a drummer that does vocals. It should be a much better overall experience for you than the trips (AFAIK)

BTW, Base model of AS-1's is $399. I can't wait to get mine in. I think I'm going to get a set of Duals from 1964ears after that though just to try different manufacturers and different driver setups and signatures.
Quote:
I'm new to the forum, but agree with kenman345. I'll be ordering either the 1964-T's or quads, not sure yet. I'd imagine the triples will be better than anything I'm used to listening to in ear buds or headhones anyways. One post stated that the quads had better low end...don't know why if the both have two low-end drivers. Unless it has to do with the extra (deticated) mid and high drivers adding some sort of definition being mistaken for bettter lows. Dunno....on the fence about what to do. I'm a drummer who sings backing vocals and makes stupid faces when I play! Ugh, should i get the soft canals too??? this is geting expensive!

Jul 25, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #3,266 of 7,417
I've got an app. on Tues for my impressions. I was asking my audiologist a few questions today and it turns out they are a dealer for Westone and have done a ton of impressions so I'm pretty confident they'll do a good job.
I called a couple other places for pricing. The highest I got was $75.00 per ear. Yep... $150.00 for impressions. My audiologist is charging me $30.00 for both.
I think the color scheme I have settled on is wine red trans for the right, blue trans for the left, and both with black caps.
I hope they'll sound as good as they'll look.
etysmile.gif

Now for the long wait process.

Jul 25, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #3,267 of 7,417
Have fun at the audiologist. I've heard some crazy prices as well for ear impressions. I thought the person I went to for my impressions was expensive but it actually turned out the price was for a pair of ears, not just one ear. 

Those aesthetic options sound interesting, Post pictures when you eventually get them. I'm sure they'll look great. From everything I have heard about 1964ears, I wouldn't be surprised if you're very happy with your purchase. Waiting can be the hardest thing to do sometimes.
Quote:
I've got an app. on Tues for my impressions. I was asking my audiologist a few questions today and it turns out they are a dealer for Westone and have done a ton of impressions so I'm pretty confident they'll do a good job.
I called a couple other places for pricing. The highest I got was $75.00 per ear. Yep... $150.00 for impressions. My audiologist is charging me $30.00 for both.
I think the color scheme I have settled on is wine red trans for the right, blue trans for the left, and both with black caps.
etysmile.gif

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #3,268 of 7,417
Quote:
Have fun at the audiologist. I've heard some crazy prices as well for ear impressions. I thought the person I went to for my impressions was expensive but it actually turned out the price was for a pair of ears, not just one ear. 

Those aesthetic options sound interesting, Post pictures when you eventually get them. I'm sure they'll look great. From everything I have heard about 1964ears, I wouldn't be surprised if you're very happy with your purchase. Waiting can be the hardest thing to do sometimes.

Thanks.
I see you're thinking of getting the duals. If mine come in before you order yours I'll give my thoughts on them.

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #3,270 of 7,417
Quote:
etysmile.gif

Kinda like these?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back