1964 Ears
Aug 11, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #2,701 of 7,417
Ye gods, that's more than eight times what I paid for my original shipment! Even your first customs charge was more than six times what I paid. 

For the record, the refit package I got was marked returned goods and warranty repair.

Quote:
I recieved a notice that my triples have arrived,I wasn't home.
They are charching me 105,40 euroos!!!!Thats about $150.I am angry as hell right now.The first time I allready paid 80 euroos import and tax fees.Don't know how they come up with 105,40 now.
I mailed 1964 ears,and they tolled me they shipped the triples as returned goods,no warranty repair...
Last time I am getting custums
angry_face.gif
Don't even know if the fit is good now.

Aug 12, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #2,702 of 7,417
Everyone's going to get sick of me soon :wink:

Just had my impressions done. Couple of things....

He didn't use a cotton dam, instead the audiologist used a foam dam. Is this going to be a big issue?

Also, he commented on the fact that I have quite straight ear canals. Does anyone else have this, and will it have much of an affect on the quality of the seal? I can up a pic of the impressions if doesn't make sense?

Ohhh I feel like the ball is finally rolling to getting my quads. I listen to music for a good 3-4 hours a day and use them for playing my electric guitar while away for work, so they'll hardly collect dust!!!!

Cheers,

Pete

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #2,703 of 7,417
Quads + Audinst MX1 amp = a whole lotta awesome.  The neutral, uncolored, slightly smooth MX1 is an excellent match with the Quads signature.  And goodness, the bass just SINGS.  I noticed a really impressive amount of space around instruments and the overall dynamic nature of the sound was simply stunning.

Aug 12, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #2,704 of 7,417

Quote:
Trying to sort out my order for my quads. Picking the quads is easy, but working out the colours and that is killing me!!! Did anyone else find this?

Also recessed sockets, do they provide any protection for the cable, or are they just cosmetic?

Cheers,

Pete

I found choosing a colour pretty easy. I'm already spending (for me) very big bucks on custom monitors, so I don't feel like I need to spend another $50 in options to personalize them.
So I went with no art, no logo. I felt like clear was too boring, and so I got a color that
A) I love and
B) will not clash what I wear on stage (I'm a pro musician)

I tend to wear black or gray jeans and t-shirts and most of my shirts are blue or green. So if I got bright red or orange monitors, they would look out of place.
Silly and vain, I know, but as this is literally my job, I make sure I feel comfortable and look ok on stage.

Mine should look like this:

I just realized that they are exactly the same color as my favorite guitar, a 2001 G&L ASAT semihollow, maybe that's subconsciously why I choose that shade of blue:

doh, should have ironed my shirt that day . . . 

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #2,705 of 7,417

Quote:
Everyone's going to get sick of me soon :wink:

Just had my impressions done. Couple of things....

He didn't use a cotton dam, instead the audiologist used a foam dam. Is this going to be a big issue?

Also, he commented on the fact that I have quite straight ear canals. Does anyone else have this, and will it have much of an affect on the quality of the seal? I can up a pic of the impressions if doesn't make sense?

Ohhh I feel like the ball is finally rolling to getting my quads. I listen to music for a good 3-4 hours a day and use them for playing my electric guitar while away for work, so they'll hardly collect dust!!!!

Cheers,

Pete

Shouldn't be a problem boss, as long as you took some nice deep (few mm past second bend) impressions.

You'll run into trouble with the foam tips if your impression is particularly short as they can remove a bit of impression material when your 'fix up' the impression.

Aug 12, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #2,706 of 7,417
Picking colors were pretty hard for me, since I was thinking of stopping my IEM search with this very pair. Took about a week or so, browsing all the picture albums of custom IEMs I could find (JH Audio, UM, UE, 1964) on their websites and facebook pages. Try that, helps a lot.

To be honest, had the quads for nearly 4 months now and my artwork is still not decided. I left the middle of the faceplate blank, thinking on a logo or something to put on later, sending it back to them to do it for me.
beerchug.gif

Regarding recessed sockets, They seem to provide some support for times when you snag the cable and tug on the sockets sideways. Prevents the socket connectors from bending I guess. But I did get recessed sockets and had quite a trouble trying to fit an aftermarket cable into it, since 1964 EARS somehow makes the sockets much more recessed than other brands  like JH audio.

Quote:
Trying to sort out my order for my quads. Picking the quads is easy, but working out the colours and that is killing me!!! Did anyone else find this?

Also recessed sockets, do they provide any protection for the cable, or are they just cosmetic?

Cheers,

Pete

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #2,707 of 7,417
Another quick question regarding the fitment of my new customs....

Does anyone ever get like a vacuum pressure type feeling in their ears.  Sometimes I get a pressure build up from the seal and is discomforting.  It can actually block me from hearing as well as I should.  The only thing I could compare it to would be flying in an airplane when the pressure builds up in your ears and then you have to pop your ears.  I find myself  breaking the seal on purpose to relieve the pressure in my ears.  Im wondering if maybe my customs are actually too large?  Any help would be appreciated.

Id love to get the fitment down on these things but Im afraid to send them back in because I wont be able to pinpoint where they would need to add/remove size to the IEM's.  Then they could get all messed up.  If I never sent them in I would be happy with them cause they sound amazing and fit OK but if they fit perfect it would make listening to them that much more enjoyable.

Aug 13, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #2,708 of 7,417

Quote:
Another quick question regarding the fitment of my new customs....

Does anyone ever get like a vacuum pressure type feeling in their ears.  Sometimes I get a pressure build up from the seal and is discomforting.  It can actually block me from hearing as well as I should.  The only thing I could compare it to would be flying in an airplane when the pressure builds up in your ears and then you have to pop your ears.  I find myself  breaking the seal on purpose to relieve the pressure in my ears.  Im wondering if maybe my customs are actually too large?  Any help would be appreciated.

Id love to get the fitment down on these things but Im afraid to send them back in because I wont be able to pinpoint where they would need to add/remove size to the IEM's.  Then they could get all messed up.  If I never sent them in I would be happy with them cause they sound amazing and fit OK but if they fit perfect it would make listening to them that much more enjoyable.

Yes, it's fine, just break the seal and equalize the pressure to hear your customs the way they were meant to be heard. You'll learn to put your customs in your ears without as much pressure and you'll only need to break the seal occasionally.

Also, try replacing the word "fitment" for the word "fit". You'll soon see that there's never a correct time to use the word fitment on head-fi.

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #2,710 of 7,417
Sent my impressions yesterday! Can't wait! Going to do a huge comparison/review comparing the 1964-Q's with the SE535 and Westone 4 when they arrive. Testing with a range of portable amps including the JDS cMoy (low budget, medium power), SR-71A (high budget, medium to high power) and ALO Continental (high budget, high power). Really excited lol.

Aug 21, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #2,711 of 7,417
i remember naim.f.c remarked that the westone 4 tends to favour backing instruments, leaving vocals somewhat distant presentation wise - would this be considered laid-back?  is the 1964 like this or are vocals / center channel more forward / closer to you in the mix?

if this isn't what 'laid back' refers to when people refer to the 1964 house sound, then what is?

Aug 21, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #2,712 of 7,417

Quote:
i remember naim.f.c remarked that the westone 4 tends to favour backing instruments, leaving vocals somewhat distant presentation wise - would this be considered laid-back?  is the 1964 like this or are vocals / center channel more forward / closer to you in the mix?

if this isn't what 'laid back' refers to when people refer to the 1964 house sound, then what is?

'Laid back' refers to being relaxed rather than aggressive sounding.  It's not really appropriate for recession, SS depth or being pushed back or shelved down.  'Laid back' is really derived from slang meaning relaxed or kicking your feet up.  It's not literal.  

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #2,715 of 7,417
In terms of technical ability, they are the best I've heard. It's almost like a perfect blend of coffee. They do everything very well but other iems I've heard do only certain things better. I'm someone who like a large soundstage so I'm kinda disappointed with them in that regard but everything has it's own sense of space and the wonderful 3D imaging makes me temporarily forget about my craving for a large soundstage. It's the technical wizard of the iems I've heard.

Quote:
They look nice but how do they sound? =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back